CanJam SoCal 2015 Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 31, 2015 at 10:47 PM Post #526 of 955
  Hello, I have seen so many comments about the "Aurender girl", but I have 0 clue what this is in reference to. Is this a nickname for some audio equipment, or for a girl that was working there? If somebody could send a photo, that would help please. And I was there the whole time but I still don't know what this is too.

Also did anybody else get the rare chance to audition a Hifiman HE-6 headphone? I was lucky enough to audition one from a fellow head-fi'er and it was definitely one of the stars of the show with its' lush fluidic multi-layered sound that takes you deep into the listening environment. But I heard Hifiman is phasing them out! So any good amp / DAC pairing recommendations for the HE-6 would be appreciated (low budget options preferred :wink:

It's a person who was working the Aurender booth.  I think talking about her like this is a bit creepy to begin with, let's try not to pass around photos while we're at it.  

Besides, the Aurender FLOW was the real star of that booth.  One of the stars of the show!

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #528 of 955
There are photos out there. Have at it folks.

That said, I enjoyed the show especially among friends. Props to Head Fi folk and the volunteers for keeping it mostly civil. Yeah, the thieves were the downside, but for the most part a fun time.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:09 PM Post #529 of 955
  Hello, I have seen so many comments about the "Aurender girl", but I have 0 clue what this is in reference to. Is this a nickname for some audio equipment, or for a girl that was working there? If somebody could send a photo, that would help please. And I was there the whole time but I still don't know what this is too.

It's a person who was working the Aurender booth.  I think talking about her like this is a bit creepy to begin with, let's try not to pass around photos while we're at it.  

I thought it was a new pair of Jerry Harvey in-ears.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #532 of 955
  I agree with so many other posts about not having proper music selections for demoing audio gear. As far as using classical and acapella music to audition headphones - it will fool you most every time. You need a source audio track that utilizes most of the frequency range, especially with at least a moderate paced rhythm in order to properly be able to hear what any speaker system can do. Otherwise with the likes of ambient, vocal-only or classical music you are mostly just hearing the midrange part of the sound spectrum and have no basis at all to catch a glimpse of the dynamics / impact, sub-bass and treble the audio gear is capable of. This specific reason is why I walked away from several headphones that could have been good. So rhythmic music such as EDM or even pop & hip-hop work well for auditioning, as well as rock - BUT only the ones that are mastered well, which, IMO only accounts for about 1-3% of all music. For me personally I brought some big-beat/electro songs that were particularly mastered well, along with an EDM and rock song that was mastered by a super-established mastering engineer (Bob Ludwig); with well-mastered music that takes advantage of the whole frequency range / instrument layering / soundstage imagining with medium-to-fast rhythmic elements it can be possible to get a very good initial impression of a headphone's performance within just 5 - 15 seconds.

I also agree, even being a techie that I too had a hard time figuring out how to work these digital media players which didn't have any buttons besides on/off and volume, or even any indication on the flatscreen where the buttons are that can can allow you to choose a different album or genre. Daft Punk's newest (mastered by Bob Ludwig) and Radiohead were quite prevelant on many of the exhibitor booths so this was helpful, but my suggestion to all the exhibitors is to please stay "with the times" in your music selection by offering more popular, rhythmic-based music to test your headphones; and secondly to check the credits to make sure it was mastered by a well established audio engineer.

EDIT: medium-to-fast paced jazz can work well too

I found this annoying too.  Though I purposely try badly recorded music as well - because like you said, stuff that has been mastered well only makes up a few percent of recordings, so I think it's easier for a headphone to sound good if the recording's good, but given that the majority of my cd collection isn't brilliantly recorded, I need to know how they will sound with a variety of different stuff.  I just mentioned in another thread that I use the song "Thirsty Dog" by Nick Cave (among many others) when I'm demoing headphones - not because it's well recorded, but because it has some of the harshest sounding guitars that I can think of, and I want to know how the headphone will present a recording like that.  What good is a headphone that can only play well recorded music well?  Especially when well recorded music is relatively hard to come by.

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #533 of 955

I found this annoying too.  Though I purposely try badly recorded music as well - because like you said, stuff that has been mastered well only makes up a few percent of recordings, so I think it's easier for a headphone to sound good if the recording's good, but given that the majority of my cd collection isn't brilliantly recorded, I need to know how they will sound with a variety of different stuff.  I just mentioned in another thread that I use the song "Thirsty Dog" by Nick Cave (among many others) when I'm demoing headphones - not because it's well recorded, but because it has some of the harshest sounding guitars that I can think of, and I want to know how the headphone will present a recording like that.  What good is a headphone that can only play well recorded music well?  Especially when well recorded music is relatively hard to come by.

