CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 28, 2021 at 6:10 AM Post #391 of 616
Brief Show Impressions

I mostly listen to non-vocal EDM as well as some OSTs/VGM, classical, and rock/pop. Prefer a warmish (but not too warm) relatively well-balanced sound signature, comfort, good bass, not too bright. Exclusively use closed backs these days to lower noise floor and block out noise of home appliances, traffic, neighbors, etc. Current chain is ADI-2 -> GS-X mini -> Stellia. Haven't heard the headphones below before, unless I specify that I have.

~~~

Abyss 1266 (Phi TC?)
Heard this at the Wells Audio booth. Unit had a broken headband but was jerry-rigged to sit on head. Really awesome sound, I see why people love these. Has the control and extension of planar driver bass combined with the slam and impact of dynamic driver bass. Excellent detail and dynamics. Well-balanced sound signature overall and would work great with any genre. Their problem is comfort which is very poor.

CRBN
Only spent 5 minutes with these with a very limited track selection [soapbox rant: exhibitors need to prepare an extensive collection of local files before Canjams because the wifi fails every time]. Less bright and more balanced sound signature than SR-009 + Blue Hawaii with maybe slightly better bass, but didn't have as much of the magic as that combo. Maybe it was the amp/DAC? Would like to spend more time with them. Comfortable.

Ferrum OOR + LCD-XC
Don't have much a frame of reference since I haven't heard either, but this combo was really good. Very well-controlled, authoritative sound. This amp is legit. LCD-XC is one of the more balanced sounding closed-backs with great bass and punches above its price, but still too uncomfortable due to weight. If Audeze could use some of the weight-reducing tech from the LCD-5 in their more affordable headphones, they'd have some real winners.

HD 800S
Can't believe I've never listened to these. The soundstage is as amazing as everyone says, definitely the largest I've heard. Great separation, imaging, detail. Wasn't too bright on what I believe was an ampandsound amp. Comfortable. Weakness is poor bass impact/slam.

LCD-5
Only had 5 minutes with an extremely limited track selection so hard to give a good evaluation. But wow. Finally, a comfortable Audeze headphone. Bass is as good or better (more controlled) than an LCD-4z (which I owned for some time). Wonderful mids. Brighter than other LCD headphones, but I didn't hear any sibilance. Very engaging, dynamic. Like a Utopia with better bass and less brightness. Should be great with all genres. If I were in the market for an open-back, this would probably be at the top of my list.

R10P?
Listened to the version with the HEXXXX/Susvara headband at the Hifiman booth plugged into an amp. Reminded me of an MDR-Z1R only better with a big soundstage, deep enveloping bass, airy top end with fewer bright peaks. Colored and euphonic. Quite nice but sound signature is not balanced enough to be a daily driver. Would be nice as a second or third headphone if you have that kind of budget.

SR-007/SR-009 + Blue Hawaii
I've heard this combo before and it has the flagship electrostatic magic I remember. A must-hear if one gets the opportunity. I've preferred the SR-007 in the past, but I prefer the SR-009 now.

SR1a/SR2a?
SR1a have one of the most unique sound presentations. One of the closest simulacrums to a live performance short of actual speakers. Definitely worth experiencing. Comfort was OK, but it feels weird to wear and you can't move your head around much. Not much bass extension.

The SR2a (not sure if this is the actual name), a circumaural headphone with a ribbon driver to be released soon, was too bright and sibilant and needs retuning. Doesn't have as much of the live performance feel of the SR1a while retaining its poor bass extension.

Stealth
Was most excited to hear these as they seemed to have the potential to replace my Stellia. Listened to them by far the longest of any cans at the show. I can see why they're somewhat polarizing.

Pros: very balanced sound signature with no peaks or sibilance; amazing soundstage and imaging for a closed-back; good bass extension; great detail retrieval; super comfortable; great noise isolation; non-fatiguing

Cons: bass impact/slam is poor and for the genres I mostly listen to this is a dealbreaker; macrodynamics: so non-fatiguing and inoffensive that it can be perceived as unexciting

If this headphone had Audeze bass and Focal dynamics, it would be perfect. Alas, no headphone is perfect and trade-offs must be made. The Stellia is still the closed-back for me.

Susvara + GS-X mk2
I've heard this before and was glad to hear it again. Like the SR-009 + Blue Hawaii, it's a flagship setup that is a must-hear.

~~~

Could only attend one day for a few hours or I would've listened to much more. Had a great time and I want to say thank you to Head-Fi and all the exhibitors for making it happen. Until the next one!

:)

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:38 AM Post #392 of 616
Based on the specs lcd-5 (14ohms/90db) should be just slightly easier to drive than Arya (32ohms/90db). Agree that I wouldn't call it "hard to drive", but you're not going to be able to run it off a dongle dac either, and you're going to want sufficient power to pull the best out of its low end.

I use a THX Onyx dongle to drive a pair of Abyss Diana v2 (42 Ohm, 91 dB/w) from time to time, sounds great!

Sep 28, 2021 at 6:57 AM Post #393 of 616
Thanks for sharing your impressions!
Ferrum OOR + LCD-XC
Don't have much a frame of reference since I haven't heard either, but this combo was really good. Very well-controlled, authoritative sound. This amp is legit. LCD-XC is one of the more balanced sounding closed-backs with great bass and punches above its price, but still too uncomfortable due to weight. If Audeze could use some of the weight-reducing tech from the LCD-5 in their more affordable headphones, they'd have some real winners.
How would the OOR compare to other amps you're familiar with?
LCD-5
Only had 5 minutes with an extremely limited track selection so hard to give a good evaluation. But wow. Finally, a comfortable Audeze headphone. Bass is as good or better (more controlled) than an LCD-4z (which I owned for some time). Wonderful mids. Brighter than other LCD headphones, but I didn't hear any sibilance. Very engaging, dynamic. Like a Utopia with better bass and less brightness. Should be great with all genres. If I were in the market for an open-back, this would probably be at the top of my list.
Your LCD-5 impressions and comparison with the Utopia got me tempted to get the LCD-5. Oh no...

