CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #106 of 616
1. LCD-5
2. Elite
3. Lcd4 /lcd4z
4. Rad-o
5. LCD-3 (have owned previously)

don’t take my impressions too seriously since I had a short listening session in a nosy room. LCD-5 is obviously the best for me and elite is very very good.
Thanks for sharing! I'll be very curious to hear more people comment - the LCD-5 are beautiful, and liking what I'm hearing about them sound/comfort wise. I love my Rad-0, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted by the LCD-5!

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:09 AM Post #107 of 616
Had a lot of fun at can jam today.

My favorite table was headphones.com, got there near end of day, and sat uninterrupted using my own music (USB out of my phone) to try out the focal d8000 pro's, audeze lcd-4's, ATH-ADX5000's, and Empyrean's all in a continuous sequence. I was in headphone heaven.

The best sound for me were the Audeze CRBN's. These are my next dream headphones. They sound totally different from Stax, and have their own sound signature that I really liked. They were musical and had a visceral slam/punch I haven't heard in my own collection of electrostatics. I've never hear the HE-90's, but the CRBN's sound like what I dream a HE-90 would sound like.

Waited 30 minutes or so to audition to the LCD-5's, and couldn't get a good sense of them when it finally came time. I got tired from waiting and antzy with the 4 min time limit and couldn't land on a track to really sink into. My audition was quite choppy. The one quality that stands out though was how spacious they sounded compared to previous models.

Hope tomorrow goes well!

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #108 of 616
Poetic excursions in hi-fi audio

Can Jammed hard
livin' large
findin' which can takes charge
With Head-Fi as my chain selecta'
It ain't gonna get any betta'
To those who say it's hard
I otherwise wouldn't have found my star!!!

ONE WORD OFF THE CUFF DESCRIPTION MY CHOSEN FAVORITES - FINAL RESULTS TO BE SPOKEN
disclaimer - OTT hype on they way: the unscientific way

Audeze LCD-4z SUBLIME
HEDDphone from HEDD Audio FANTASTIC
Rosson Audio Rad-0 ENIGMATIC
ZMF Verite C SENSATIONAL
Meze Elite SPELLBINDING!
Audeze CRBN electrostats MYSTICAL

20210925_152529.jpg

20210925_163630.jpg

20210925_182401.jpg

California vibe afterwards

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 1:20 AM Post #109 of 616
If any of you are going tomorrow, can you go by the Hifiman booth and ask about the new R10P? It has a different headband and the cables go in both earpads. I have the current version that has the different headband and the wire only goes in on 1 earpad. Can you ask if anything else has changed in terms of sound quality over the current R10p? I’m also wondering if you can use the BlueMini with the new R10P

If anybody has the time to check it out, I’d appreciate it :beerchug:

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #111 of 616
If any of you are going tomorrow, can you go by the Hifiman booth and ask about the new R10P? It has a different headband and the cables go in both earpads. I have the current version that has the different headband and the wire only goes in on 1 earpad. Can you ask if anything else has changed in terms of sound quality over the current R10p? I’m also wondering if you can use the BlueMini with the new R10P

Too bright for my taste. Not as bright as the Shangri-la, but close.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:26 AM Post #112 of 616
I don't know if people know as it was only me and my friends who demo'd the Mest Mk2 for the whole day and we kept going back for it.

The iFi/Bloom Audio team has a secret menu of the Mest mk2 and it was miles better than every IEM I heard if you're into "impressive(W)" sound signature.

Ask them for a demo. They do not sound like IEMs. they stage like a headphone with very visceral dynamics if you're into that too.

Bring 4.4mm taking sources or grab a 2pin cable that can terminate to whatever to help with them, lastly also your own tips. They bring real magic on perfect fitting, make sure to jam it in.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #113 of 616
That pic at the wells booth was that Abyss using the Dana Lazuli ref plus? It looks like it. That booth would of been a must for me. To hear that dragon tube/hybrid.
I was there listening to that set up for 15 minutes. It sounded amazing. Superb bass, spacious yet somehow intimate. So good. Those headphones sound amazing. Best hybrid amp I have heard. However, they are by far the most uncomfortable headphones I have ever warn. Like a very effective torture device. Absolute deal breaker.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #114 of 616
Had a lot of short listening sessions, here are my quick thoughts

Headphones I Love:
- LCD5, my favorite on the show. The brightest Audeze I've heard, with amazing details, great dynamics, still very punchy bass, all in all excellent from top to bottom. I can easily see this replacing the Utopias for me (I'll need longer listening time though)

- Meze Empyrean Elite, they made great improvement on the tuning here. I don't know if the technicality is comparable to other 4k level flagships yet, but the comfort is superb (probably the only headphone that actually feels better than not wearing anything) and the sound is very smooth, inoffensive and not dull. I can totally see people buying this for the experience in a whole.

