Sponsor: Yulong Audio
- Aug 23, 2012
YULONG DA1 is our TOTL All-in-One for Personal and Home Audio applications. It can function as a DAC/preamplifier/head-amp independently or stack up with the optional 240W Power Station that we developed alongside the DA1 from the very beginning. The chassis of the DA1 Main unit and DA1 Power Station are CNC milled from solid aluminum alloy, the seamless case is elegant and solidly built, and they can disperse heat effectively to keep DA1 in an optimal operating condition.
We have dug deep into the AKM flagship 32-bit AK4499EQ DAC chipset and designed an exotic supporting circuity and power supply system from the ground up. We have also further improved our well-received proprietary Jitter and Control (JIC) FPGA solution. This will enhance audio performance by optimized data integrity, de-jitter, and minimized digital artifact before the digital signal transmits to the DAC chip. We passionately believe a high-quality DAC chipset will only be meaningful when the pre-conversion digital processing is also top-notch.
With both digital and analog inputs in place, YULONG DA1 can serve as your personal audio hub for varieties of applications. We have designed the circuitry independently and developed four different circuit switching modes to maximize the performance of the DA1. The analog section is a fully balanced design with discrete components. The Class A circuit can be configured as a headphone amplifier or pre-amplifier depending on the user application. The headphone amplifier offers an exceptional driving capability and can handle headphones with different impedance, sensitivity, and design. Rated at up to 5 watts per channel (at 32 Ohm), you can expect a stellar dynamic range and headroom, even when fed with a difficult load.
The DA1 measures exceptionally well, and it also sounds stunningly refined and musical because we have devoted a lot of resources to fine-tune the audio performance through repeated audition and modifications. We have also paid a lot of attention to small details. The DA1 operation is controlled intuitively through a single high precision probably damped volume knob. All playback and setting information are clearly displayed on the large IPS wide-angle LCD screen.
Outstanding digital audio capability
- Proprietary 4th generation high precision low tolerance YULONG Jitter and Interface Control (JIC) FPGA solution.
- Receive and convert all input digital signals into low-jitter I2S bit-stream.
- De-jitter by FIFO digital signal buffering while synchronizing with the built-in Femtosecond Oscillators.
- Pulled in and locked the signal by a dual PLL;
- Distribute and synchronize the signal and then output high-quality low-jitter I2S bit-stream through FIFO.
- Design around AK4499EQ chipset with industry-leading 32Bit/768kHz and DSD512.
- Independent circuit buffered with high output current and built by discrete components.
- Cross-examined in numerous speaker and headphone sound systems to safeguard adaptability with different playback environments.
- Choice of 1x or 2x Clock Sync to personalize sound signature.
- Widely recognized XMOS XU208 solution with customized (with license) Thesycon driver to enhance sound quality and stability.
- Choices of 3 digital filters to fine-tune your system for different music genres and personal preference.
- USB Audio supports MS Windows, macOS, and Linux. Special attention to enhance support to Android and iOS mobile and tablet devices.
State-of-the-art analogue implementation
- Class A headphone amplification circuit composed of 12 high output audio grade power transistors, delivers up to 5 watts per channel output.
- Amplification circuit can switch over to become a very strong Class A preamplifier, ready for active speakers or power amplifiers with ease.
- 99 steps digitally controlled analog volume for Preamp and headphone output.
- Fully balanced design, low impedance DAC line output, high current preamp, and headphone amplification.
- The main unit power supply is an in-house developed fully discrete voltage regulator circuit that provides constant current power supply to reference regulator, delivers outstanding transient current up to 15A, lots of headroom even at demanding condition.
- Heavy-duty exotically built 240W external power supply to enhance the audio performance for the most demanding users.
We have designed and laid out the circuitry independently in order to minimize the ripple effect and developed four different circuit switching modes to maximize the performance of the DA1 in different scenarios.
- Pure DAC: When used as PURE DAC, the power supply to the headphone and preamplifier circuit will switch into parallel regulator automatically, this will maintain the circuit in optimal temperature and audio performance.
- Pure Headphone Amplifier: When used in HEAD AMP mode, the pure DAC output will be switched off.
- Pure Preamplifier: When switch to PRE-AMP mode, the headphone output, and DAC line-out circuit will be switched off, and the Class A amplification circuit will switch over to Class A preamplifier operation.
- All-in-One: Best overall performance when all signals are optimized for internal distribution, minimize interconnects in your system, and reduce external interference significantly.
The suggested retail price of DA1 is US$2,499, and the DA1 Power Station is US$1,599. They can be purchased separately and are expected to available by end of April 2021.