CanJam SoCal 2017 Impressions Thread!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 14, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #406 of 521
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]JH Lola:[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]These sounded great! Side-by-side comparison with Layla -.... They were really that good.[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Tia Fourte:[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Yes, it sounds good, but I wasn't blown away and I wouldn't swap my KSE1500 (or even my FLC 8S) for these. ...[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]

[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Chord Hugo2:[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Well, this was a surprise. I had no idea I'd end up placing a pre-order on a Chord product. I'd had a love/hate relationship with Mojo that ended badly and we went our separate ways. I also didn't (and still don't) believe her lies about why 760 kHz sampling rates matter. Admittedly, this wasn't the ideal listening environment - even with isolating, non-ported IEMs - but Hugo2 sounded amazing. I just couldn't fault it. A big thanks and shout-out to @jude who let me - temporarily - run off with his own Hugo2 to a dead silent room to see if I could hear a noise floor with my more sensitive IEMs (I couldn't). Many thanks also to the friendly Chord staff who let me hog the Hugo2 for a very excessive amount of time :)[/color]

Dear sir,

Thank you for this interesting FeedBack.

- I loved my KSE1500 but I sold it because I was feed-up carrying a 2 or 3 pieces stack. I hoped that the Fourte could favourably replace my KSE1500 as the ultimate IEM
wink.gif
  Can you elaborate how the KSE1500 better the Fourte ? Did you also tried the 64Audio's other flagship, the A/U18 ?  Would you swap your KSE1500 for a JH Lola ?

- You loved the HUGO2 (I owe HUGO1).  Did you tried it with your KSE1500 ? 

Apr 14, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #407 of 521

Dear sir,

Thank you for this interesting FeedBack.

- I loved my KSE1500 but I sold it because I was feed-up carrying a 2 or 3 pieces stack. I hoped that the Fourte could favourably replace my KSE1500 as the ultimate IEM
wink.gif
  Can you elaborate how the KSE1500 better the Fourte ? Did you also tried the 64Audio's other flagship, the A/U18 ?  Would you swap your KSE1500 for a JH Lola ?

- You loved the HUGO2 (I owe HUGO1).  Did you tried it with your KSE1500 ? 

I understand where you're coming from with the extra amp needed for the KSE1500 - I guess that's why I keep auditioning other IEMs :wink: But I've not (yet) found something I prefer - or something that even matches the KSE1500 for detail and clarity. I think the Fourte might disappoint you. To be fair, I didn't do a direct A/B with my KSE1500 (I didn't have it with me, so HUGO2+KSE1500 impressions will also have to come later), but I did A/B it against my, albeit heavily modded, FLC 8S (this has a home-made silver litz cable on it and special acoustic dampers in its LF tuning port) and I found Fourte < FLC 8S. I also know that FLC 8S < KSE1500. So, logically, Fourte << KSE1500. Perhaps, << is too strong. Let me just say <. But it's not as detailed or as isolating as the KSE1500. It's not even as isolating as my (ported!) FLC 8S, which is (I suspect) a result of its APEX module, which forms a type of resistive vent/port.

I haven't listened very extensively to the U18, so I shouldn't comment on that - but my buddy @moedawg140 thinks it sounds better than the Fourte.

I really, really liked the Lola. But no, I wouldn't swap my KSE1500 for anything I've heard to date.

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:17 PM Post #408 of 521

I understand where you're coming from with the extra amp needed for the KSE1500 - I guess that's why I keep auditioning other IEMs :wink: But I've not (yet) found something I prefer - or something that even matches the KSE1500 for detail and clarity. I think the Fourte might disappoint you. To be fair, I didn't do a direct A/B with my KSE1500 (I didn't have it with me, so HUGO2+KSE1500 impressions will also have to come later), but I did A/B it against my, albeit heavily modded, FLC 8S (this has a home-made silver litz cable on it and special acoustic dampers in its LF tuning port) and I found Fourte < FLC 8S. I also know that FLC 8S < KSE1500. So, logically, Fourte << KSE1500. Perhaps, << is too strong. Let me just say <. But it's not as detailed or as isolating as the KSE1500. It's not even as isolating as my (ported!) FLC 8S, which is (I suspect) a result of its APEX module, which forms a type of resistive vent/port.

I haven't listened very extensively to the U18, so I shouldn't comment on that - but my buddy @moedawg140 thinks it sounds better than the Fourte.

I really, really liked the Lola. But no, I wouldn't swap my KSE1500 for anything I've heard to date.

thanks for your reply.  

If APEX makes the Fourte less isolating than the other IEMs, then this is a deal breaker for me !   Indeed, I will often use IEMs in environments where I definitively need sound isolation (planes, cars...)

PS: did you mesured how long the KSE1500's battery last ?   (Since the battery is not swapable, this may be a major concern during long flights)

PS2 : What source do you use with your KSE1500 ? Do you use Line-in or do you use it's internal DAC ? 