I think those are good points. But I also think, in a way, we want bad artifacts, and other various effects, to be revealed by headphones. That's a matter of taste, really. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #534 of 955
  FYI, for those who listened on our Woo 5 setup, we discovered late in the weekend that the Sophia Royal Princess 300B on the right channel was failing.  Broken mica floating about that was really degrading the sound.  I had just received the unit and barely had time to listen during setup and simply didn't know what I was missing.  I tried some new tubes when I got home.  In fairness to our friends at Woo, don't judge the amp based on what your heard.  It's MUCH better.

I was there when you changed out the tubes, and really wondered whether the amp would be at its best knowing how long tubes take to bed in in most setups.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #535 of 955
  BTW, are you feeding the amps at CanJam with WDS-1?

GES electrostatic amp with Stax SR404-LE headphones was feed by WDS-1 dac.  WA22 and WA6 by Sony HAP-z1es server.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #536 of 955
  I've been ROCKIN' the Riva Turbo for weeks now - was supposed to have a review DONE for Positive Feedback before Canjam - 
but the last couple weeks been MAD.\ - rough time for my wifey...

However - owning both Peachtree bluetooth speakers (1st edition + Current) - I can honestly say that, when it comes to reproduction of vocals especially,
the Riva, IMHO, SMOKES both Peachtree deepblues!!!!

of course, the new Deepblue has an edge strictly due to mass, and, speaker guys know: There's NO replacement for displacement!
So the larger drivers bring about a fuller, lower-end-capable sound.

But being a Jambox by Jawbone owner (yeah yeah, worked w/ those guys WAY back) - I can safely say I'm a RIVA-convert!
and the battery lasts for DEEP.

However - the Turbo option (essentially a better "loudness" button) makes that damn car engine sound when you engage it!
If it wasn't audible when music was playing - GREAT!!! But its a LIL' annoying.

I love it though

and two review of the unit coming at PFO + Audio360.org!!
I'll also try to do a user review here as well 

Hi Mike,

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Turbo X! 

You can change the audio prompts either through the Settings in the RIVA Ground Control app or you may hold down the Bluetooth and the Volume + buttons together for 3 seconds and it will toggle between the Voice and Tones mode.  

Looking forward to reading your reviews.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:46 AM Post #537 of 955
  @Bill-P

I think it was you that I sold my he560 to. Given the enormous price difference of the two(he 560 and Ether) which of the two is more transparent, open sounding, and has the more dependable bass response and quantity.

I really enjoyed reading your impressions by the way. I found them very useful. 

I also notice that everyone refers to the lcd3f but I had that headphone and traded it because I thought its impact to be very mediocre and its midrange, though very sweat and smooth, to be a bit odd. I instead now have an lcd-x and finds its bass to hit a bit harder with better extension than the lcd3f. I think the he560, though not ideal in quantity(a bit shy for my tastes), has the most ideal composure and impact of any headphone I have had including the lcd-x. But do to the lcd-x quantity and very good impact, its the overall winner for me. Having said all that, and considering that the he560 is about the least amount of bass I can accept, do you think the ETHER would be up my alley at all. If so I would keep the lcd-x and get the Ether as a companion. I would def take a look at the more expensive Dharma but I know I would grow tired of its bass if its the weak spot like everyone mentions. If its impact makes up for it then I may be game.

Thanks in advance.

Yep! It was me who got your HE-560.

To be honest, I'd say... the Ether sounds essentially... just like the stock HE-560. Except it's much less likely to exhibit the slight bit of grain/harsh/peakiness in the treble as the HE-560. I suspect the frequency response of the Ether would look... smoother than the HE-560 if it was to be measured.

But subjectively, I'd have to say... the two headphones sound more similar than not. However, I'd say... the Ether seems more like a luxurious product that's worth at least the same price as the HE-560, whereas the HE-560 feels... plasticky and a bit cheap. Not that it's not durable, but the veneer isn't doing the 560 any favor there.

Anyway, I'm talking cosmetic because... again, I simply think the two headphones are that similar. I suspect you won't like the Ether if you didn't like the HE-560 (isn't that why you sold it to me to begin with?).

If you want something that sounds cleaner/clearer/more transparent in stock form, I'd say... wait for the HE-1000 to go down in price? I think $1500 is a reasonable price for the HE-1000... and then my quibbles with it would be pretty much gone. It's just... too much money for essentially a grown-up HE-6.

IMO, the HE-1000 is closer to a grown-up HE-6 than a grown-up HE-560 due to there being less harshness in the treble, and overall a more thin but warm sound. That's my impression of the HE-6 as well: it's thin but warm in tonal balance, with an occasional tendency to sound sibilant/strident.

If you like the LCD-X, I think... you'll be there a long while. I don't think I have heard any other planar magnetic headphone in stock form that's currently in production that sounds anything like the LCD-X.

That's great. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't negatively influencing your impressions somehow. I would have loved to listen to the R10 more myself, but it's unfortunate the show had to end. 

