CanJam Singapore 2019 Impressions Thread
Apr 3, 2019 at 1:57 AM Post #106 of 211
Your post made so much sense.

My instructions were:
-flaps out
-put headband on
-flaps in until they just touch the ears

No mention of the reinforcing strap at the back of the head, so that's one, and I didn't check for the imaging while adjusting the flaps. Just turned up the volume once I thought the fit was ok. Will definitely need another session with them bcos a pal said sound-wise they're comparable to SR009.

Ditto about the Diana Phi, didn't have the time to try them out with a desktop system (a fella was enjoying TC next to me).

Thanks for the insight, much appreciated!

SLT might have omitted the back strap for Canjam SJ because it does make putting them on a bit more time-consuming. See below for where that strap is - it goes on the extra metal nub at the back. I also can't keep it on very well without the strap.

22.jpg

The wearing process makes a lot more sense if you're familiar with something like the K1000 or Mysphere 3. That's something I mentioned to Danny and Alex after a couple people tried my pair, it's kind of optimistic to assume that people know how to adjust them just by looking.

As for being "comparable" with the 009 - I've heard the 009 on many summit-fi systems, and I've had the 009 and Voce side by side with the SR1a's, running off my own Nagra DAC, and my personal view is that if you use a $4,000 speaker amp with the SR1a they are vastly better than the 009. Something like a Simaudio 600i with these will outclass the Shangri-La Sr. on just about every technical aspect - faster, better controlled, better bass extension, more resolving, with a much larger soundstage. The SLT demo was running them off a portable DAP which might also have impacted the overall performance of the system - they had some issues with the Yggy apparently.

And these things will scale up the speaker amp ladder far beyond regular cans. I thought that I essentially maxed out the 1266 phi's potential with the Classic INT. But the SR1a's don't seem to ever hit that diminishing part of the curve. Going all the way from $900 class D's to Spectral Monoblocks or $80k uber-amps with 60 watts of 300b power, and they somehow keep getting better. If there's a price point where they stop reflecting how good your system is, I've yet to hear it.

Anyways, just my 2 cents :) If you get a chance, definitely give them another spin - preferably in a quiet place!

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 5:05 AM Post #107 of 211
I would like to share my impressions from Canjam Singapore 2019, especially those IEMs and Headphones that were truly impressive to me. Unfortunately didn't try the Kumitate Focus due to long queue and forgot to test Hidition Violet as well. But I can visit Zeppelin in Singapore to try Hidition Violet. Friends said those are trully impressive IEMs.

IEMs:

Acoustune HS1690Ti. This single driver IEM blown me away. Simply perfect sound to my ears. Balanced tuning with very wide frequency extension, life-like dynamic, with impressive resolution. It sounds better than my AK-T8ie Mk II. Truly a gold standard 5 stars IEM!

20190330_183248_tn.jpg

20190330_183318_tn.jpg

20190330_183721_tn.jpg

DUNU DK-4001.
Impressive sound quality with a more all-rounder tuning than all my DUNUs (DN-1000, DN-2000, DN-2000J, DK-3001). I would say it is an improvement over the DK-3001 that already sounds really good to me ears. My impressions from around 15 mins listening was it is less bright than DK-3001, just slightly, and to my ears tuning is perfect. Vocal sounds fuller while retaining all the impressive dynamic and resolution. Coherency between driver is really good, sounds like a single driver. Definitely a 5 stars IEM.

InEar ProPhile 8, both flat and V shape tuning. Met Andreas, and had good chat with him. Nice guy! I like both PP8 tuning, but from the two tuning, I prefer the flat. Really good tuning, sounds very balanced to my ears with really good stereo holography and coherency within the drivers. 5 stars IEM as well.

Fiio FA7 and FH5. Both are really good. Good balanced tuning and excellent detail and clarity. Both also have really good stereo holography, sounds spacious with good imaging. Value wise, those 2 are probably the best. 5 stars IEM in my book.

FLC DD71. Smooth balanced sound less bright with more bass than DD21. Bass mild to moderately emphasized. The stock tuning is mildly V shape, emphasized on low mids and bass. Overall smooth pleasing, good bass with smooth extended treble. I didn't test other tuning with DD71, it sounds pretty good to my ears, but when comparing the stock tuning, I would probably take the Fiio FH5 or FA7.

