CanJam SoCal 2021 Impressions Thread (September 25-26, 2021)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #137 of 616
I've seen several complaints about loudness of people and chitter chatter. Why is that even allowed? There should be time and place to listen to all these cans (like during the show), and then maybe afterwards or something to chat about designs or whatever else...for the majority of people, it's not like you walk into a local store to listen to 'phones, people take time off, travel, get a hotel, time and effort gets put into having a chance (maybe once in a lifetime) to hear these systems, only not to be able to hear them properly....
For me background noise has never been an issue at any meet. Cranking up the volume cancels out the noise and is more ideal to put the headphone through its paces anyway and see what it can really do. Headphone drivers have a much greater upper limit than most people realize... the human hearing on the other hand, not quite so much, LOL.

I'm glad to see the (open) Meze Elite getting some love, especially above certain others that happened to be closedback, and IMO quite bright with and with rolled off bass, where the Elite does everything right. I honestly think it's worth the price over the Empyrean, And I freakin' can't believe I'm saying this, but as of now I actually prefer it over the HEDDphone. Wouldn't mind owning both though!

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #138 of 616
LCD5, my favorite on the show. The brightest Audeze I've heard, with amazing details, great dynamics, still very punchy bass, all in all excellent from top to bottom. I can easily see this replacing the Utopias for me (I'll need longer listening time though).
While it's Audeze's brightest, would classify it as being an overall bright tuning when compared to other TOTL?

Also, does it look better in person than the photos? that tortoiseshell... Hah

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #139 of 616
I am jelly 😀😪

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #140 of 616
While it's Audeze's brightest, would classify it as being an overall bright tuning when compared to other TOTL?

Also, does it look better in person than the photos? that tortoiseshell... Hah
Ah, that's hard to say since I only got 4 minutes and I was listening to it at very high volume. With that, my first impression is that it's slightly brighter than the Utopia (which I personally think is not as bright as everyone is claiming it to be, honestly).
It looks really nice in person, for sure!

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #141 of 616
For me background noise has never been an issue at any meet. Cranking up the volume cancels out the noise and is more ideal to put the headphone through its paces anyway and see what it can really do. Headphone drivers have a much greater upper limit than most people realize... the human hearing on the other hand, not so quite so much, LOL.

I'm glad to see the (open) Meze Elite getting some love, especially above certain others that happened to be closedback, and IMO quite bright with and with rolled off bass, where the Elite does everything right. I honestly think it's worth the price over the Empyrean, And I preacher can't believe I'm saying this, but as of now I actually prefer it over the HEDDphone. Wouldn't mind owning both though!
Giving Elite a listen tonight as I put my thoughts together and... yea I'm quite impressed with it myself! While I still think Empyrean has it's own place as a beautiful rich fullbodied headphone... like a warm blanket, Elite is tuned more to what I like for sure

RaalTubeAmp.jpg
Overall of the few things I got to hear, I was pretty excited to see and hear this all new tube amp from Raal just for Dynamics and Planars, sounded great with the HD 800 and Elite and I'm excited to hear it again and hopefully learn a little more about as they get ready to launch it as I imagine we're going to be carrying it

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #142 of 616
Giving Elite a listen tonight as I put my thoughts together and... yea I'm quite impressed with it myself! While I still think Empyrean has it's own place as a beautiful rich fullbodied headphone... like a warm blanket, Elite is tuned more to what I like for sure

RaalTubeAmp.jpg
Overall of the few things I got to hear, I was pretty excited to see and hear this all new tube amp from Raal just for Dynamics and Planars, sounded great with the HD 800 and Elite and I'm excited to hear it again and hopefully learn a little more about as they get ready to launch it as I imagine we're going to be carrying it
Any word on the Raal circumaural?

Sep 26, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #143 of 616
I'll disagree on the 2k-3k part. Just going by me having it with the danacable and a little dx300. It easily matched all the other high-end stuff that drifted in and out of my house. Since I can't hold onto anything for a long time. I went through a lot from Utopia to He1000se. The Elite had its place amongst them. To my ears of course.
Agreed, the Elites are definitely growing on me and getting better everyday. Bass is starting to settle in. It’s so nuanced and textured. The sound overall is starting to open up. It’s becoming more spacious and airy. They easily fit in with my other TOTL headphones based on sound quality alone.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #144 of 616
Agreed, the Elites are definitely growing on me and getting better everyday. Bass is starting to settle in. It’s so nuanced and textured. The sound overall is starting to open up. It’s becoming more spacious and airy. They easily fit in with my other TOTL headphones based on sound quality alone.
Totally agree! I been burning in since they came out. And now I'm burning in my cable because I just got that yesterday. And that truly made it shine even more. And fixed everything I didn't like. It's going to be hard to sell them for the lcd5 without hearing those first.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 9:04 AM Post #145 of 616
Reading those impressions I feel pretty good about my choices with the Elite and CRBN.

Overwhelmingly positive Feedback on those

Sep 26, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #146 of 616
Was the new iFi Can Pro Signature there as well? Anyone tried it yet?
Also interested in the new WA7, but from previous comments it seems a bit underpowered for more demanding phones.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #148 of 616
For those of you that have heard the LCD-5 -- I have a LCD-4z and a HE1000SE, and I use the former when I want to rock out and the latter when I want detail and resolution. Does the LCD-5 come close to the resolution/detail on the HE1000SE while maintaining the smoothness and dynamism of the LCD-4Z? I'd love to replace those two with just one.

Sep 26, 2021 at 10:41 AM Post #150 of 616
Which amp do you think was better with the Susvara?
They were both so different. I would have to say the Bakoon because it was the cleanest sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back