CanJam Singapore 2023 Impressions Thread (March 25-26, 2023)
Mar 27, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #151 of 334
There was no EF600 in Canjam SG and it was a bit of a bummer as i was also very curious. Surprising, I’d assume it would have been easier to have test units in SG coming from China.
Oh man, that’s kind of unexpected honestly! Thank you for chiming in, I appreciate that!

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:23 AM Post #153 of 334
What has been the general impression of IEMs that are expensive, 2000 plus. I have listened to IEMs costing over 3000 dollars and was not impressed at all. And if given to me, I most likely wouldn't use them, because the sound was off and didn't like the high of a few of them. I preferred the better 800 to 1500 dollars IEMs. I think more thought was put into the sound than just add up the cost to be at a certain point.
After trying a lot of IEMs at Canjam SG too, I came to the same conclusion. I can imagine if I had listened to things like Elysian Annihilator 3-4 years ago, I would agree on the pricing, but the market has moved so quickly now, I find it hard to justify that price. Same goes with Subtonic Storm and others.

I think I can make an exception for the 64audio stuffs, because of the fact that they are professional tools, so you also count in the durability, warranty, and potential servicing in the future. But that also means that unless I actually am making money from the IEM (e.g. professional musician/mixer), I don't think I'll be getting it myself.

Mar 27, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #154 of 334
TG335 og is dark blue but there are 2 variants for HK market (orange and violet)
tg335image-2_5000x.jpg
2000x.webp
1679903105939.png

The new MH335HT demo model looks black with red plate

11991352.png
11991350.png

11991351.png

Mar 27, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #155 of 334
I'm pretty sure they had something approximating that as part of the breakfast buffet at the Bonaventure hotel in LA once when I was there.
They had it pre-covid, but they have since eliminated it from the Westin Bonaventure buffet. It's very common in Asia to have a Congee or Jook bar.

Mar 27, 2023 at 5:31 AM Post #156 of 334
TG335 og is dark blue but there are 2 variants for HK market (orange and violet)
tg335image-2_5000x.jpg
2000x.webp
1679903105939.png

The new MH335HT demo model looks black with red plate

11991352.png
11991350.png

11991351.png
The one I tried in Jaben’s booth is the top one so I presume it’s the OG. What does the new one bring to the table?

Mar 27, 2023 at 5:45 AM Post #157 of 334
Unreleased tri-brid by Hyla. Very impressive. It uses PWaudio 1960s 2w Hyla tuned as the stock cable. Specs I won't share since it is not final.
PXL_20230325_091038341.MP.jpg
PXL_20230325_091029785.jpg
Any info about driver design and product name?

Oops! Did I miss that? Or it was not in the auditioning item list (yet).. hmm anyway when I visit Jaben will check it out as well.. was not aware about it 😄
Take a look here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fit...ustom-iem-made-universal.597146/post-17413309

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:07 AM Post #158 of 334
I don't even know him, but i feel cheated anyway :k701smile:

🤣 He's the one all the way on the right in @HiFiHawaii808's Watercoolers pic:

a.k.a. Amplify here on Head-Fi.

They had it pre-covid, but they have since eliminated it from the Westin Bonaventure buffet. It's very common in Asia to have a Congee or Jook bar.

Awww, well that's okay, I can always DoorDash that here at home. But at least one day out of every Sg trip, I'll feel like some Congee instead a standard American breakfast. :yum:

Mar 27, 2023 at 6:12 AM Post #159 of 334
Here are my quick impressions. Forgive my as I tend to follow my wallet 1st (set a budget), before I listen to an item. For this event, my ceiling is US$1.5K - so no TOTL items to be seen in this post.

DAY 1
DAP used: AK SE180 with SEM1 Module

Effect Audio Ares S 8W and Cadmus 8W

Intending to pair it with my EE ESR MK2 - the Ares S 8W even beefs up the ESRs tonality, suprisingly pushed the mids a bit more forward, fair bit of extension on the highs, tighter bass. For the Cadmus 8W - even extended the highs of the ESR MK2 but made the mids lacking. Both are easily as pliable as their 4 wire counterparts. Excellent build quality.

Effect Audio Code 23

Surprisingly very pliable for a 16.5AWG, solid core cable. Tried it with the ESR MK2, improvement on every level (was thinking of ESR MK2 on steroids. Excellent build quality.

Effect Audio Gaea

1st time trying out Elysian "based" product. Very engaging (me likey), mids are silky smooth.

CA Andromeda "Emerald Sea"

Is it just me or does it really sound thick? There's something about it's treble as well that I can't really point out. Sounds off to me. I hate flat cables as well.

Sennheiser HD 660S2

(with C9 on Tube Mode, High gain) Hhhhmmmm....I'll stick with my 600 and 650s...maybe it's just the show environment but I can't hear much improvement over my 600/650. I might need to revisit again but this time in a more quiet environment.

Elysian Diva 2023

I almost ordered this one. Extended highs are a delight.

FiiO M15S

As I mentioned earlier in this thread, sounded a more refined M11 Plus ESS - but it also sounded too dry, sterile for me as well. I love the volume pot. Snappy.

64 Audio U4s

Not my cup of tea. Don't know why but with the genres I was trying it with, it just doesn't sound engaging - too clean/dry sounding for me.

DAY 2
DAP used: Hiby RS2

Inear Black Moon

Interesting - it was marketed as a gaming IEM, but sounded dang good. Staging and separation is impressive. The glowing shell (to me) is a gimmick.

Inear ProMission X (an outlier as I was asked to listen to it 1st, then later on learned of it's pricing)

Detail monster.

FiR Audio NE4 (another outlier as I didn't specify my buget but only asked the cheapest FiR Audio IEM)

I liked it. Full sounding, engaging...until I learned of it's pricing

Dunu SA6

Very detailed, full of treble, may be too fatiguing for me in long listening sessions.

Dunu EST 112

They sounded about the same presentation as my Variations (But the Variations edges on separation and detail)

QDC Dmagic 3D

Definitely needs an amp, I felt it can give a lot more than what the limpy amp section of the RS2 has to offer. May need to revisit.

QDC Folk

Super surprised of it's asking price. I thought it was priced slightly about the 3D. Engaging, more refined mids (than the 3D).

Stax D10 and SR-003MK2 (D1003 system)

Was long eyeing this system - curious about Stax in general - but the on canal type annoyed me immediately, it simply doesn't stay put on my ear (opening). I didn't even bother to really "listen" to it. It was just ok - the annoying part is enough to cross it off my list.
Inear Black Moon and QDC Folk looks interesting as the new Hyla trihybrid.
Is Folk bassier than Dmagic 3D?
i had latter and i agree 3D needs an amp to shine, i used it with C9 when i had both.

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:25 AM Post #163 of 334
Unless they made red and pink versions of each prototype at the outset.
I spoke with VE in Cologne personally. I was told that the two prototypes are rather mid-fi and that the real flagship has not been presented yet. This should be rather soon with release probably in late year. The two prototypes are to be released earlier.

Mar 27, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #164 of 334
any impression on the Mass Kobo headphone amplifier?
Managed to try all 3 amplifiers with the headphones they provided. I also tried the portable amp 475 with my own blessing 2s. If they weren’t so expensive, I might have bought one already, it’s such a clean and amazing amplifier, which makes it incredibly hard to go back to my own set up

Users who are viewing this thread

Back