Shanling ME500. It was the first time I heard Shanling IEM, and it surprisingly good and well tuned. Balanced tuning with good bass, smooth mids and highs. Pleasant sounding with good resolution and clarity. I probably tested only for about 10-15 mins, and it left me a very good impression.

Headphone:

RAAL SR1a. Simply the best headphone I tried in Canjam. I didn't try many headphones, didn't have enough time, but SR1a obviously one of the best sounding. It was surprisingly able to mimic near field speakers pretty well. So yea, it does sound like listening to a pair of good monitor in close distance. It sounds very balanced and natural, no emphasize to any of the frequency region. Mids is awesome, natural and full sounding. Treble is smooth and extended, and bass is surprisingly good from and open ear speaker. I tested the bass, it has good body and punch sounds like bass from a very good near field monitor. Sub bass around 20-40 Hz is a bit lacking, but it is expected, and similar to regular near field speakers that usually only good to up to around 50Hz. But I don't feel bass is lacking, the bass is good, and the overall experience is really impressive! I would say sound engineers should try this SR1a as an alternative to near field monitors, especially for portability. The downside is it has to be powered using speaker amplifier. But these days we have small size speaker amplifiers that is small enough for traveling. Really impressive and unique headphones!

20190330_171408_tn.jpg

20190330_171422_tn.jpg 20190330_171612_tn.jpg

Prototype of Planar Magnetic Headphone from Kennerton. Tried some Kennerton planar headphones, including a prototype that they don't have a name yet, and it sounds most balanced in tuning to my ears, and also among the lightest planar headphone. It sounds close to the first generation Odin (not Thridi), lighter and expected to be cheaper. Looking forward to it.

20190330_164152_tn.jpg

Warwick Acoustics the Sonoma Model One (M1). Very pleasing sounding electrostatic system, listen many songs with it, truly an enjoyable experience.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 7:32 AM Post #108 of 211
As always, CanJam SG was awesome and the vibe was wholly positive and buzzing. There were so many highlights, it would be impossible for me to mention them all and for many, I was so wrapped up in the moment I totally forgot to take notes and photos.

My first stop was at the Effect Audio booth to check out their new pure silver Cleopatra. As expected it was gorgeous and sounded great. My initial impressions were of the expansive soundstage and pinpoint imaging.

EA Cleopatra.jpg

EA Cleopatra2.jpg

Like I've come to expect, the INEAR booth was a blast. Very enjoyable vibe with some awesome IEMs. The soundstage and tonal accuracy on the INEAR monitors never cease to impress.

INEAR.jpg
INEAR2.jpg

The HUM MA-1B Class A balanced portable amp was an unexpectedly tasty treat.

HUM amp.jpg

I have to admit I suspected the UFOEAR might be just a gimmick but as soon as the music started playing I knew this was a legit good earphone. Not only that but for anyone else like me who has trouble finding eartips that are large enough the large UFOEAR tips are an absolute godsend. David from UFOEAR was kind enough to give me a set of the large ones and from that point on they were my goto for everything else I tested throughout the show.

UFOEAR.jpg

Being a proud owner of a Topping DX7 I was stoked to see the upcoming DX7 Pro. Not only does it have a superior DAC, but it is also has a smaller footprint, Bluetooth 5.0 and will have LDAC!! Cannot wait for this one!

Topping DX7 Pro.jpg

It's no secret that I'm a huge Chi-Fi fan so I was delighted to find out that the FAN Acoustics IEMs offer excellent sound and value. Expect to see a lot more from these guys in the future because their IEMs are very, very good.

FAN Audio.jpg

While picking up my custom FIBAE Black from Piotr of The Custom Art I also had a chance to check out the new FIBAE 4. I was expecting something more V-shaped but to my ears, the F4 is big and bold across the board. It has an enhanced, punchy bass, a forward treble that still has that trademark CA smoothness plus a midrange that was forward and full of detail and richness.

Custom Art.jpg

Another emerging Chi-Fi brand was HiFi Show. I had no previous knowledge of this brand but after listening to a couple of their IEMs I was excited to see and hear more of what they have on offer!

HIFI show.jpg

HIFI show2.jpg

The DUNU DK-3001 is still one of my favourite UIEMs but I'm very happy to say that the DK-4001 is even better. The treble is more linear and the sound signature is more balanced overall with an increase in resolution, detail and perhaps most importantly, comfort. DUNU has been listening to user and reviewer feedback and they have made considerable efforts to address the criticisms that came with the DK-3001. Expect to see more great IEMs from these guys in the future. Oh, and in case you didn't know yet. the DUNU modular plug system is fire!

