CanJam SoCal 2016 Impressions Thread (March 19-20, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 19, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #32 of 658

Ask the editors panel. Some super cool thoughts on the state and the future of the industry.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #33 of 658
My first CanJam and it was great. Makes me feel poor though. At least I know what the next set of headphones are going to be.

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:55 PM Post #34 of 658
Hearing the Liquid Carbon today makes me very happy that there's going to be a second production run. That's a seriously excellent amp.

I was less impressed with the Spark. It didn't have the magic I was hoping for. Although I did speak with Warren briefly and he said that the final units will sound at least as good or better than the ones on display here, so I may have to reevaluate when the final units come out. I may very well buy a second run LC though, there is definite magic in that amp.

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:10 PM Post #35 of 658
Mar 19, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #38 of 658
Yes, the Spark is truly portable, you could rubber band it to your phone.

i was wondering its price and when will it get released and how it compares to liquid carbon

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:16 PM Post #39 of 658
Mar 19, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #41 of 658
anyone hear the Taction Kannon's?  has a new technology tactile bass transducer in it

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #42 of 658

The new Cavalli Liquid Tungsten prototype. I hope this doesn't sound like a lot of hype here, but I gotta say, I think this might be the best amp I've ever heard. It's hard to really express everything that is going right here, but I'm going to give it a shot.

A few observations:
Zero, I mean zero harshness from the HD800 whatsoever. The soundstage is crazy huge - it has no boarders. Sounds just come flying at you from space, even more so than the liquid gold. Soundstage depth stacks on the X & Y plane completely freely.

The bass is super tight and organic. I absolutely love the presentation of the upright bass. Clean woody tone there with really nice weight. Popped on the HE1000 & the HE-6 and the thump was insane! It just digs down so far.

Drives the HE-6 like a dream. Gorgeous and pure up and down throughout the frequency range.

Really struggling to find a flaw with this thing. This thing just plain rocks. I don't know when this thing is coming out, but I want it bad! Just awesome.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #43 of 658

The new Cavalli Liquid Tungsten prototype. I hope this doesn't sound like a lot of hype here, but I gotta say, I think this might be the best amp I've ever heard. It's hard to really express everything that is going right here, but I'm going to give it a shot.

A few observations:
Zero, I mean zero harshness from the HD800 whatsoever. The soundstage is crazy huge - it has no boarders. Sounds just come flying at you from space, even more so than the liquid gold. Soundstage depth stacks on the X & Y plane completely freely.

The bass is super tight and organic. I absolutely love the presentation of the upright bass. Clean woody tone there with really nice weight. Popped on the HE1000 & the HE-6 and the thump was insane! It just digs down so far.

Drives the HE-6 like a dream. Gorgeous and pure up and down throughout the frequency range.

Really struggling to find a flaw with this thing. This thing just plain rocks. I don't know when this thing is coming out, but I want it bad! Just awesome.

Awesome description. What are the Inputs (SE only)?

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:10 PM Post #44 of 658
Here are my quick impressions from today:
  1. Beyerdynamic T1 2nd generation. I have the gen 1 and I have to say that the 2nd generation is much improved. Smoother and less aggressive treble and more musical. I might have to upgrade!
  2. Beyerdynamic DT-1770. I really like this headphone! Yes, the bass is a bit higher than neutral, but they make listening to music fun! Isn't that what it's all about?
  3. Mr Speakers Ether C with Cavalli Audio Liquid Crimson. I don't know if was the track that I happened to listen to than just brought out the best of this, but I was floored by the sound of this combo. It sounded just magical. Best sound today in my opinion.
  4. Abyss headphones with Woo Audio WA5. I keep getting surprised at how little these things sound like headphones. They sound more like listening to speakers - great bass, dynamics and liveliness to the music. And the WA5 has that lush tube sound - so seductive!
  5. Mr Speakers Ether with Woo Audio WA5, Cavalli Liquid Glass and Cavalli Liquid Carbon. I really liked the first Ether, but I have to say that the second generation is even better. Smoother treble and still super comfortable. I am the happy owner of the Liquid Carbon and I really like it. Gateway drug to more expensive Cavalli stuff for sure. The Liquid Glass is quite magical.
  6. Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse with Audeze LCD-4. This is a great amp! Very smooth tube sound. The LCD-4 sounded great too and not at all overly bright (as I had feared). Not sure if it's worth four times what my LCD-2 costs though.
  7. Schiit Vali 2 with AKG K7?? (not sure which AKG model this was). I'm getting this amp! Much improved from the first Vali, which I own and love. Great bass, tube smooth midrange and clean, not overly bright treble. Rollable tube too!
  8. ZMF Omni with microZOTL 2.0 amp. I heard a prototype of the Omni last year at THE Show Newport and I really liked it. This final version sounds very smooth and musical. And I was impressed with the microZOTL amp. It looks different, but sounds great. Smooth and dynamic. Can drive sensitive speakers too!

A great day at a great and well-organized event. Lots of friendly and helpful people. I'll be back tomorrow for more! See you all then.

Mar 19, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #45 of 658
anyone hear the Taction Kannon's?  has a new technology tactile bass transducer in it

Pretty cool product! I don't know if they suit my personal tastes for music, but I was super impressed with them in their potential for gaming. They had a demo with about a minute and a half of Halo, and it was intense!!! The tactile stuff actually improves your ability to locate the sounds. Pretty neat, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back