CanJam SoCal 2022 (September 17-18, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #166 of 687
Registered!

Do you think we'll have to mask up...?

Or will my ruggedly handsome good looks keep the covid away?...
If they have a mask mandate I will not go.

Jul 26, 2022 at 8:57 PM Post #167 of 687
I used to LOVE coming to CanJam

Used to? 🥺 😆

Think kid in a candy store, bouncing around from ALL the booths with no strategic plan in place.

Ooh, and it's going to be even tougher for first-time attendees to SoCal this year - not only because it's their first time, but because this upcoming CanJam SoCal may very well be the most comprehensive ever. Even though we're still over six weeks out, I believe we're almost at capacity for exhibitor spaces.

I'll have to double check with Ethan, but I believe CanJam SoCal 2022 is officially in the running for the largest CanJam ever.

(with the PW Orpheus the most expensive unplanned Point-of-Sale purchase in my life, but happy though lol)

Wow! 😮 😃

Hence my delightful conundrum heading into SoCal CanJam: the "minimalist" angle on my shoulder is saying I should stay tight in focus

I have to say, I am thoroughly impressed with your focus and discipline sir! And I would heavily advise you to stick to your game plan 😉 for the remainder of the year, because...

Portable endgame has been reached!

...the variable that's about to throw a wrench in your works are future releases. I can tell you that, at this moment, there are at least five unreleased items in the portable space that you'll want to check out before declaring victory lol. 😄 I mentioned a couple of them in the CanJam London preview video, but there are more coming in time for CanJam SoCal. So yeah, you might want to wait just a bit more before closing the book on that chapter.

And what are you thinking about focusing on for yourself at SoCal?

You know, I haven't even thought about that in years. But since you asked this the other day, I've been thinking about my trajectory over the past few years.

It turns out that I've been curating two completely different rigs on the desktop end. One is a neutral/detail rig based on the LCD-5. The other is a euphonic/pleasure rig based on ZMF's Atrium.

And now it looks like I'm headed down the same road on the portable side. So for me, there's a very specific prototype IEM that I'm keen on trying at SoCal, that might wind up being my pure pleasure IEM - that's my focus atm.

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:09 AM Post #169 of 687
Used to? 🥺 😆

Ooh, and it's going to be even tougher for first-time attendees to SoCal this year - not only because it's their first time, but because this upcoming CanJam SoCal may very well be the most comprehensive ever. Even though we're still over six weeks out, I believe we're almost at capacity for exhibitor spaces.

I'll have to double check with Ethan, but I believe CanJam SoCal 2022 is officially in the running for the largest CanJam ever.

Wow! 😮 😃

I have to say, I am thoroughly impressed with your focus and discipline sir! And I would heavily advise you to stick to your game plan 😉 for the remainder of the year, because...

...the variable that's about to throw a wrench in your works are future releases. I can tell you that, at this moment, there are at least five unreleased items in the portable space that you'll want to check out before declaring victory lol. 😄 I mentioned a couple of them in the CanJam London preview video, but there are more coming in time for CanJam SoCal. So yeah, you might want to wait just a bit more before closing the book on that chapter.

You know, I haven't even thought about that in years. But since you asked this the other day, I've been thinking about my trajectory over the past few years.

It turns out that I've been curating two completely different rigs on the desktop end. One is a neutral/detail rig based on the LCD-5. The other is a euphonic/pleasure rig based on ZMF's Atrium.

And now it looks like I'm headed down the same road on the portable side. So for me, there's a very specific prototype IEM that I'm keen on trying at SoCal, that might wind up being my pure pleasure IEM - that's my focus atm.
Interesting. You’re such a tease, lol! Can’t wait to learn more about these special portable offerings you hint at. Makes CanJam feel like Christmas!

Jul 27, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #171 of 687
Jul 27, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #172 of 687
Used to? 🥺 😆

Wow! 😮 😃

Largest CanJam ever! wow... also we all know new releases are the bane of endgame... the is no end game... no big boss to defeat it's all about the journey... the journey towards audio bliss and away from comfortable retirement savings! :p

Any way I am definitely looking foraward to this! I have a list of things I am supposed to listen too but will probably run around willy nilly gawking at things and trying to decide what to hear based on some set of artificial criteria I determine on the spot.