DUNU DK-4001.jpg

I'm already missing CJ and looking forward to the next one!

CK2019.jpg

Apr 3, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #109 of 211
Waiting for this to “white horse” version of acoustune 1650cu to be made available in SG

Initial impression (vs 1650cu). Better highs extension, and clarity. Give it’s a show environment, it’s hard to do a exact listening comparison. But I can say it’s very promising for those who own or have been waiting to get 1650cu :)

Thank you for visiting us and for the initial impressions @jasonho - the demos of the two upcoming models are at Zeppelin & Co until Friday this week. They will depart on Saturday early morning for a road tour in Indonesia before heading back to Japan.

Apr 3, 2019 at 9:01 AM Post #110 of 211
Thank you @earfonia for visiting and for sharing your impressions and photos of the Acoustune HS1690Ti

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #111 of 211
We didn't have babes at the NYC Canjam!

Apr 3, 2019 at 1:01 PM Post #112 of 211
Spent my whole first hour at Canjam SG with the Final B-series, here are my impressions!
(more photos and canjam/audio content: https://shoewave.tumblr.com)

Final’s New B-series: Impressions
tumblr_inline_ppdlxx6wXM1wbqait_500.jpg

Often synonymous with ‘niche’, Final Audio’s latest offerings have been anything but. Hot on the heels of their extremely well-received E4000 and E5000, they’ve unveiled the latest in their lineup: the B series. The multi-driver designs mark a promising new direction for the constantly innovating Japanese company, but will it keep their streak going? After a session with them at Canjam Singapore 2019, here are some first impressions.

Overview

Echoing Final’s existing MAKE series in both naming and design language, the new B1, B2, and B3 come in solid, stainless steel housings. Gold for the B1, grey for the B2, and silver for the B3 - a colour scheme that also reveals their actual price brackets. Despite the numbering, the B2 is the cheapest (est. USD200), with the B3 being the midrange model (est. USD500) and the B1 at the top (est. USD600). Do note that these prices are just estimates, and not…ahem…final. Anyways, the pricing is no surprise once you learn what’s inside:
  • B1 - 1 Balanced Armature + 1 Dynamic Driver
  • B2 - 1 Balanced Armature
  • B3 - 2 Balanced Armature
What is surprising is that Final’s offering a multi-driver setup at all. Their philosophy for the longest time has been that splitting frequencies across multiple drivers introduces an unnatural sound. Unlike most companies which have been adding drivers up to the double-digits, Final has been pushing the boundaries with single-driver IEMs. This has resulted in some stunning earphones, from their legendary FI-BA-SS series (single BA) to their latest E-series (single dynamic). Though they’ve explored multi-drivers/hybrids before in their MAKE and Sonorous series, those were more niche offerings, and the B-series marks their first serious foray into multi-drivers for the general market.

tumblr_inline_ppdost6v5B1wbqait_500.jpg

Build, Comfort

Right off the bat these are impressive, all three models feel solidly built with clean surfaces, and the angled design clearly has Final’s signature blend of artisanal and industrial. The detachable cables are sturdy and supple enough, bending smoothly to fit over the ear. No complaints comfort wise, the housing sits easily in the outer ear thanks to the rounded inner surface, and despite the shallow insertion, isolates well enough even on the noisy Canjam showfloor.

Sound

Setup: Smartphone + Fiio A5 Amp, Lotoo PAW Gold Touch (on loan from the booth), Spotify 320kbps & FLAC files. Stock cables and tips.

All 3 are drivable off a phone, but I was close to maxing out the volume. I’d have loved to have the time (and budget) to try swapping out more of the audio chain, but with so much to see at Canjam I only had an hour at the Final table, split between listening to these and chatting with the reps. Definitely looking forward to a longer session, but for now these are my impressions on first brush.

B2: We start off with the sole single-driver member of the trio, which also sounded the most unique to my ears. The sound is clearly warm, and lower-mid forward, with some of the classic Final lushness. The bass decay bucks expectations however, being more drawn out than the usual speedy BA tightness. This together with a slightly hollow-sounding treble means this isn’t the clearest of IEMs. Resolution improves slightly with amplification and on the Lotoo, but highs still remain in the background. A musical, if less analytical sound. Compared to the Heaven II - the last single BA from Final prior to the B2 - there’s less left-right separation, and the highs are less sibilant. Overall presentation is intimate and dark, with the music close around you rather than airily stretching out as with the Heavens. Final’s clearly taking a different direction with the B series while still retaining their trademark uniqueness in sound signatures.

