CanJam Singapore 2019 Impressions Thread
Apr 5, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #136 of 211
Apr 5, 2019 at 3:27 PM Post #138 of 211
I thought i read it on the N8 thread, but i went back to check Andy post and i couldn't find it anywhere, i'll keep looking for that post on different threads.

I believe the post you are looking for is in Nic’s thread.

Apr 5, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #141 of 211
Apr 6, 2019 at 4:50 AM Post #142 of 211
So... the Sony DMP-Z1 apparently was now demonstrated there ?

Apr 6, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #143 of 211
The final drop of the week features one of the breakout stars of CanJam Singapore 2019 for me: FiR Audio! :D

FiR Audio

Music Sanctuary’s most buzz-worthy exhibitor was undoubtedly Bogdan Belonozhko’s FiR Audio. The former 64 Audio head established the company just last year with an acclaimed series of in-ear-monitor-related accessories, including wax vacuums, cable testers and their own line of aftermarket cables. At CanJam Singapore 2019, they made a massive leap and debuted their very own line of four custom in-ear monitors featuring a plethora of in-house technologies.

CJSG2019-FIR-1.jpg

The first of which are fully-tubeless designs. All of FiR Audio’s IEMs feature free-firing drivers that use their shells as a resonance chamber of sorts. In order to control the variances that custom shells will bring, FiR Audio have devised foam-like damping material to control the shell’s acoustics. Secondly, they’ve introduced atom (Air-Transferring Open Module). This module will be installed internally in FiR Audio’s IEMs. And, an optional accessory called the atom-XL will be offered that’s compatible with ADEL and apex ports. Bogdan notes the similarities between the three technologies as controlled air leaks, but stress that atom achieves it via different means, and has also achieved a tolerance of 0.5dB either way.

iem_technology.jpg
Image courtesy of FiR Audio

The very last feature they’ve introduced is FiR Audio’s very own proprietary connector system called FiRCON. FiRCON was devised by Bogdan as a robust connection standard ideal for the heavy-duty-use of the pro market. The aim of FiRCON is to provide a rigid connection whilst retaining ease-of-use. To me, it bears slight resemblances to Ultimate Ears’ IPX system more than it does the MMCX. FiRCON does not spin freely. I look forward to further experimentation with the FiRCON standard to see whether or not it does indeed supersede the 2-pin and IPX systems I’ve grown accustomed to.

NOTE: I was told that the demo units at the show don’t currently have finalised tunings. There are still tweaks to be made prior to release. So, please take the impressions below with a grain of salt.

FiR Audio M2: The M2 is the first of FiR Audio’s tubeless in-ear monitors, sporting two balanced-armatures per side. It’s also where the technology’s effects are most prevalent. In terms of spatial performance, the M2 is perhaps the best two-driver performer I’ve ever heard. The tubeless design creates a background that uniquely blends into your headspace. So, instead of being tethered to a background, the M2’s instruments seemingly float in thin air. This creates a stunningly corporeal presentation with dynamic range, eery realism and outstanding imaging. Listening to tracks with elements panned around you like Snarky Puppy’s Chonks feels like listening to a binaural recording; truly unique to say the least.

The M2 possesses a natural tonal balance with a smooth, relaxed top-end. It’s a warm, pleasing and forgiving monitor with none of the hallmarks of one. With a laid-back treble, one would usually expect thicker notes bound by wisps of warm air throughout the stage. The M2’s tubeless design defies that stereotype. Instead, instruments are full-bodied, dense and resolved, but surgically separated as well. It’s truly the epitome of best of both worlds; no muffle, no veil. The midrange is free-sounding with bounds of headroom. The low-end is a hair beyond neutral. Taken together with the holographic imaging, what you have with the M2 is a musical and versatile in-ear monitor that won’t ever fatigue. With Custom Art’s FIBAE Black, it’s tied at first place for price-for-performance out of any IEM I’ve ever laid my hands on.

CJSG2019-FIR-4 copy.jpg

FiR Audio M3: The M3 is the first of FiR Audio’s three hybrid monitors. In addition to the two balanced-armatures is a dynamic driver in yet another tubeless design. Contrasting the M2’s more laid-back, even-handed signature, the M3 is an energetic, fun-sounding monitor built upon that dynamic low-end. It’s full-bodied and impactful, but it doesn’t intrude on the cleanliness of the stage. Whether by a swift decay or the tubeless design’s airiness (or some combination of both), the low-end maintains excellent composure despite its liveliness. Counterbalancing that is a crisp, articulate treble with heaps of clarity and detail. It’s an airy top-end with lots of cut, but it’s refined, smooth and inoffensive at the same time.