Jul 27, 2022 at 1:49 PM Post #173 of 687
Largest CanJam ever! wow... also we all know new releases are the bane of endgame... the is no end game... no big boss to defeat it's all about the journey... the journey towards audio bliss and away from comfortable retirement savings! :p

Yeah, but I figured that @Skyediver could at least resign himself to having covered everything through 2022. That makes it easier for him to keep track, so that he can do a portable hiatus in 2023, to focus on desktop gear.

Any way I am definitely looking forward to this! I have a list of things I am supposed to listen too but will probably run around willy nilly gawking at things and trying to decide what to hear based on some set of artificial criteria I determine on the spot.

We should do live call-outs in the impressions thread! Like, not firm impressions, but just something to alert everybody else at the show: "OMG, I just heard the whatchamacallit from so-and-so, and the mid-range detail and texture is amazing!" That way, just by posting in (and following) the impressions thread at the show, we'd all get clued-in and not miss something important.

Jul 27, 2022 at 2:14 PM Post #174 of 687
Since you have the BTR5, you should check out the iFi audio Go Blu - a nice bluetooth device. I also just saw iFi audio has a new "dongle" named the Go bar that can be run off a phone, and I presume off a laptop.

EE items are incredible...keep an eye on the forum for a EE rep to have listening opportunities Friday night before the show. They did that at CanJam NYC, I think Chicago and I saw something similar for next week's London CanJam.

There will be a few to demo from our various distributors going around. Quite a few community members going will have them too.

I'll pass this time, thanks for the invite though! Got a full weekend booked of dinners and lunches with the team and friends this year.

Yeah - this is what my schedule is looking like to. My evening plans are already got swiped up a few months in advance.

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #175 of 687
We should do live call-outs in the impressions thread!
Problem with that is I seldom check out Head-Fi while attending a CanJam... I am sure plenty others are the same.
We need to come up with a different method for notifying attendees during the show! :thinking:

Jul 27, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #176 of 687
Problem with that is I seldom check out Head-Fi while attending a CanJam... I am sure plenty others are the same.
We need to come up with a different method for notifying attendees during the show! :thinking:

As long as it's not a chat/messaging app, I'm fine with whatever. Chat apps with notifications can get very annoying, very quickly, especially for anybody using their phone + DAC/amp as a source.

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #177 of 687
As long as it's not a chat/messaging app, I'm fine with whatever. Chat apps with notifications can get very annoying, very quickly, especially for anybody using their phone + DAC/amp as a source.
Maybe have a designated spot, close by to the show floor but far enough not to annoy people auditioning stuff, that people can gather at when cleansing their ears / brain. There, we can give each other pointers and quick impressions on equipment we just auditioned...

Jul 27, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #178 of 687
Maybe have a designated spot, close by to the show floor but far enough not to annoy people auditioning stuff, that people can gather at when cleansing their ears / brain. There, we can give each other pointers and quick impressions on equipment we just auditioned...

But then we'd all have to be taking breaks at exactly the same time in order to share information... unless we set up a large pad on an easel to leave each other messages, in which case we might as well just use the impressions thread. :smile:

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #179 of 687
Yeah, but I figured that @Skyediver could at least resign himself to having covered everything through 2022. That makes it easier for him to keep track, so that he can do a portable hiatus in 2023, to focus on desktop gear.
Fully realizing there's never an "endgame", just continuous walk along the audiophile path, lol! But this is exactly the plan (I think) I'll land on. Saturday for portable focus (possible purchases), Sunday laying the groundwork with carefree aspirational listening with desktop gear on the mind.

We'll see how solid I am at sticking to this, no promises!

Jul 27, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #180 of 687
We should do live call-outs in the impressions thread! Like, not firm impressions, but just something to alert everybody else at the show: "OMG, I just heard the whatchamacallit from so-and-so, and the mid-range detail and texture is amazing!" That way, just by posting in (and following) the impressions thread at the show, we'd all get clued-in and not miss something important.

Given how busy it is going to be, doing the Bruce Springsteen trick like in Back to School might be the best plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back