B3: With the addition of another BA the intimate presentation remains, but imaging improves noticeably, and there’s better extension in the highs and lows. The signature remains warm, but is more neutral than the B2.

B1: The hybrid model with its 6.4mm dynamic driver immediately offers more well-rounded sound than the other two. Bass decay sounds more natural, imaging is excellent, and highs have more sparkle as they emerge from under the warmth of the B2 and B3. Overall, as you might expect from the most expensive of the three, it ticks the boxes most would be looking out for, and capably handles a wider range of genres with its slight V-shape. It’s a signature that’s not quite traditional Final, but this series is all about exploration, and the execution remains solid.

tumblr_inline_ppe8u5snwp1wbqait_500.jpg

Conclusions

The B-series struck me as interesting, but experimental - I can’t help but wonder where in Final’s lineup it’s meant to sit. Unlike, say, the pursuit of ‘live’ sound with single-BA engineering in the Heaven series, or the budget performance of the E-series, I couldn’t quite tell where Final is headed with these. It’s ostensibly meant to be the grade above the E-series, but sonically, it’s an elusive animal I can’t quite place. As I shared this with the rep, Kyo, he laughed and agreed wholeheartedly.

As it turns out, even Final doesn’t know for sure where it’s headed, and it’s intentional - a reflection of their changing philosophy. Kyo points to the naming of the B1, 2 and 3 - the decoupling of model numbers and pricing was a conscious choice, meant to break that conventional stifling mold where they can only add bigger numbers and more drivers. On a deeper level too, Final’s design approach is changing. Their CEO has recognised the need for future-proofing, that he can’t be Final’s sole tuner and designer forever like he’s been doing with the Heavens I’ve been bringing up and other past series. Final isn’t simply on a hot streak here, they’re looking at the long game. As a result, they’ve been shifting toward a scientific, psychological research-based tuning approach which you can read more about here. Having seen the success of this approach in their E-series especially with the general market, they’ve now carried that over to their B-series. Between their research-based approach and this being their first few forays into multi-driver setups, it certainly explains the unique signature this new trio has, and the open-endedness of their place in the lineup. Final’s looking for feedback, to gauge preferences and take it back to the drawing board as they tune future iterations.

This is a Final that’s in flux - from a house sound largely based around an individual’s tuning ideals, to a company now turning more towards research and their listeners. Final’s taking that same convention-defying, innovative spirit it’s always had since their FI-BA-SS and Piano Forte days, and bringing it in new directions. Inwards, as they explore new grounds they once avoided, and outwards, as they reach toward getting to know everyday listener. Maybe I’m waxing lyrical a bit too much, but it’s undeniably a very exciting time for Final. Come year-end, Kyo says, we can expect a brick-and-mortar Final shop in Akihabara (!). The space will be used to hold events like their MAKE workshops, but also to simply let them to get to know their customers and let that interaction shape their future models. On that note, hints were also dropped about a new (A?) series which may or may not have a massive 10mm dynamic driver, and another new model maybe next spring, but after that the reps clammed up, so we’ll just have to wait and see. Overall, while the B-series didn’t quite rock my socks off, it was an interesting glimpse of what’s in store. Even as Final evolves, it never stops being full of surprises. “Anything can happen,” Kyo laughs, and I can’t help but agree and wait in anticipation.

-shoewave

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #117 of 211
Then the brass one will be more expensive and sounds much better?
Slightly more expensive ($400), but it includes also the Dignis case that costs $200, it sounds slightly different based on Andykong feedback, he still prefer the SS version, i think it's similar to the AK SP1000 in SS or CU, different flavors for different palates/ears.

Aesthetically i really like the black version, it emphasizes the gold accents but i didn’t have the opportunity to try it yet.

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:02 PM Post #118 of 211
What a beautiful headphone. I felt inferior just holding it.

That's hilarious :ksc75smile:

But yeah, Empyreans do leave an impression of a magical peacock doing its thing in the middle of an enchanted lake:ksc75smile:

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 3, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #120 of 211
That's hilarious :ksc75smile:

But yeah, Empyreans do leave an impression of a magical peacock doing its thing in the middle of an enchanted lake:ksc75smile:
That's not bad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back