CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #122 of 616
I didn't think the Dan Clark Stealth's were great at all either :frowning2: I was hoping for the best seeing the ASR review ... I went in thinking I'd love them but they sounded like all the other Dan Clark headphones ... but despite being a bit flatter tone-wise: they still sounded like the same old planar sound that they all have. I listened to them at least three times and they just weren't that fantastic. I'd maybe pay $1000 for a pair but it was a tossup between these/noires depending on your personal preference of how you liked your headphones tuned & they were pretty close.

I think when it comes down to it: the main feature of the Stealth is the Metamaterial to tune it/reduce reflections/standing waves/etc. YES, you can can make the Frequency response flatter and fix many problems. BUT, for example: In a recording studio: you can hire a great studio designer and make the acoustics perfect in your room. BUT: if you're listening on NS-10 speakers in your perfect room: they will still sound like NS-10's essentially.

So what I'm saying is: the Stealth is essentially tuning the room to sound great ... but the actual transducer that creates the sound is lacking. Perhaps in the future they could make some ESL's with the type of technology (or carbon nanotubes like the CRBN - which I liked the most) The new Raals definitely need something like this as they sounded really off frequency-wise. (Hedd's too)

Overall great show! Liked Audeze CRBN #1 personally though. (Hifiman ESL's probably 2nd ... but I own Jade II's and they are similar ... Stax too)
I agree. I heard the Stealth and they were bass light and pretty average. I was very surprised. My ZMF Verite Closed blow them away.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:09 AM Post #124 of 616
Thank you so much!
Also I think there was a zmf eikon at one of the smaller booths towards the right, I could be wrong tho. Either way keep your eyes peeled, at first I was expecting booths from focal, zmf, senn and was upset they weren't there. But realized
they're mostly all there just at the different audio store booths..

Headphones.com had an impressive collection of flagships with great amp/dac combos along with a huge song library, plus option to use your own device. The reps were all super friendly as well. Highly recommend

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #125 of 616
I'm wondering how long did you guys at CanJam listened to the Stealth for and what are you plugging them into? They're taking quite a beating.

I've placed my order on the DCA site on the 5th of Sept so I still haven't received them. Once I do, I'll compare them to my other closed back headphones & post my own feedback.

Love the impressions regarding the new Audeze headphones and the Meze Elites!

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #126 of 616
Also I think there was a zmf eikon at one of the smaller booths towards the right, I could be wrong tho. Either way keep your eyes peeled, at first I was expecting booths from focal, zmf, senn and was upset they weren't there. But realized
they're mostly all there just at the different audio store booths..

Headphones.com had an impressive collection of flagships with great amp/dac combos along with a huge song library, plus option to use your own device. The reps were all super friendly as well. Highly recommend
I finally got the hear a Susvara. That headphone is definitely better than anything I have ever heard before. I haven't heard the Abyss 1266 Phi TC. I wish I could here to compare.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #127 of 616
If someone could check this out at the Hifiman Booth I'd appreciate it.

Is there a new version in terms of cosmetics of the R10P closed backs? With what looks like an HE1000V2 headband assembly?

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 3.07.09 PM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 3.07.01 PM.jpeg
Just started going through this thread, and not sure if anyone gave you feedback yet, but the R10P was far and away the biggest disappointment of the show for me! I wouldn't buy it for 20% of list, frankly. Just sounded congested to me amped by the Benchmark DAC2. I had somewhat high hopes too, as I'm in the market for a high end closed back.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #128 of 616
I finally got the hear a Susvara. That headphone is definitely better than anything I have ever heard before. I haven't heard the Abyss 1266 Phi TC. I wish I could here to compare.
Didn't get a chance to listen to the sus but briefly listened to the abyss. Unfortunately when I went the top headband had snapped off so I had to hold the headphones to my ears.. on top of it being super uncomfortable to begin with hah! Ive heard Metallica a million times but it sounded so different on the abyss.. check em out at the wells audio booth if you're going day two

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #129 of 616
Didn't get a chance to listen to the sus but briefly listened to the abyss. Unfortunately when I went the top headband had snapped off so I had to hold the headphones to my ears.. on top of it being super uncomfortable to begin with hah! Ive heard Metallica a million times but it sounded so different on the abyss.. check em out at the wells audio booth if you're going day two
Cool. I"ll be there. I heard the Sus on the Bakoon solid state amp and the Nautilus tube amp.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:45 AM Post #130 of 616
I'm wondering how long did you guys at CanJam listened to the Stealth for and what are you plugging them into? They're taking quite a beating.

I've placed my order on the DCA site on the 5th of Sept so I still haven't received them. Once I do, I'll compare them to my other closed back headphones & post my own feedback.

Love the impressions regarding the new Audeze headphones and the Meze Elites!

for what it’s worth, i was really impressed by the stealth for a closed back! I want to say it’s my favorite close back but i didn’t get to hear the verite closed yet was i gotta try those tomorrow. I think my favorite open back is the Audeze LCD-5, i honestly think that was the best bass i have ever heard in my life, but of course 4 min demo in noisy show floor. I’ll have to listen to it again tomorrow. Also didn’t get a chance to listen to the abyss stuff today so will have to try it out.

Attachments

• DSC_6889.JPG
    DSC_6889.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
Sep 26, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #132 of 616
Tiny versus years past, very skippable if you've been yearly and simply wait for the return of Big Canjams. Missing a ton of vendors from past years.
Can be worth it if you're new and never tried many of the cans in person.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #133 of 616
What I don’t understand is why are they getting so expensive, stereo amplification is still decently priced.
There are a lot of very inexpensive amps that measure almost perfect, it has been a growing trend since the Massdrop THX AAA 789. There are also amps like Schiit's that follow a different philosophy but are still inexpensive. You can get a very good amp at a very reasonable price.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #134 of 616
Tiny versus years past, very skippable if you've been yearly and simply wait for the return of Big Canjams. Missing a ton of vendors from past years.
Can be worth it if you're new and never tried many of the cans in person.
I've been to RMAF in 2018 and 2019. Even though this is a smaller CanJam, it is so nice to be able to try out all the new gear that has been coming out even though it's not all there. Also refreshing to see the community and to be able to share our love for audio without feeling judged. I would definitely rather have a smaller CanJam than no CanJam for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back