Midrange timbre is perhaps where some may take issue with the M3. At first listen, there’s a bit of a hollowness to it that may take some getting used to. It’s perhaps due to a withdrawn upper-midrange between 3-4kHz. But, it isn’t a prevalent issue once you accustom yourself to the it. Spatial performance is stunning once again. The M3’s soundstage is three-dimensional with a vanishing background, heaps of headroom and strong stereo separation too. The tubeless design’s effects are a bit less prevalent here than they are on the M2. This is because of the M3’s more energetic signature. The instruments here are livelier, so they eat up more of that headroom. The stage is vast and airy, but occupied to a greater degree. Nevertheless, it’s a marvellous achievement for a triple-driver monitor and another strong entry in the line-up.

CJSG2019-FIR-2 copy.jpg

FiR Audio M4: FiR Audio’s M4 is the most vocal-focused of the bunch to my ears. Instruments are built upon a strong, chesty foundation along the lower- and centre-mids, resulting in vocal performances with weight, heft and impact. I feel the low-end is relatively more subdued on the M4, so the majority of its oomph stems from that full-bodied, textured lower-midrange. Male and female vocals alike carry a hearty, bellowing timbre to them that’ll resonate more with those who prefer a more euphonic presentation, rather than those who prefer their vocals sweet, light and laid-back. Paired with that is the M4’s airy, articulate and zingy top-end that complements this body with cut, cleanliness and clarity.

Personally, I would’ve preferred a slightly smoother top-end response to push those vocals further towards organic territory. As they are, they’re gorgeously chesty. But, throatier crooners like Brian McFadden or Rod Stewart may find their drier harmonics a hair emphasised on the M4. However, the top-end never does come across dry, harsh or sterile, so it’s a matter of preference, rather than any fault of the M4. Perhaps, I am partial to the M2’s tone. To me, the M4 shines best with simpler acoustic arrangements. Although it’s able to impressively keep up with speedier tracks despite its lower-midrange content, I think the texture and gravitas of the M4 is most displayed with slower genres. Again, stability, speed and imaging precision are very impressive, granting the M4 its richness with the headroom to match.

CJSG2019-FIR-3 copy.jpg

FiR Audio M5: The flagship M5 is FiR Audio’s entry into the growing trybrid (triple hybrid) space. Sporting electrostats, balanced-armatures and dynamic drivers in a fully tubeless design, the M5 truly represents the pinnacle of FiR Audio’s spatial efforts. Like the monitors previous, the M5 possesses a unique quality where notes seemingly float in thin air, untethered to a background. That effect is further exacerbated on FiR Audio’s flagship, as the electrostat brings an additional sense of depth to the top-end. Transients possess even greater headroom, which further bolsters dynamic range. The stage is outstandingly clean and expansive. Above the other three models, the M5 excels at displaying height in particular. There’s simply more room to play on the M5, resulting in an outstanding sense of effortlessness and air.

Detail retrieval is a particular strong suit of the M5. The speed with which it doles them out – along with the vanishing background – results in excellent resolution and transparency. But thankfully, midrange presence and integrity have not been sacrificed in the process. The M5 possesses a solid, three-dimensional midrange with heft, texture and power. Vocalists project naturally with a strong sense of air and layering. This is especially impressive given how freely those instruments feel on the stage. The bass possesses a strong foundation and a natural timbre. Despite the neutrality in tone the M5 leans towards, those organic thumps bring a meatiness that comes across realistic and natural. In terms of tone, it isn’t perhaps the most unique I’ve ever heard from a flagship. But spatial and technical performance beyond compensate. It’s a well-balanced, bodied sig in one of the most vanishing, realistic stages I’ve ever heard, and I hope to hear more of it soon.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #145 of 211
Apr 7, 2019 at 1:23 PM Post #146 of 211
Enjoyed reading part 1, thanks for sharing and looking forward to part 2. I also liked the information about the local area and food.

Yup, we enjoyed it too and it's cool there's the 2nd available now.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 7, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #147 of 211
The final drop of the week features one of the breakout stars of CanJam Singapore 2019 for me: FiR Audio! :D

FiR Audio

Music Sanctuary’s most buzz-worthy exhibitor was undoubtedly Bogdan Belonozhko’s FiR Audio. The former 64 Audio head established the company just last year with an acclaimed series of in-ear-monitor-related accessories, including wax vacuums, cable testers and their own line of aftermarket cables. At CanJam Singapore 2019, they made a massive leap and debuted their very own line of four custom in-ear monitors featuring a plethora of in-house technologies.

