CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #183 of 955

Well, I have to say that I was a little disappointed. I feel it was 99% high-end and precious little for the average or below average headphone user which is the category I fall into and I imagine I’m not alone in that.

Gotta disagree.  There were plenty of headphones of all price ranges available throughout the entire show.  

If there was one headphone that was dominant, I'd have to say it was the MrSpeaker Ether.  It was on almost every major ampmaker's table, along with the Audeze and HD-800.  YMMV.  

Oppo had price points from $1500 down to $250.  Sennheiser had most of their line there.  Even Noble had variable pricing, as did UE.  

I agree CanJam tends to cater a bit toward the expensive, but I say thank goodness.  I want to hear the stuff I can't afford.  I want to hear the stuff in rarified air-- just as much as the mid and lower ranges.  It's out of that higher end stuff that the tech trickles down to consumer friendly versions, much of the time.  

I thought it was a great event with good folk.  

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #185 of 955

Gotta disagree.  There were plenty of headphones of all price ranges available throughout the entire show.  

If there was one headphone that was dominant, I'd have to say it was the MrSpeaker Ether.  It was on almost every major ampmaker's table, along with the Audeze and HD-800.  YMMV.  

Oppo had price points from $1500 down to $250.  Sennheiser had most of their line there.  Even Noble had variable pricing, as did UE.  

I agree CanJam tends to cater a bit toward the expensive, but I say thank goodness.  I want to hear the stuff I can't afford.  I want to hear the stuff in rarified air-- just as much as the mid and lower ranges.  It's out of that higher end stuff that the tech trickles down to consumer friendly versions, much of the time.  

I thought it was a great event with good folk.  

Hmm, I must have been at a different event then?
I would not know a Mr. Speaker headphone if it came up ans bit me. Does it look exactly like the Audeze ones? If so, that would explain that.
Oppo only had the HA-1 as far as I saw, Fantastic amp/dac! Sennheiser only had The urban line, the wireless one and HD600, HD800 and HD 650 when I was there. There where no HD598 or 558 or anything else. I still found talking to the rep and learning about the company history interesting though.
I disagree with trickle-down economics for lack of hard evidence.
Agreed, good folk there.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #187 of 955
You know one of the problems I had at the Hifiman station was that they had no good music. I swear where was the Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, REM, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Def Leppard, Muse, The Doors, Rap? no rap?  cmon contemporary music fans I like variety and eclectic music. If you like to hear 70s and 80s music you'll get your Darryl Hall and Oates, Marvin Gaye, Frampton, Rush, Earth Wind and Fire but I swear all they had was boring music.. with the exception of the Metallica (bad mastering) and the Depeche Mode I heard oh yeah and Collective Soul - Shine

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:40 PM Post #189 of 955
  LH Labs guys went to the event, didn't they? I guess I have read they would bring the Geek Pulse Xfinite and some other stuff.

I have not read a single post about the Pulse DAC.

Read my post a few posts back. I commented on DACs and included the LPS4 too

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:44 PM Post #190 of 955
  You know one of the problems I had at the Hifiman station was that they had no good music. I swear where was the Led Zeppelin, Van Halen, REM, Beatles, Rolling Stones, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Def Leppard, Muse, The Doors, Rap? no rap?  cmon contemporary music fans I like variety and eclectic music. If you like to hear 70s and 80s music you'll get your Darryl Hall and Oates, Marvin Gaye, Frampton, Rush, Earth Wind and Fire but I swear all they had was boring music.. with the exception of the Metallica (bad mastering) and the Depeche Mode I heard oh yeah and Collective Soul - Shine

That is bad. An eclectic variety would be nice. Something like Chesky or high-quality Head-Fi albums would be very welcome.
Interestingly I remember facing this exact same thing when I attended the Fujiya Avic Headphone Festival last May in Tokyo. At the time they were presenting the HE-560 and HE-400i.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:48 PM Post #192 of 955
  Hmm, I must have been at a different event then?
I would not know a Mr. Speaker headphone if it came up ans bit me. Does it look exactly like the Audeze ones? If so, that would explain that.
Oppo only had the HA-1 as far as I saw, Fantastic amp/dac! Sennheiser only had The urban line, the wireless one and HD600, HD800 and HD 650 when I was there. There where no HD598 or 558 or anything else. I still found talking to the rep and learning about the company history interesting though.
I disagree with trickle-down economics for lack of hard evidence.
Agreed, good folk there.

While the majority was high end, there were some very good lower-tier finds as well. The Oppo HA-2 (their portable DAC/amp) was great ($299), and a pretty serious bang-for-buck deal. The PM-3 is a little on the high side of average, but I don't think you could consider it "high end". There were a number of interesting IEMs there, ranging from fairly inexpensive up through a few hundred dollars (the Echobox is one that I'm really looking forward to, I think. In fact, one of the reasons I was able to hold off on biting on a cIEM was that I'm really curious to try out the first run of those mighty mites). Heck, one of the two purchases that I made was a Pendulumic S1+, which was $179 (including the tax).

I wasn't really in the market for a multi-thousand dollar amp and headphone combination, but it was awesome getting to listen to some of those. I have a newfound love for planar magnetic headphones which eventually will cost me mucho dinero (but I'm hoping I can get by in the next year with some Oppo gear to get me started). 

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #193 of 955
  Oops, my bad. I read quickly and just noted the "Geek Pulse", did not pay attention to the "top model version" like you wrote.

So, it is good but nothing out of this world? Did they have the HPA as well?

It is really really good but I felt the only detraction was maybe slight digital sound in the highs and the price point. I would say go with it if you were one of the initial funders of the kickstarter campaign. But I wouldn't buy it at its top price. Yulong DA8 might be a better option if you already have a good amp that is my opinion.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #194 of 955
Mr Speakers Ether was EVERYWHERE and arguably hit of the show, very impressive and light as can be.

yup and my favorite headphone from the show, followed closely by the LCD XC.  Also surprised how good the K10 is, I thought I was gonna like the Layla a lot more bore but I think the K10 is really good.

Mar 29, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #195 of 955
Wahsmoh, I totally had the same problem, and not just at Hifiman. I prefer to test phones with a mix of rock, jazz, and acoustic, and it was incredibly hard to find listening stations that had solid big band recordings (which push phones way beyond the typical bop jazz, IMO). Kudos to the guys who had TIDAL going as a backup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back