You complete me.  
smile.gif

Nov 7, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #93 of 1,339
Challenge accepted!  
wink.gif

Nov 8, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #96 of 1,339
I'll be there!

Nov 8, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #99 of 1,339
I'm going to have to see if I can swing attending this. It all depends on what happens with the new job over the next couple of months.

I swear if you dont come I will be so upset. JK I know how things are going with you but I hope you make it.

Nov 9, 2014 at 2:54 PM Post #100 of 1,339
Hello, I haven't been to any formal headphone meeting like CanJam before, just a small unofficial meeting, but I would love to come. So forgiveme my 'newbieness, but if somebody could please fill me in on a few things, that would be quite great:

* Can head-fi'ers bring their own headphones and / amps?

* If so, is there usually enough space to set it up? Or do we have to carry it in our backpack and nego. with the official vendors if we can plug it in for comparison purposes?

* In terms of the registration, is there a deadline when I have to register? I'm sure there's some sort of max. capicity for the event

* Will this primarily be company booths of headphone manufactures showcashing their items, or tables for head-fi'ers to showcase their own gear from home - or a combination thereof?

I guess that should be all - except I will also try to find lodging for around $40 / night

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #101 of 1,339
Hello, I haven't been to any formal headphone meeting like CanJam before, just a small unofficial meeting, but I would love to come. So forgiveme my 'newbieness, but if somebody could please fill me in on a few things, that would be quite great:

Would be happy to!  
smile.gif

* Can head-fi'ers bring their own headphones and / amps?

Yes.  In addition to the "member showcase" concept that we are working on (details to follow), you should also bring some gear with which to audition items that you might be interested in.  For example, if you are looking for a new headphone or IEM for your portable rig, you should bring your portable rig.  If you are looking for a new amp, you should bring your headphones.  And of course, bring your preferred music or reference tracks for evaluating gear.

* If so, is there usually enough space to set it up? Or do we have to carry it in our backpack and nego. with the official vendors if we can plug it in for comparison purposes?

Lol, we will arrange for ample space for those in the "member showcase" yes.  
biggrin.gif

* Will this primarily be company booths of headphone manufactures showcashing their items, or tables for head-fi'ers to showcase their own gear from home - or a combination thereof?

Definitely a combination thereof, though again, we are still refining the "member showcase" concept that we have in mind.  

* In terms of the registration, is there a deadline when I have to register? I'm sure there's some sort of max. capacity for the event

Timewise, you can register up to an hour before the event, or register on-site.  Having said that, yes, you're right.  There is a finite number of passes available to comply with maximum capacity, insurance provisions, fire code, etc.  My advice is simply for everyone to register sooner rather than later.

I guess that should be all - except I will also try to find lodging for around $40 / night

Good luck!  
smile.gif
  The closest Super 8 and Travelodge in the area are still $88/night and $84/night respectively.  That said, it might be better (and by that I mean it *will* be better) if you share a double room with someone using our negotiated discount of $159/night ($79.50 per person).  The Westin is a *much* nicer hotel, and you'd be in the center of all the action.

Plus, sharing a room with a fellow Head-Fier usually results in a friend made.  If you look at the two posts right before yours (AxelCloris & shirorisekine), there's an example of two guys that shared a room at CanJam @ RMAF 2014, who are now buddies.  
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 5:20 PM Post #102 of 1,339
Hello, thanks for your explanation. That would be great if you were to have a large enough Member Showcase area just in case too many of us want to set up our laptop+amp rig and still have space.

I also have a suggestion - maybe you can also hire a private security guard to watch over the Member Showcase to ensure that nobody's gear will get stolen while they are walking around samping headphones at the booths for hours on end. Or maybe you could ask the hotel if their own security could provide that for free; in the interest of minimizing any possible liability of that sort for them. Thanks again

Nov 9, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #103 of 1,339
Hello, thanks for your explanation. That would be great if you were to have a large enough Member Showcase area just in case too many of us want to set up our laptop+amp rig and still have space.

I also have a suggestion - maybe you can also hire a private security guard to watch over the Member Showcase to ensure that nobody's gear will get stolen while they are walking around samping headphones at the booths for hours on end. Or maybe you could ask the hotel if their own security could provide that for free; in the interest of minimizing any possible liability of that sort for them. Thanks again

While we have never had a problem in the past at the more recent head-fi meets, I understand your concern. I believe there will be people staff there that can watch over your stuff if you do decide to wonder off, all you have to do is let Warren/Ethan know and they will find someone.

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #104 of 1,339

While I understand your trepidation, I should note that it would literally be impossible for someone other than you to watch your own gear.  
redface.gif

There are going to be many people there, wandering in and out with gear of their own - some of which may look similar to gear already in the room - as well as numerous backpacks, messenger bags and the like.  There is simply no way that anyone other than the owner of said gear can be expected to memorize which gear belongs to whom in any given room - where there are dozens of rigs setup.  This is especially true of hotel personnel who have little to no knowledge of the hobby.

BTW, the hotel specifically disclaims any liability for any and all gear or equipment that does not belong to them... as do we.  
smile.gif

Additionally, TSA will not be on-site for bag or body cavity searches at the entrances/exits of member showcase rooms.  
wink.gif

So in the end, everyone ultimately accepts responsibility and liability over their own gear.  As such, it incumbent upon us all - both members and exhibitors alike - to watch over own own gear.  This is the way it has been done for years, at meets and shows, and it has traditionally been quite effective.  This is also the reason why members might elect to not bring gear if they intend to wander the exhibitions.  
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #105 of 1,339
Originally Posted by shiorisekine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I believe there will be people staff there that can watch over your stuff 

Nope (see previous post).  
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back