Also, this thread is still going pretty fast, and I remain short on time to dedicate to it.

Oh, no. I was essentially echoing what my friends have told me, and what I have read in impressions.

Maybe the R10's magic just worked on me. I also have a few friends who were not impressed by the R10 at all.

Now I know what I might upgrade to in a year or 2 ! Thanks. I'd buy a B-stock pair or not at standard price but still gorgeous headphone. 

Yeah, I think Ether is a good upgrade from the HE-560 if you don't want to have to bother with modding.

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #538 of 955
Warren schiit his pants...and I'm sooo jealous!!
  Of course.. this is my favorite 'cause Warren is the Schiit.. for real! 

Everyone knows that I like to wear audio t-shirts... but I got to thinking that pants were an untapped segment of the promotional apparel segment, and wanted to try something new.  Special thanks to Denise Martin and Jason Stoddard for getting Schiit on my pants.  LIVIN' THE DREAM Y'ALL!  
smile.gif

Slightly disappointed by the lack of analog sources, though I did meet one dude with a full complement of Sherwood receivers (tube & SS) and a Concept 2QD tt, which sounded great on his DIY speaker taps. Nice work, brother.

That was CrocCap over in the Member Showcase.  
smile.gif

The first thing I had to do was look for Warren and Ethan
biggrin.gif
After missing so many meets, it was a great joy and relief to finally meet these two gentlemen! 

It was so good finally meeting you!  I finally got a chance to take a break towards the end of the day, but I just couldn't bring myself to wake you from the nap (which was EXACTLY what I wanted to do myself).  
biggrin.gif
  Hopefully I'll get to see you at the next one as well?

Originally Posted by UmustBKidn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Bravo to all of you who organized this meet, and thank you - I am still in awe of how many people from our hobby were there.

Originally Posted by Mr Rick /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great products, great people, great show. Congratulations to Jude and the team!!!

Originally Posted by moses1258 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks to everyone who organized SoCal Can Jam.  It was a treat and it was fun watching folks swim in the Westin pool,  while back here in Atlanta, it's freezing.

Originally Posted by rschoi75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

This show was definitely the largest headphone oriented show I've been too, and was very interesting! You guys really did a wonderful job, so thank you to all the Can Jam 2015 staff. 

Originally Posted by Odin412 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks to the organizers and staff for a great event. Great music, lots of cool and good sounding stuff, friendly people, beautiful weather. What's not to like? See you next time!

Originally Posted by DPogster /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First of, thanks to all the Headfi peeps that made CanJam 2015 possible. This was my first meet of any type and I loved every minute of it. Everyone from staff to vendors were very nice and helpful.

Originally Posted by billybob_jcv /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Great show - congrats to Jude, Warren, Third-Eye and everyone else that worked so hard to make it happen.

Originally Posted by n3rdling /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks Warren, Ethan, Jude, Amos, and the rest of the people that put this together.  The turnout was massive and I know you guys worked hard.  The brochure was a nice touch.

Had a good time chatting with people.  It was nice seeing everybody again, see you all at the next one.

beerchug.gif

Originally Posted by Sam Edwards /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to offer my deep thanks to the organizers.

Originally Posted by VisceriousZERO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A huge thanks to the CanJam guys, it was great to meet you guys

Hope to attend more and test more gear soon! Hopefully with more time on my hands :)

Originally Posted by Trager /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Speaking of the organization of the event -- serious kudos to the organizers for the bingo-style drawing entries, which introduced me to a bunch of people and products that I might otherwise have skipped over

Originally Posted by Zashoomin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you to the people who set up this meet; I know it was a lot of work and I can't thank you enough for everything you have done.

A huge thank you again to everyone who made this meet possible and everyone who attended; I had a blast.  

Originally Posted by shiorisekine /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also I would like to thank Ethan, Warren, Jude and JOE whose name i made bigger so no one forgets to thank him as well.

Originally Posted by Netforce /img/forum/go_quote.gif

+1! Thanks to you also Andre! Shout out to all the staff, volunteers and everybody else who attended.

Originally Posted by chartwell85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

HUGE shoutout to everyone that was able to attend CanJam!  Awesome show, stellar turnout and uber amazing community interaction!  You guys/gals totally rocked it!

We would like to take this opportunity to thank the entire Head-Fi team for organizing the event.  

Originally Posted by MITBuyersClub /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Awesome job Warren and Jude and all of the CanJam Staff.. you made us feel welcome and included in this Head-fi group, and we appreciate it! Just a few pics from our booth over the weekend! 

Originally Posted by Stillhart /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In other news, I plan on writing up a nice long, thorough impression from the show.

But until then, I just wanted to say thank so much to everyone who organized the show and attended.

Anyways, thanks so much to everyone who contributed to just an amazing weekend for me.