The first of which are fully-tubeless designs. All of FiR Audio’s IEMs feature free-firing drivers that use their shells as a resonance chamber of sorts. In order to control the variances that custom shells will bring, FiR Audio have devised foam-like damping material to control the shell’s acoustics. Secondly, they’ve introduced atom (Air-Transferring Open Module). This module will be installed internally in FiR Audio’s IEMs. And, an optional accessory called the atom-XL will be offered that’s compatible with ADEL and apex ports. Bogdan notes the similarities between the three technologies as controlled air leaks, but stress that atom achieves it via different means, and has also achieved a tolerance of 0.5dB either way.

Image courtesy of FiR Audio

The very last feature they’ve introduced is FiR Audio’s very own proprietary connector system called FiRCON. FiRCON was devised by Bogdan as a robust connection standard ideal for the heavy-duty-use of the pro market. The aim of FiRCON is to provide a rigid connection whilst retaining ease-of-use. To me, it bears slight resemblances to Ultimate Ears’ IPX system more than it does the MMCX. FiRCON does not spin freely. I look forward to further experimentation with the FiRCON standard to see whether or not it does indeed supersede the 2-pin and IPX systems I’ve grown accustomed to.

NOTE: I was told that the demo units at the show don’t currently have finalised tunings. There are still tweaks to be made prior to release. So, please take the impressions below with a grain of salt.

FiR Audio M2: The M2 is the first of FiR Audio’s tubeless in-ear monitors, sporting two balanced-armatures per side. It’s also where the technology’s effects are most prevalent. In terms of spatial performance, the M2 is perhaps the best two-driver performer I’ve ever heard. The tubeless design creates a background that uniquely blends into your headspace. So, instead of being tethered to a background, the M2’s instruments seemingly float in thin air. This creates a stunningly corporeal presentation with dynamic range, eery realism and outstanding imaging. Listening to tracks with elements panned around you like Snarky Puppy’s Chonks feels like listening to a binaural recording; truly unique to say the least.

The M2 possesses a natural tonal balance with a smooth, relaxed top-end. It’s a warm, pleasing and forgiving monitor with none of the hallmarks of one. With a laid-back treble, one would usually expect thicker notes bound by wisps of warm air throughout the stage. The M2’s tubeless design defies that stereotype. Instead, instruments are full-bodied, dense and resolved, but surgically separated as well. It’s truly the epitome of best of both worlds; no muffle, no veil. The midrange is free-sounding with bounds of headroom. The low-end is a hair beyond neutral. Taken together with the holographic imaging, what you have with the M2 is a musical and versatile in-ear monitor that won’t ever fatigue. With Custom Art’s FIBAE Black, it’s tied at first place for price-for-performance out of any IEM I’ve ever laid my hands on.

FiR Audio M3: The M3 is the first of FiR Audio’s three hybrid monitors. In addition to the two balanced-armatures is a dynamic driver in yet another tubeless design. Contrasting the M2’s more laid-back, even-handed signature, the M3 is an energetic, fun-sounding monitor built upon that dynamic low-end. It’s full-bodied and impactful, but it doesn’t intrude on the cleanliness of the stage. Whether by a swift decay or the tubeless design’s airiness (or some combination of both), the low-end maintains excellent composure despite its liveliness. Counterbalancing that is a crisp, articulate treble with heaps of clarity and detail. It’s an airy top-end with lots of cut, but it’s refined, smooth and inoffensive at the same time.

Midrange timbre is perhaps where some may take issue with the M3. At first listen, there’s a bit of a hollowness to it that may take some getting used to. It’s perhaps due to a withdrawn upper-midrange between 3-4kHz. But, it isn’t a prevalent issue once you accustom yourself to the it. Spatial performance is stunning once again. The M3’s soundstage is three-dimensional with a vanishing background, heaps of headroom and strong stereo separation too. The tubeless design’s effects are a bit less prevalent here than they are on the M2. This is because of the M3’s more energetic signature. The instruments here are livelier, so they eat up more of that headroom. The stage is vast and airy, but occupied to a greater degree. Nevertheless, it’s a marvellous achievement for a triple-driver monitor and another strong entry in the line-up.

FiR Audio M4: FiR Audio’s M4 is the most vocal-focused of the bunch to my ears. Instruments are built upon a strong, chesty foundation along the lower- and centre-mids, resulting in vocal performances with weight, heft and impact. I feel the low-end is relatively more subdued on the M4, so the majority of its oomph stems from that full-bodied, textured lower-midrange. Male and female vocals alike carry a hearty, bellowing timbre to them that’ll resonate more with those who prefer a more euphonic presentation, rather than those who prefer their vocals sweet, light and laid-back. Paired with that is the M4’s airy, articulate and zingy top-end that complements this body with cut, cleanliness and clarity.