Sep 28, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #394 of 616
Thanks for sharing your impressions!

How would the OOR compare to other amps you're familiar with?

Your LCD-5 impressions and comparison with the Utopia got me tempted to get the LCD-5. Oh no...
The only amp of a similar caliber I'm very familiar with is my GS-X mini. Comparing them is difficult given my limited time with the OOR, the LCD-XC that I hadn't heard before, and not knowing whatever DAC Ferrum was using. I will say that the mini is definitely somewhat warmer, maybe somewhat less precise than the OOR. The OOR was precise while still being engaging to listen to, not clinical at all. It also had a very black background that I noticed despite the noise of the show. I don't recall if they were using the Hypsos with the OOR I listened to.

Sep 28, 2021 at 8:34 AM Post #395 of 616
It's $4k? I thought it was like $2500. Or I'm looking at the wrong one?

The YULONG DA1 is two box design. The main unit is a standalone All-in-One at $2499, the Power Station is an "optional" external power supply upgrade at $1,599. You can buy them as a set at $3999.

EmptyName_6.jpg

Last edited:
Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 28, 2021 at 8:56 AM Post #396 of 616
The YULONG DA1 is two box design. The main unit is a standalone All-in-One at $2499, the Power Station is an "optional" external power supply upgrade at $1,599. You can buy them as a set at $3999.
Does the DA1 have enough power on its own to drive the LCD-5s or other difficult HPs/ Or does it need the power station to do so?

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:22 AM Post #397 of 616
Does the DA1 have enough power on its own to drive the LCD-5s or other difficult HPs/ Or does it need the power station to do so?
We describe the Power Station as an "optional but significant upgrade". The Power Station didn't increase the rated output of the DA1. The Power Station is offers qualitative improvement such as headroom, control, refinement, and authority. DA1 don't need the power station to drive demanding headphones. @project86 has compare the standalone DA1 against the DA1+ Power Station combo in detail in his DA1 review, you can check it out here if you want to find out if you should include the Power Station in your budget.

I shall provide the specification HeadAmp section of DA1 for your reference.

1632838873207.png

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Sep 28, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #398 of 616
We describe the Power Station as an "optional but significant upgrade". The Power Station didn't increase the rated output of the DA1. The Power Station is offers qualitative improvement such as headroom, control, refinement, and authority. DA1 don't need the power station to drive demanding headphones. @project86 has compare the standalone DA1 against the DA1+ Power Station combo in detail in his DA1 review, you can check it out here if you want to find out if you should include the Power Station in your budget.

I shall provide the specification HeadAmp section of DA1 for your reference.

1632838873207.png
These specs look very similar to the IHA-6, how would you describe the differences between this amp and the IHA-6?

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #399 of 616
guess it was overblown? everyone was worried about the bass based on measurements and none of it based on experience
Completely. The bass is all there. Don't know what or how these things are being measured, because reality does not reflect the measurements.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #401 of 616
Does anyone know the amp at the Hifiman booth they were demoing the Arya Stealth Magnet version with? I can't tell if I was blown away by the amp or the new Arya...or both!
When I stopped by it was hooked up to a Benchmark DAC2 HGC. I also had a brief listen on the Auris Nirvana White.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #402 of 616
To elaborate on the Audeze booth questions, here are our CSO Mark Cohen's responses:

1. Did the Weiss have any EQ on?

We made certain that all features on the Weiss were "off."

2. For customer(s) asking what amps are powerful enough for the LCD-5?

We’re all very fortunate that we now have many, many powerful headphone amps to choose from (which was not the case when the LCD-4 was first released). Please forgive this overly long sentence, but some to consider:

Chord Dave
Hugo TT2 (even their portable Hugo2)
Bryston
SPL (we suggest you use the DIP switches for high gain and XLR)
DCS Bartok
Nagra Tube DAC
Weiss 502
Pathos Inpol Ear
Benchmark HPA4
Manley
Luxman 750
Pass Labs (but not if you want to listen really loud

...and probably many others I’ve missed. Apologies to those manufacturers whose amps I might have left out; but I’m certain many Head-fiers have other suggestions that would be welcomed. Perhaps the important thing to note here is that yes, you can plug the LCD-4/5 into a less powerful amp and yes, music will come out. However, if you really want them to “get up and dance,” more power is always the answer.
Don't forget the CFA3. 16W into 50 ohms. That's hot, baby!

sorry wimps.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:44 PM Post #403 of 616
I don't know how an Lcd5 could sound good with the Dave. I remember the first time I heard that "Dave" with the Empyrean and it sounded like thin crap to my ears. I guess I just dislike Chord sound. Doesn't matter what it is.

Sep 28, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #404 of 616
Completely. The bass is all there. Don't know what or how these things are being measured, because reality does not reflect the measurements.
awesome reviewer and very credible person imho (a producer with a respectable body of work repertoire under him) -

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #405 of 616
I don't know how an Lcd5 could sound good with the Dave. I remember the first time I heard that "Dave" with the Empyrean and it sounded like thin crap to my ears. I guess I just dislike Chord sound. Doesn't matter what it is.
There's definitely a crowd of pro vs anti Chord sound from all of my research into them. Seems very much like a love/hate things haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back