- DCA Stealth, they really do sound like open back headphones. The dynamics(intensity) is still very soft here and the bass doesn't punch as hard to me comparing to other heavy-hitting planars, but they do have a estat-ish sound that makes me really enjoy them for many genres. The technicality is the best I've heard in closed-backs and I can totally see myself enjoying them through long listening sessions.

- EE Odin, it's the first EE pair that I actually loved! Super balanced sound, great satisfying bass response, amazing soundstage, tones of details. I was not a big fan of Zeus, Legend or the Valkyrie, but this kind of blew my mind.

- Symphonium Helios. My impressions doesn't align with Theo's quite often, but this IEM really works for me. Everything sounded just right, I might consider buying a pair for myself, seriously.

- Wells Audio Dragon. I was on a quest to find something that pairs nicely with my Susvara (currently using GSX mk2, feeling the pairing is lacking a bit of flavor), and the wells audio dragon is my favorite one on the show so far, besides their headtrip amp. But honesty, on the noisy show floor I don't hear that big of a difference of the headtrip and the Dragon anyway, and the Dragon is finally bringing some additional emotion to me on the Susvara.

Headphones I felt lukewarm about:
- Raal SR1a. I've never heard anything like this before. Extremely resolving but with very very dry high end, sub-bass is lacking a lot but the dynamic is strong as hell, making it punches super hard. Soundstage is true speaker-like. This combination I've never heard before and it's like the anti-estats. I don't know how I feel about this, especially with that abnormal treble. In comparison, the SR009 although sounds bright as well, is a lot "wetter" and much more to my taste.

- Noble Sultan. I feel they are great on certain things and just ok on others. I really enjoyed the bass, but the vocals are a little too dry and "breathy", not "chesty" enough for me. Overall not too bad, but I probably won't buy them for myself.

- Kennerton Rognir. They are on Yulong's booth, people who are interested should try those out. Gorgeous headphones with nice comfort and very solid technicalities. I don't feel like the detail is lacking for their asking price (as a closed back). But again, the coloration in vocal is kind of obvious and not entirely to my taste. I can see many people loving it, though.

- ThieAudio Clairvoyance or Monarch. Didn't figure out which one it was, they looked too similar... Anyway the bass is too fat and sloppy for me. Kind of a letdown after everyone praises them that much.

- Final A8000. Not bad, but not as good as Symphonium Helios to me, when I listen to them back to back.

- Senn IE900. Easy to wear, nicely made, inoffensive sound albeit a little bassy. Just didn't impress me that much comparing to the Helios.

Disappointment
- Audeze CRBN. Unfortunately I don't think they bring anything to the table. As a big 009 fan, I think if you are making a non typical estat-like estat, you better have something special to justify the specific amplifier requirement. This definitely doesn't have either the 007 magic or the 009's extreme detail and lightness. I might need some more time with it but so far I haven't found anything impressive from them.

- Heddphone. I wonder if I plugged into something wrong. How could it sound so off, wonky, dull and hollow at the same time. I have to try them again tomorrow.

- Noble Fokus Pro. Sorry, I like the Airport Pro and Sony xm4's tuning way more than this.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:30 AM Post #115 of 616

They said sonically it’s the same. Just the new headband and connections.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #118 of 616
Were there any ZMF headphones around? I couldn't find any and was really hoping to hear they line up

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #119 of 616
Were there any ZMF headphones around? I couldn't find any and was really hoping to hear they line up

Can't remember the name of the booth but far left corner once you enter the room, long row of tube amps setup. They had a verite closed. Also, Wells Audio had an Auteur.

Sep 26, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #120 of 616
Can't remember the name of the booth but far left corner once you enter the room, long row of tube amps setup. They had a verite closed. Also, Wells Audio had an Auteur.
Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back