Originally Posted by edstrelow /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks to jude, warrenpchi  and all the others who I did not meet who put Canjam together.  I am sure these things are  a lot of work to organize and we owe aa debt of gratitude to those who take on this task.  For my part the 9 hours I spent manning my table on Saturday and  about 7 hours on Sunday were great fun although I was exhausted by the end.

Originally Posted by darinf /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Awesome show! Thanks to Jude, Warren, Ethan and everyone else for organizing such a great meet.

-Darin Fong

Originally Posted by Vinnie R. /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I want to thank the SoCal CanJam 2015 Team for all their hard work in putting on a great show as always!  Coming out from cold and still snowy New England was a treat. 
cool.gif

Vinnie

Originally Posted by longbowbbs /img/forum/go_quote.gif

A BIG HIGH 5 to Ethan, Warren, Jude, Joe, Andre and everyone else from the Head-Fi team for a fantastic job well done!

Originally Posted by abernardi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It was a wonderful show, thanks to everyone who put so much time and love into this thing!

Originally Posted by mikemercer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You guys did a GREAT job all-around!!!!
Maseltov!!

and I had a terrific time!

Originally Posted by moedawg140 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
 ​
I would like to first give thanks to the entire CanJam staff for organizing the event and making sure everything went as smoothly as possible.

I can't wait for next year's CanJam SoCal, look forward to attending CanJam London, and happy listening, everyone!

Originally Posted by leesure /img/forum/go_quote.gif

First of all, thank you to Jude, Warren, Ethan and all the rest of the crew at SoCal Canjam.  The show was a huge success.  Well done guys!

Originally Posted by musicman59 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Warren, Joe, Jude and all the Headfi SoCal people that helped putting this CanJam together.... THANKS!!! it was awesome and a total success! You guys did a super job!
Will see you next year!

Originally Posted by Gilly87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Amen to that! These guys work like ghosts, I'm sure anyone who didn't know their faces didn't even notice them, but I know they worked their asses off to pull this thing together and make it run as smoothly as it did.

Hats off, Team CanJam!!

Originally Posted by FrankCooter /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Big thanks and appreciation to Jude, Warren, Ethan, and all the other behind the scenes organizers who work long tireless hours so we can have a couple of days of fun.

Despite its ever growing size, everything seemed to run very smoothly, and I can't imagine that anybody that attended didn't have a wonderful time.

Congratulations on a very successful CanJam!

Will see you all next year and some of you a lot sooner.

Originally Posted by matt8268 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks to all the organizers and facilitators of CanJam 2015. 

Thanks so much for coming guys!  
smile.gif
  Without you, there would be no CanJam.  
redface.gif

Last but not least, thank you Harmony for getting this shot! And yes, this was little Isla running around at 5:55pm on Saturday shouting "show closes in 5 minutes" 
wink.gif

I absolutely love that she doesn't call it CanJam, but rather "Daddy's Headphone Party" - that cracks me up every time!  
biggrin.gif

While I have a moment, I just wanted to jump into the thread and say thank you to everyone who attended CanJam SoCal. It was a pleasure to meet up with old friends and make new ones, all while seeing some amazing gear. I didn't get to listen to very much, but I enjoyed talking with everyone. I also wanted to thank @jude, @third_eye, @warrenpchi, and all of the other guys (whose usernames I can't recall at the moment) who worked their butts off to make this an extraordinary event. 

Bro, you rocked it, ROCKED IT!  
beerchug.gif

Speaking of, Warren, how long does that contest last?  

Hmm, lemme get back to you on that.  
smile.gif

Originally Posted by prot /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Many thx for the impressions and the great pics. Looks like everyone is having a lot of fun ... wish we had something similar in the EU.

Originally Posted by abheer123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

What's up with London?

yes please, i would love it. i will be in london in june and this could be my first ever head fi meet :D

More than just a meet, a full-fledged CanJam!  
eek.gif

Also, for those need another fix of CanJam... don't forget that there's CanJam @ RMAF (Rocky Mountain Audio Fest) later in the year... to cover all the new gear that comes out in the Fall:

LOL, AWESOME!  
biggrin.gif

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #539 of 955

Yeah, I think Ether is a good upgrade from the HE-560 if you don't want to have to bother with modding.

You think modding the HE-560 gives about the same sound as the Ether? I wouldn't buy it in that case lol. I'll try my hand at it. Either Jerg's mods or if you're gonna release your modding details (read you were still worrking on it), I'd do that. 

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #540 of 955

I was there when you changed out the tubes, and really wondered whether the amp would be at its best knowing how long tubes take to bed in in most setups.

Yeah, totally.  The Sophia's stated out great and then instead of sounding better totally lost it.  It was one of those things we had to just do our best with.  Sub-optimal, but beats a stick in the eye. 
beerchug.gif

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back