CanJam SoCal 2015, March 28-29, 2015
Nov 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #137 of 1,339

You KNOW I'm not missing this!
GREAT job to @warrenpchi and @third_eye for building up a solid presence in SoCal with the Meets after and before T.H.E Headphonium at Newport. I know the shows success had alot to do with BOTH of their efforts with the Meets!!

Would love to get the lay-out of the Meet too...
Gonna bring some pretty cool stuff I'm psyched to share!!!!

belonged to my dearly departed friend and mentor Harry Pearson...

Awesome!! So sad to hear about Harry. As someone who did not know him, I was really moved by the kind words you have written about him.

Nov 15, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #139 of 1,339
  Yeah - they should have a list going soon on users/tables.

You KNOW I'm not missing this!
GREAT job to @warrenpchi and @third_eye for building up a solid presence in SoCal with the Meets after and before T.H.E Headphonium at Newport. I know the shows success had alot to do with BOTH of their efforts with the Meets!!

Would love to get the lay-out of the Meet too...
Gonna bring some pretty cool stuff I'm psyched to share!!!!

belonged to my dearly departed friend and mentor Harry Pearson...

Mean ye Pearson of the abso!ute sound®?  That's the periodical from which I pulled my ideas of what to seek, or if necessary build, for Pro Audio!  Like cross-matching no fewer than eight Mackie® SRM450v2 or -v3 perimeters with dual Avantgarde Acoustic® Basshorn™ subs, all fed from a not-finalized (as of November 2014) McIntosh® MX-series surround-sound processor, for a PA redesign for a Church worship center with a long history of comb filtering from previous rigs.

Nov 15, 2014 at 8:16 AM Post #140 of 1,339

Awesome!! So sad to hear about Harry. As someone who did not know him, I was really moved by the kind words you have written about him.

Thanks brother.
I greatly appreciate the kind words man.
The big essay, that I had to write for PFO - should be published this weekend.
That was both Cathartic and RUFF...

Mercer gonna  need three tables for all his bringing . LOL

HELL YEAH! Just got a few more things I gotta consider!!
But I wanna keep it to one whole system, or maybe a KILLER desktop system, and a portable rig...

Mean ye Pearson of the abso!ute sound®?  That's the periodical from which I pulled my ideas of what to seek, or if necessary build, for Pro Audio!  Like cross-matching no fewer than eight Mackie® SRM450v2 or -v3 perimeters with dual Avantgarde Acoustic® Basshorn™ subs, all fed from a not-finalized (as of November 2014) McIntosh® MX-series surround-sound processor, for a PA redesign for a Church worship center with a long history of comb filtering from previous rigs.

AWESOME!!
I was SO psyched to read this!

Are you comin' down to CanJam West??

Nov 15, 2014 at 4:28 PM Post #141 of 1,339
Hello MikeMercer, your setup may be one of the highlights! It's the 'total business'!!! Please confirm:

Are you bringing your gear to Can Jam L.A. in March?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I can tell from the photos: Audeze LCD-3, Mad Dog (Fostex), and some sort of B&W mini-can? And then obviously the awesome HD 800 & Lambda set.

Would you PLEASE also bring your: B&O H6, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and any electrostatic 'cans you may have?

PS Mike- what is the name & city of that church with the hi-fi PA system? Maybe I'd like to visit the service sometime too.

Nov 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM Post #142 of 1,339
Glad to see Mike is on board.

Sorry to hear about Harry, Mike. I can only imagine how it would be to lose a mentor.

From what I can see, though, your mentor does have some good taste. Perhaps that's why his student has such good taste!

I'm still rocking the Caribou remix of Radiohead's Little By Little as a definitive bass test song to this day.

Talking about which, I'm scaling my setup this year, so I hope it'll be an interesting listen to you.

Nov 16, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #143 of 1,339
Have my room reservation and plane tickets. Looking forward to this. Amazing the number of people from Can Jam 2009 that have signed up! Are the name badges going to have both Head-Fi and real names?

Looking forward to seeing a lot of great people.

Nov 16, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #144 of 1,339
  Glad to see Mike is on board.

Sorry to hear about Harry, Mike. I can only imagine how it would be to lose a mentor.

From what I can see, though, your mentor does have some good taste. Perhaps that's why his student has such good taste!

I'm still rocking the Caribou remix of Radiohead's Little By Little as a definitive bass test song to this day.