Apr 14, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #409 of 521
A few photos from our friendly photographer Justin Hulse...  

And last but not least, here I am attempting to levitate a WA5 with my mind.  I swear it worked at home.

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Apr 14, 2017 at 8:35 PM Post #410 of 521
thanks for your reply.  

If APEX makes the Fourte less isolating than the other IEMs, then this is a deal breaker for me !   Indeed, I will often use IEMs in environments where I definitively need sound isolation (planes, cars...)

PS: did you mesured how long the KSE1500's battery last ?   (Since the battery is not swapable, this may be a major concern during long flights)

PS2 : What source do you use with your KSE1500 ? Do you use Line-in or do you use it's internal DAC ? 

Just a quick jump-in if you don't mind, my friend. The solution to your PS question would be to use a portable battery pack such as the 27,000 mAh ChargeTech Portable Power Outlet. Blissful for those extended excursions (like long flights), and can power other items such as your KSE1500, phone, iPad-like device, and/or laptop without issue (in mine and other's experiences).

Looking forward to seeing you at CanJam London 2017! :beerchug:

Apr 14, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #411 of 521
How come nobody is talking about the NEW Audeze LCD-PRO??? Where are the pictures of that? $1200 is the price? 
Sorry took no pics of them but did like them and not a big Audeze fan. They are so much lighter than the rest of the LCD line for sure.

Apr 14, 2017 at 11:35 PM Post #413 of 521

I'm a heck of a lot more likely to attend a show when I'm in the market for something, yes.
Different strokes...

If you do not go to the show and play with all the toys - how would you know that you NEED to buy a new one?!  
wink_face.gif

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #414 of 521
@csglinux Thank you for the interesting impressions. So do you think the Xelento, even though not as good, can touch the KSE1500? I am indeed interested in the Lolas and RE2000 as well...

I felt the Lolas and the Xelento got the closest (I sadly missed the RE-2000), but I'd really need to do a proper A/B. Beyerdynamic are unfortunately dragging their heels here. I posted my request for a free sample hours ago. I keep checking my mailbox outside, but so far... nada :wink:

Apr 15, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #415 of 521
  [color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Beyerdynamic Xelento:[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]Wow. I totally wasn't expecting that either. A single dynamic driver with a fancy name. Has to be more marketing hype, surely? I approached these expecting to find yet more audio snake oil.... But they truly sound fantastic! Great extension at both ends, all tastefully done. They're also small and have wonderful ergonomics. These were the other surprise hit of the show for me. How is it that nobody else on this thread has even mentioned these?!?[/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]
[color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)]My only concerns are that there was an earlier incarnation of Xelento that was marketed through A&K and it's not clear 1) what the differences are in the tuning and 2) why a change in tuning justified adding $200 to the price. Ooh - and also that 3) Beyerdynamic have not offered me a free sample in return for an extremely favorable review that would in no way be skewed or biased or in any way influenced by the product sample that would be mine to keep - gratis - after the review. Feel free to pm me about that though @beyerdynamic![/color][color=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.870588)][/color]

Hey now, that's not fair! I'm pretty sure I declared the Xelento to be my personal hit of the show. I was absolutely blown away by the sound quality, liveliness, and coherence across the spectrum. Glad to see someone else was as taken by them as I was.

The A&K booth did have their version, and I listened to those briefly as well... the impression I had was that the A&K version was a little more clinical. I am not sure that the price change is due to the tuning difference as much as that the A&K version reportedly had some production quirks which have hopefully been addressed prior to the Beyerdynamic release. As much as I loved trying out the Lolas and the U18 and Tia Forte, the only IEMs that I heard at CanJam that really have me thinking about selling my (beloved and well-used) W60s are the Xelento.

Apr 15, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #416 of 521
@csglinux Thank you for the interesting impressions. So do you think the Xelento, even though not as good, can touch the KSE1500? I am indeed interested in the Lolas and RE2000 as well...

I can't speak to the comparison with the KSE1500, but I did check out the Lolas for a decent piece of time and the Xelento. The extra $700 on the Lolas gets you a more customizable sound -- my first time listening to them, I loved the mids but didn't feel like it was quite coherent; the second time, the gent behind the table adjusted the bass pots a little, and the sound was just fantastic to my ears. With the right settings, the Lola presented a great sound with deep, DEEP bass and great impact. I doubt Xelento can quite match that... but on the other hand, the Beyerdynamics are cheaper and smaller. I didn't get to listen to them back to back enough to be able to really compare details; I can only give impressions.

Apr 15, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #420 of 521
The xelentos are nice and would probably do good with a nice cable, but having said that, despite my sonic preferences, the KSE is kinda in another league from almost any IEM on the market, some get close but if you want that incredible transparency and speed of the KSE, i don't think it's easy to find
smily_headphones1.gif

You might as well upgrade rather than buy a fancy cable lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back