CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015
Nov 10, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #107 of 1,339
Hello, thanks for your explanation. That would be great if you were to have a large enough Member Showcase area just in case too many of us want to set up our laptop+amp rig and still have space.

I also have a suggestion - maybe you can also hire a private security guard to watch over the Member Showcase to ensure that nobody's gear will get stolen while they are walking around samping headphones at the booths for hours on end. Or maybe you could ask the hotel if their own security could provide that for free; in the interest of minimizing any possible liability of that sort for them. Thanks again

Last head fi meet back in August in the member area everything was quite chill. Some of us would get up and check out the venue for like an hour or so and other people in the room watched our stuff and then we would come back and other people would get up and check out the other gear. It was sorta like we were guarding each others gear and sometimes when someone was curious about a rig of someone who stepped out I would go and help em out lol.

Our community is pretty awesome and all gear has been safe so far.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Nov 10, 2014 at 7:35 AM Post #108 of 1,339

Would be happy to!  
smile.gif

Yes.  In addition to the "member showcase" concept that we are working on (details to follow), you should also bring some gear with which to audition items that you might be interested in.  For example, if you are looking for a new headphone or IEM for your portable rig, you should bring your portable rig.  If you are looking for a new amp, you should bring your headphones.  And of course, bring your preferred music or reference tracks for evaluating gear.

What I would like to see a more formal standardized format with the vendors so that we can bring our music to the show that can be play back on more vendors equipment. Playing back unfamiliar music on the vendor system does not work out so well.

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #109 of 1,339
  What I would like to see a more formal standardized format with the vendors so that we can bring our music to the show that can be play back on more vendors equipment. Playing back unfamiliar music on the vendor system does not work out so well.

That's a good point. I think it's likely that many of our exhibitors will be using Tidal (lossless streamer), so that will certainly help.

Nov 10, 2014 at 1:25 PM Post #110 of 1,339
I'd also suggest that if you're bringing your own music, make sure it's the highest quality version you can get your paws on.

Or in other words, take the original CD, or make a copy, or at the least, extract to FLAC instead of compressing down to AAC or MP3.

On super revealing high end systems, like with the SR-009, artifacts as a result of compressions can actually show up pretty blatantly with certain recordings.

Now, for the adventurous spirits, I'd say... make a FLAC and MP3 version, then try them on the SR-009 and see if you can hear a difference.

tongue.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #111 of 1,339
That's a good point. I think it's likely that many of our exhibitors will be using Tidal (lossless streamer), so that will certainly help.

I hope so, tidal actually has music I like, such as BTBAM and Messuggah.

Nov 10, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #113 of 1,339
Tidal has Stereopony. Not many streaming services have them in the catalog, that's impressive.

Oh wow they do, I didnt think they would have japanese music so I didnt even look. But lets get back on topic here.

Nov 10, 2014 at 5:48 PM Post #114 of 1,339

Har har. Not with the bandwidth that we had at the last CanJam.

Not being snarky--these events are great, you guys are doing a great job, and we look forward to being there--simply being realistic knowing the typical hotel internet connection.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 10, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #116 of 1,339
  Har har. Not with the bandwidth that we had at the last CanJam.

Not being snarky--these events are great, you guys are doing a great job, and we look forward to being there--simply being realistic knowing the typical hotel internet connection.

True. True.

There is, however, always the option--if you're cool with using a tablet or a phone as transport--of creating a demo playlist with Tidal, and then downloading the playlist to the device ahead of the event. Of course, that's not as cool as search-for-whatever-you-want-right-now-on-the-spot, but it's one way Tidal might still be used, even if the bandwidth ends up being less than ideal for hundreds of concurrent Tidal streams.

Nov 10, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #117 of 1,339

True. True.

There is, however, always the option--if you're cool with using a tablet or a phone as transport--of creating a demo playlist with Tidal, and then downloading the playlist to the device ahead of the event. Of course, that's not as cool as search-for-whatever-you-want-right-now-on-the-spot, but it's one way Tidal might still be used, even if the bandwidth ends up being less than ideal for hundreds of concurrent Tidal streams.

That's true as well, though our Windows 8 tablet-based system doesn't allow for it. It would be great to have Tidal as an option (we are subscribers), otherwise we'll be bringing our own wireless network with a huge music selection (streamed via JRiver to the tablets) and, of course, will be able to take any external drives that anyone brings.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 10, 2014 at 8:30 PM Post #118 of 1,339
OK I think the members area should probably be secure for those who wander away. It seems like other head-fi'ers would be friendly enough to watch over your things when you're away. But I personally do think it's not so taboo to allow other people to audition your 'cans while you're away without asking (at a reasonable volume), because that's half the reason why you bring your 'cans - to share with other too. But probably if we're going away for more than 2 hours it's better to carry your laptop in your bag, I'd say.

That was a GOOD POINT somebody brought up. I would have a hard time telling if a pair of 'cans are awesome or not based upon some country or rock track that I've never heard (I'm an electro junkie!), and especially if you account for the fact that SO MANY songs made these days esp. by smaller artists are mastered badly, you have to not only get a song that is ripped in a good quality format (say min. 900kbps), but also that's mastered well. So do you guys think that carrying around your personally selected headphone test tracks on both SD card and USB flash drive would be good to use to listen on most of the vendors systems? Maybe also put them on your phone too as a basic transport. And I don't know anything about Tidal.

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:38 PM Post #119 of 1,339
Oh also, does anybody know if there will be Stax headphones for audition there? Specifically I'm interested in the 3170 AMP+SR 307 combo, or any of the other x07 lineup from Stax becaues they're cheaper...

Or any other electrostatic headphones at all? I am so interested in electrostatic now but it seems like this format is going extinct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back