CanJam SoCal 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 15, 2017 at 6:45 AM Post #421 of 521
This is an apples to pears comparison. The WA33 is a dynamic driver amp, the Blue Hawaii is an electrostatic amp. You can't have a constant (a single headphone) for the basis of a neutral comparison to detect differences in each amp. 

The proper comparison would be the Woo WES to the Blue Hawaii, which in my opinion, the Blue Hawaii would be the preference.

That said, if you offered me the option of owning the Blue Hawaii with a Stax-009 or the WA33 with an Abyss, Utopia, or HE1000, I'd take the Blue Hawaii / Stax combo.
so I should blue Hawaii for electrostatic headphones?

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #422 of 521

If you're not in a hurry, maybe you should wait for the release of the new iFi audio electrostatic amp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBpNoSbyzwc&t=28s before making a decision.

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #424 of 521
  If you're not in a hurry, maybe you should wait for the release of the new iFi audio electrostatic amp https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBpNoSbyzwc&t=28s before making a decision.

when is that out, do they have also one that will have a dac/amp all in one coming out

Apr 15, 2017 at 8:26 AM Post #425 of 521
  when is that out, do they have also one that will have a dac/amp all in one coming out

http://www.head-fi.org/t/702376/ifi-audio-pro-idsd-discussion-thread/1440#post_12915252

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #426 of 521

I'm a heck of a lot more likely to attend a show when I'm in the market for something, yes.
Different strokes...

I am more likely to attend a show that interests me and promises a good time.  No one here "needs" any of these items, but we buy them because they make us smile.  They make us feel good about ourselves, even when there is a bit of buyer's remorse right after (which is very normal).

I go online and to garage sales looking for vintage receivers from the 70s.  Why?  Because they make me smile with memories.  Do they sound better than today's offerings?  Nope.  But neither do they sound worse.  They definitely (subjective ALERT!) look a whole lot better to me.  I all so get to meet some interesting people.  Regular folks can be a wealth of knowledge about the one place all of us can not travel to.  Their past.

So then, I suppose one could say that I go to shows when I can and while I may not be looking to buy, I am in the market for meeting people and making new friends and memories.

As a confirmed lover of music (and sometime musician) for over 50 years now, I do in fact need top shelf audio gear. What I don't need is a collection of cool audio trinkets that I might use every so often. I go through cycles of upgrading equipment when the stuff I own has been clearly surpassed technically. I get that a lot of people here are into collecting gear and/or hanging out with industry folks, and that's perfectly fine..... for them. Cheers.

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:01 PM Post #427 of 521

If you can afford it! Make sure you make the effort to hear this stuff for yourself, first. Everyone has different tastes and your ears hear things slightly different than everyone else. I know folks who don't like the sound of electrostatics. Make sure you are not one of those people! I read differing opinions because sometimes reviews point out some detail I didn't pay attention to when listening. But I always fall back on my own opinion, and I encourage others to do the same.

The WA33 will not drive an electrostatic headphone (like the Stax-009). The Blue Hawaii will not drive a dynamic or planar headphone (like the Abyss, HE1000, LCD4, HD800, or Utopia). The are different universes. Sorry if you already knew that, I just want you to be clear how this works, if you weren't aware.

The only 2 better electrostatic amps I am aware of are at the $50,000 dollar level. At that point, buy the Sennheiser HE-1 and be done with it. 

Cheers!

Apr 15, 2017 at 2:36 PM Post #428 of 521
  The only 2 better electrostatic amps I am aware of are at the $50,000 dollar level. At that point, buy the Sennheiser HE-1 and be done with it. 

Cheers!

i liked much this advice...really

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:24 PM Post #429 of 521
  i liked much this advice...really

You may want to check these out too. Too bad it's very difficult to audition them:
http://www.mjolnir-audio.com/products/
http://www.head-fi.org/t/769105/mjolnir-audio-electrostatic-amps

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #430 of 521
What issues did you have with the Mojo?

I had been considering getting a medium priced DAP, Pioneer XD-300XPR or Acoustic Research M20, or getting a Mojo to go with my phone.

sorry - forgot to quote from the poster to whom the question is directed.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:56 PM Post #431 of 521
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]@Stillhart[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Chord Hugo2:[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Well, this was a surprise. I had no idea I'd end up placing a pre-order on a Chord product. I'd had a love/hate relationship with Mojo that ended badly and we went our separate ways. I also didn't (and still don't) believe her lies about why 760 kHz sampling rates matter. Admittedly, this wasn't the ideal listening environment - even with isolating, non-ported IEMs - but Hugo2 sounded amazing. I just couldn't fault it. A big thanks and shout-out to @jude who let me - temporarily - run off with his own Hugo2 to a dead silent room to see if I could hear a noise floor with my more sensitive IEMs (I couldn't). Many thanks also to the friendly Chord staff who let me hog the Hugo2 for a very excessive amount of time :)[/color]

What were your issues with the Mojo? I have been considering purchasing a Mojo or stand alone DAP such as the Pioneer 300XDR or the Acoustic Research M20.