Personally, I would’ve preferred a slightly smoother top-end response to push those vocals further towards organic territory. As they are, they’re gorgeously chesty. But, throatier crooners like Brian McFadden or Rod Stewart may find their drier harmonics a hair emphasised on the M4. However, the top-end never does come across dry, harsh or sterile, so it’s a matter of preference, rather than any fault of the M4. Perhaps, I am partial to the M2’s tone. To me, the M4 shines best with simpler acoustic arrangements. Although it’s able to impressively keep up with speedier tracks despite its lower-midrange content, I think the texture and gravitas of the M4 is most displayed with slower genres. Again, stability, speed and imaging precision are very impressive, granting the M4 its richness with the headroom to match.

FiR Audio M5: The flagship M5 is FiR Audio’s entry into the growing trybrid (triple hybrid) space. Sporting electrostats, balanced-armatures and dynamic drivers in a fully tubeless design, the M5 truly represents the pinnacle of FiR Audio’s spatial efforts. Like the monitors previous, the M5 possesses a unique quality where notes seemingly float in thin air, untethered to a background. That effect is further exacerbated on FiR Audio’s flagship, as the electrostat brings an additional sense of depth to the top-end. Transients possess even greater headroom, which further bolsters dynamic range. The stage is outstandingly clean and expansive. Above the other three models, the M5 excels at displaying height in particular. There’s simply more room to play on the M5, resulting in an outstanding sense of effortlessness and air.

Detail retrieval is a particular strong suit of the M5. The speed with which it doles them out – along with the vanishing background – results in excellent resolution and transparency. But thankfully, midrange presence and integrity have not been sacrificed in the process. The M5 possesses a solid, three-dimensional midrange with heft, texture and power. Vocalists project naturally with a strong sense of air and layering. This is especially impressive given how freely those instruments feel on the stage. The bass possesses a strong foundation and a natural timbre. Despite the neutrality in tone the M5 leans towards, those organic thumps bring a meatiness that comes across realistic and natural. In terms of tone, it isn’t perhaps the most unique I’ve ever heard from a flagship. But spatial and technical performance beyond compensate. It’s a well-balanced, bodied sig in one of the most vanishing, realistic stages I’ve ever heard, and I hope to hear more of it soon.
Thanks for this. Your thoughts on the timbre of acoustic instruments in the midrange of the M5? Thanks!

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #148 of 211
Thanks for this. Your thoughts on the timbre of acoustic instruments in the midrange of the M5? Thanks!

No problem! In terms of timbre, that's really the unifying theme across the entire FiR Audio line-up (perhaps less so on the M2). There's an emphasis on the lower- and centre-mids over the upper-mids. I felt this was most evident on the M3, while it was more balanced (but still biased towards the lower registers) on the M4 and M5. As a result, you get that chesty, hearty, bellowing timbre I described in my impressions. Male singers sound very deep and gruff, while female vocalists lean towards heavy than light or sweet.

Personally, I really enjoy the house sound, because it makes vocals sound powerful and complete, even though some higher-pitched instruments may not sound completely accurate, like violins or flutes. The M5 in particular also has tighter, more compact instruments. So, the airiness around them is emphasised, which leads to a more holographic, effortless presentation. But, if you like your instruments more heady, light and thin, or vibrant, in-your-face and intimate, perhaps the FiR Audio house sound isn't for you. Then again, they are in still in the process of fine-tuning the IEMs in accordance with some of the feedback they received at the show. So, these impressions may not prove accurate in the coming weeks.

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #149 of 211
No problem! In terms of timbre, that's really the unifying theme across the entire FiR Audio line-up (perhaps less so on the M2). There's an emphasis on the lower- and centre-mids over the upper-mids. I felt this was most evident on the M3, while it was more balanced (but still biased towards the lower registers) on the M4 and M5. As a result, you get that chesty, hearty, bellowing timbre I described in my impressions. Male singers sound very deep and gruff, while female vocalists lean towards heavy than light or sweet.

Personally, I really enjoy the house sound, because it makes vocals sound powerful and complete, even though some higher-pitched instruments may not sound completely accurate, like violins or flutes. The M5 in particular also has tighter, more compact instruments. So, the airiness around them is emphasised, which leads to a more holographic, effortless presentation. But, if you like your instruments more heady, light and thin, or vibrant, in-your-face and intimate, perhaps the FiR Audio house sound isn't for you. Then again, they are in still in the process of fine-tuning the IEMs in accordance with some of the feedback they received at the show. So, these impressions may not prove accurate in the coming weeks.
Hi Daniel,
How is the Fir M3 compared to the Fibae 3?

Apr 7, 2019 at 2:44 PM Post #150 of 211

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back