Talking about which, I'm scaling my setup this year, so I hope it'll be an interesting listen to you.

Thanks for this note B!!
I greatly appreciate it.

and I'm pumped to hear your rig!!
YES - did you check out Caribou's new album Our Love? I reviewed it at Positive Feedback BTW.
Check out that record! "All I Ever Need" is another great bass and transient attack test-track!

Have my room reservation and plane tickets. Looking forward to this. Amazing the number of people from Can Jam 2009 that have signed up! Are the name badges going to have both Head-Fi and real names?

will be GREAT to meet you David!!!!

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:00 AM Post #145 of 1,339
Hello MikeMercer, your setup may be one of the highlights! It's the 'total business'!!! Please confirm:

Are you bringing your gear to Can Jam L.A. in March?

And correct me if I'm wrong, but here's what I can tell from the photos: Audeze LCD-3, Mad Dog (Fostex), and some sort of B&W mini-can? And then obviously the awesome HD 800 & Lambda set.

Would you PLEASE also bring your: B&O H6, Sennheiser HD 25-1 II and any electrostatic 'cans you may have?

PS Mike- what is the name & city of that church with the hi-fi PA system? Maybe I'd like to visit the service sometime too.

HEY!
YES! & there was a pic of my Audeze LCD-XC, and Master & Dynamic MH40 cans (maybe the ones you thought were the "B&W mini-can"

Lets be sure to stay in touch here so I can bring the cans you listed above!!

I'm really debating on going tube or solid-state, or maybe tubes in the pre-amp stage, and solid-state at amp end, etc...

I do know I wanna bring my Cavalli Audio Liquid Gold! (differential solid-state)

as for the church - PLS jog my memory - when I used to do high-end audio installs we did a few churches in the metropolitan area - NY, NJ, CT...

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:08 AM Post #146 of 1,339
  Thanks for this note B!!
I greatly appreciate it.

and I'm pumped to hear your rig!!
YES - did you check out Caribou's new album Our Love? I reviewed it at Positive Feedback BTW.
Check out that record! "All I Ever Need" is another great bass and transient attack test-track!

Oh yeah!

Man, maybe I should follow you more closely for more awesome music!

I just heard a sample of the song on iTunes, and you betcha I ordered the album immediately after the first 5 seconds!

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:35 AM Post #147 of 1,339
A few Church installs among the audiophile-system builds?  Right up my alley.
wink_face.gif
Doubts about making south State for CanJam, as work keeps me busy almost year-round in the San Francisco area.  As of 2014, I'm looking into the problem of specifying a massive speaker rig for, of all things, a four-manual organ in the preliminary design phase.

Although Allen® has a full bag of dynamic speaker cabs for their Quantum™ semi-custom digital organs, I'm also looking into some Nearfield® Pipedreams™ columns for part of the Hovedvaerk and Pedål (both Divisions will get their own amplifiers), definitely the Brystvaerk (easier to fit into the center wall behind the platform), potentially part of the Fjernvaerk as well, due to space constraints - the architect left me little room for an organ install and I anticipate needing Stewart® acoustically-transparent projection screens as part of the install.  With Expanded Audio Capabilities, Allen® has the inside track - I've already identified a need for better instrument monitors than the Peavey® actives in use, which were intended for vocal monitoring but got pressed into instrument monitor duty and REALLY struggle with the bass.  Only part of the problem I don't yet know is whether I need discrete feeds for the instrument monitors - I have to deal with up to three guitars, bass guitar, keyboards, and I cannot yet rule out electronic percussions; all will probably need stereo sends to the organ's amplifier cabinet due to the preamp/effects devices likely to be used.

One more immediate acquisition problem I have is the sort of monitoring headphone would sound flattest with the built-in headphone amp on a Peavey® FX2-32, brought in as an upgrade from a 24FX that had too few input channels to use the whole snake (a sixteen XLR plus four 6.3mm-TRS affair); although the AKG®/Harman® Q701 and McIntosh® MHP1000 would be ideal candidates, price strikes against both - the trustees are sure to balk at a headphone exceeding $400.00 before tax and/or shipping.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:52 PM Post #149 of 1,339
  Ill bring my vintage vinyl rig if there is room for it.

That would be really cool! 

Look forward to meeting you David. Yes, there will be options for the name badges to have both names on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back