Apr 16, 2017 at 11:28 AM Post #432 of 521

If you can afford it! Make sure you make the effort to hear this stuff for yourself, first. Everyone has different tastes and your ears hear things slightly different than everyone else. I know folks who don't like the sound of electrostatics. Make sure you are not one of those people! I read differing opinions because sometimes reviews point out some detail I didn't pay attention to when listening. But I always fall back on my own opinion, and I encourage others to do the same.

The WA33 will not drive an electrostatic headphone (like the Stax-009). The Blue Hawaii will not drive a dynamic or planar headphone (like the Abyss, HE1000, LCD4, HD800, or Utopia). The are different universes. Sorry if you already knew that, I just want you to be clear how this works, if you weren't aware.

Cheers!

First paragraph has good advice.  

As for "better" than the Blue Hawaii, there are five other amps that are considered in the same category, the DIY T2 (DIY only) which costs close to as much as the Blue Hawaii in parts alone, and the Megatron, the KGSS Carbon, the Grounded Grid and the Circlotron, all Kevin Gilmore designs.  The DIY T2 is a Stax design which has a much improved physical design and improved power supply by Dr. Gilmore.  Of the few that have compared them (and excluding the Circlotron and Grounded grid, of which there are very few examples in the wild), the T2 seems to come out on top most often, with the Megatron, Carbon and Blue Hawaii preferred depending on preferences and priorities.  

AFAIK the only two electrostatic headphone systems that are in the $50,000 range are the Sennheiser and the HiFiMan.  The Sennheiser HE-1 is a dedicated DAC/amp/headphone combination which cannot be separated out so there is no way to know if it is "better" because it is totally incompatible with any other electrostatic headphone.  The HiFiMan has been demonstrated at shows but hasn't really been compared to any of the Gilmore designs so it is questionable whether it is better or not.  Certainly, if it is using 300B output tubes direct coupled to the headphones, it will have less voltage output capability than a Blue Hawaii.  So I wouldn't say that either is technically or sonically better than the Blue Hawaii.  They are undoubtedly more expensive, if that is your criteria for better.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:31 PM Post #433 of 521

As for "better" than the Blue Hawaii, there are five other amps that are considered in the same category, the DIY T2 (DIY only) which costs close to as much as the Blue Hawaii in parts alone, and the Megatron, the KGSS Carbon, the Grounded Grid and the Circlotron, all Kevin Gilmore designs.  The DIY T2 is a Stax design which has a much improved physical design and improved power supply by Dr. Gilmore.  Of the few that have compared them (and excluding the Circlotron and Grounded grid, of which there are very few examples in the wild), the T2 seems to come out on top most often, with the Megatron, Carbon and Blue Hawaii preferred depending on preferences and priorities.  

AFAIK the only two electrostatic headphone systems that are in the $50,000 range are the Sennheiser and the HiFiMan.  The Sennheiser HE-1 is a dedicated DAC/amp/headphone combination which cannot be separated out so there is no way to know if it is "better" because it is totally incompatible with any other electrostatic headphone.  The HiFiMan has been demonstrated at shows but hasn't really been compared to any of the Gilmore designs so it is questionable whether it is better or not.  Certainly, if it is using 300B output tubes direct coupled to the headphones, it will have less voltage output capability than a Blue Hawaii.  So I wouldn't say that either is technically or sonically better than the Blue Hawaii.  They are undoubtedly more expensive, if that is your criteria for better.

I owe the BHSE and I am SOOO happy with it driving my BHSE 
biggrin.gif
  !

Now I am also looking forward hearing the new "all tube" Electrostatic Amp that Justin should release soon and that will sit above his BHSE at a higher price point.

I have a SR009 and I am looking forward listening to the next Electrostat from Mr Speaker.  

In the mean time, I am looking for a 2nd hand SR007 to mod-it.

Apr 16, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #434 of 521

Don't forget the MSB stack, The select DAC II and electrostatic amp that requires the MSB select to run it. $84,500 for the DAC and $37,950 for the amp so a total of $122,450 to drive your E-stats!!!
eek.gif

Apr 16, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #435 of 521

Don't forget the MSB stack, The select DAC II and electrostatic amp that requires the MSB select to run it. $84,500 for the DAC and $37,950 for the amp so a total of $122,450 to drive your E-stats!!!
eek.gif

i have only 119.000. what a pity
deadhorse.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back