CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015
Nov 10, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #121 of 1,339
  There should be a few member rigs with electrostatics for you to try out.  I always bring at least a couple electrostats.

May I humbly request that you bring your Sennheiser Orpheus?

I have heard of its legend for such a long time, and I have yet to have an audition.

Nov 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #122 of 1,339
I sold it. 

I'll bring the DIY clones instead
smile.gif

Nov 10, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #126 of 1,339
  It seems like other head-fi'ers would be friendly enough to watch over your things when you're away.

Generally speaking, this winds up being whomever you'd be sharing a table with (tablemates) though there are exceptions as well.

For the past few meets where I brought a rig, I basically set it up and walked away for the whole day.  Everything was fine when I returned eight hours later to pack up.  
smile.gif
  My point is, we all look out for one another, in ways that are better than any third-party security personnel ever could.  That is the way it has always been.

But I personally do think it's not so taboo to allow other people to audition your 'cans while you're away without asking (at a reasonable volume), because that's half the reason why you bring your 'cans - to share with other too. But probably if we're going away for more than 2 hours it's better to carry your laptop in your bag, I'd say.

No, of course not.  And that's the whole reason behind the member showcase.  
smile.gif
  And for the record, that's what meets are all about... to the point that there are some fairly well-established rules regarding how to audition member gear.

The following rules are the same rules that have been in effect at every meet third_eye and I have done (2013 LA Regional Meet, 2014 Official SoCal Head-Fi Meet, 2014 Official SF Head-Fi Meet, 2014 Official LA Head-Fi Meet):

1. Please treat fellow head-fiers, vendors, and their gear with the utmost care and respect.
  2. Do not unplug headphones without asking permission from the owners first.
  3. Do not turn anything on or off without asking permission first.
  4. Do not move anyone's gear from their established area without asking permission.
  5. Absolutely no food and drink will be allowed near any equipment including your own. There is ample space within the hotel, as well as Starbucks/bar/restaurant for food and drink.
  6. Please have courtesy and ensure that your hands are CLEAN before handling other’s equipment.
  7. Be mindful of the time you are spending listening to vendors and others’ gear especially if there are others waiting in line.
  8. Be mindful of personal hygiene. DO NOT use hair gel or other product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
    DO NOT wear hair gel or any cosmetic product that may damage or stain a headband or earpads.
  9. Please use common sense! To repeat the most important rule: treat fellow head-fiers, vendors, and their gear with the utmost care and respect.

And those are also - by and large - the same rules for all meets worldwide going back for well over a decade.

My point is, meet security is hardly a new issue.  And there have been hundreds of successful meets around the world to prove that the system currently in place works just fine.  Reinventing this particular wheel is not necessary.

But probably if we're going away for more than 2 hours it's better to carry your laptop in your bag, I'd say.

People generally leave a source at their rigs.  Most of the time, this winds up being a laptop of some sort.  

Some people just leave it there relatively unattended (after having made arrangements for their tablemate to watch over stuff).

Others get rather inventive with regards to a security apparatus.  If I remember correctly, JustinBieber set up a clamp system at a meet earlier this year, to reduce the chances of people messing with connections and what not.  Yup, found it:

So do you guys think that carrying around your personally selected headphone test tracks on both SD card and USB flash drive would be good to use to listen on most of the vendors systems? Maybe also put them on your phone too as a basic transport.

Yes!  
smile.gif
 And most exhibitors are pretty cool about letting you use your own test tracks.  99% of the time, all you need to do is ask.

Also, it's a good idea to bring a CD (self-compiled) as a back-up.  Sometimes, a disc player is the only source they have.  Not to mention the possibility that you might want to audition a disc player (if that is what that exhibitor is presenting).

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:15 AM Post #127 of 1,339
I thought the quik grip was because the power connector didn't stay in by itself. You can see the grip is only contacting the power plug on the left side.

Nov 11, 2014 at 1:31 PM Post #128 of 1,339

That's true as well, though our Windows 8 tablet-based system doesn't allow for it. It would be great to have Tidal as an option (we are subscribers), otherwise we'll be bringing our own wireless network with a huge music selection (streamed via JRiver to the tablets) and, of course, will be able to take any external drives that anyone brings.

We will be testing the connection speed at the venue and will provide feedback if this is a viable option or not.
  I sold it. 

I'll bring the DIY clones instead
smile.gif

Oohhhh, I would have loved to hear the Orpheus and look forward to hearing the clones.

I'm in.

I'll be bringing an electrostatic rig.

Source will be CD's. I won't be the only one, so it's a good idea for you new guys to bring a few CD's as well as your computer sources.

Yay, got you down Frank! 

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #129 of 1,339
So things might change a bit and probably will but I should be bringing a couple of things.  Yulong DA8, Beta 22, Dynahi (if its done by then), Krell KSA-5(if its done by then), LCD 3.  Also I have a couple of First Watt clones that I can bring if anyone is crazy enough to hook their headphones up to them.  (F4, F5Turbo).  That is what I got for now anyway.  We will see though.  

Nov 12, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #130 of 1,339
  There should be a few member rigs with electrostatics for you to try out.  I always bring at least a couple electrostats.

That sound excellent, and I would thank you so much if you would also be able to bring one of your Stax x07 Lambda Earspeaker systems, if you have any? 
gs1000.gif

So things might change a bit and probably will but I should be bringing a couple of things.  Yulong DA8, Beta 22, Dynahi (if its done by then), Krell KSA-5(if its done by then), LCD 3.  Also I have a couple of First Watt clones that I can bring if anyone is crazy enough to hook their headphones up to them.  (F4, F5Turbo).  That is what I got for now anyway.  We will see though.  

Totally rad! I have had it on my bucket list to audition the LCD-3 for a while; esp. since I was way underimpressed with the dull signature and non-textured treble of the LCD-2.

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #131 of 1,339
Lots of cool member tables @ethan and warrenchi can you guys make the list of equipment by member/vendor. There was some gear at the la meet that I wanted to check out but I couldn't remember who was supposed to bring it.

Ex
NERDLING
Electrostatic headphones
Electrostatic amp
CD player

Nov 13, 2014 at 6:23 PM Post #132 of 1,339
Lots of cool member tables @ethan and warrenchi can you guys make the list of equipment by member/vendor. There was some gear at the la meet that I wanted to check out but I couldn't remember who was supposed to bring it.

Ex
NERDLING
Electrostatic headphones
Electrostatic amp
CD player

They will end up doing that, but according to warren they are getting super busy.

Nov 14, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #134 of 1,339
They will end up doing that, but according to warren they are getting super busy.

Yeah - they should have a list going soon on users/tables.

You KNOW I'm not missing this!
GREAT job to @warrenpchi and @third_eye for building up a solid presence in SoCal with the Meets after and before T.H.E Headphonium at Newport. I know the shows success had alot to do with BOTH of their efforts with the Meets!!

Would love to get the lay-out of the Meet too...
Gonna bring some pretty cool stuff I'm psyched to share!!!!

belonged to my dearly departed friend and mentor Harry Pearson...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back