CanJam NYC 2024 (March 9-10, 2024)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 17, 2024 at 4:37 AM Post #391 of 726
Noted, but still as a functional adult with a job and who frankly decided to buy another ticket to CanJam this year for particularly this reason, this was really poorly handled. Adults with tens-of-thousands of dollars to potentially spend on a HE-1 have jobs. If you announce an "event" at noon, we will not be in a position to be at home chasing a spot in that event by 5pm. :|
First come first served, what should they do?
Only option would be to charge for an audition Spot and how lame would that be.

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:25 PM Post #393 of 726
First come first served, what should they do?
Only option would be to charge for an audition Spot and how lame would that be.
At the risk of belaboring the point, announcing the sign-up at noon on a presumed workday and opening said sign-ups at 5pm on the dot that same day implies they think that the intended audience for this has lots of time to sit at home on weekdays reading audio forums all day. I suppose the fact that it 'sold out' instantaneously lends some credence to that, but I think they would have been better served announcing the date & time of sign-ups ahead of time and then having it be on a weekend, or at least in the evening NY time.

Sorry if I sound a little snappy, but finally hearing HE-1 is basically the only reason I decided to go again this year. I knew it wasn't guaranteed, but I didn't expect THIS janky a rollout.

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #394 of 726
At the risk of belaboring the point, announcing the sign-up at noon on a presumed workday and opening said sign-ups at 5pm on the dot that same day implies they think that the intended audience for this has lots of time to sit at home on weekdays reading audio forums all day. I suppose the fact that it 'sold out' instantaneously lends some credence to that, but I think they would have been better served announcing the date & time of sign-ups ahead of time and then having it be on a weekend, or at least in the evening NY time.

Sorry if I sound a little snappy, but finally hearing HE-1 is basically the only reason I decided to go again this year. I knew it wasn't guaranteed, but I didn't expect THIS janky a rollout.
There's no solution that works for everyone but I agree they should have announced when signups will open!

Feb 18, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #395 of 726

You should make a post here or on the watercooler if anyone is thinking about cancelling their booking to send you a DM. Several people, like me, gave up our booking to someone else who hasn't yet had an opportunity to hear the HE-1.

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #396 of 726
You should make a post here or on the watercooler if anyone is thinking about cancelling their booking to send you a DM. Several people, like me, gave up our booking to someone else who hasn't yet had an opportunity to hear the HE-1.
Thanks, that's good advice, I appreciate it. :)

Hazard of doing literally anything in NYC - there's always more people than capacity. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. :wink: I've been waiting nearly a month for House of Sound to even acknowledge my inquiry.....thinking that's just a no-go. :xf_rolleyes:

Feb 18, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #397 of 726
Thanks, that's good advice, I appreciate it. :)

Hazard of doing literally anything in NYC - there's always more people than capacity. You'd think I'd be used to it by now. :wink: I've been waiting nearly a month for House of Sound to even acknowledge my inquiry.....thinking that's just a no-go. :xf_rolleyes:
Do a follow up with House of Sound thats how I got a tour....

Feb 18, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #398 of 726
19 days.

Feb 18, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #399 of 726
Feb 19, 2024 at 5:16 AM Post #401 of 726
24NYCheaders_seminars.jpg

Come join us in the Ziegfeld room on the 4th floor (directly below the 6th floor Broadway Ballroom) of the New York Marriott Marquis for a series of interactive discussion panels with some of the industry’s leading experts in audio technology. Always entertaining, extremely engaging, and very informative, these seminars give you a behind the scenes look at the headphone audio industry like nothing else. Spaces are limited, so be sure to arrive early. See you there!

Saturday, March 9, 2024

It’s About Time - What New Measurements Reveal About Audio Quality
11:00a to Noon

xMEMS’ new class of transducers deliver the highest precision audio reproduction in the time domain, and this has now been proven via subjective and objective testing by HEAD Acoustics. xMEMS and HEAD Acoustics will present the results of this benchmark testing conducted upon products made with these new Piezo-MEMS µSpeakers utilizing MDAQS metrics. MDAQS algorithms are based on 6 years of cutting-edge research in human hearing and audio perception and validate the praises of golden ears from around the world about xMEMS µSpeakers, that traditional audio testing methods could not reveal.
SPEAKERS: Michael Ricci, Sr. Director of Electroacoustic Engineering, xMEMS Labs, Inc.; Jacob Soendergaard, HEAD Acoustics

Myths About Measurements
Noon to 1:00p

Objective measurements are everywhere in audio. Never before has so much data been so accessible so easily, but is that a good thing? Join our panel of experts to learn why measurements shouldn’t always be trusted, why we should always take measurements with a sizable grain of salt, why we should never treat them as absolutes, and how objective measurements are often quite subjective. Most importantly, learn about what’s being done to address these flaws, to achieve better clarity for us all moving forward.
SPEAKERS: Konstantin Davy (Oratory1990), Acoustic Engineer, USound GmbH; Blaine LaCross (Mad Economist); Cameron Oatley (GoldenSound)

Going Beyond "One Number to Rule Them” - Measurements in Perspective
2:00p to 3:00p

Schiit Audio's history with measurements includes being called “lazy, incompetent engineers,” buying not one but 11 audio analyzers, and then designing both spectacularly measuring gear and stuff that’s “downright scary bad.” Are we crazy? Or is it possible that a single, reductive number just can’t reflect actual listening levels, transient response, or the distortion of transducers. So how do we measure more, measure better, actually measure effectively, and then make that something meaningful to give us genuine perspectives on how things sound? Let’s find some answers.
SPEAKER: Jason Stoddard, Founder, Schiit Audio

Digital Isn’t
3:00p to 4:00p

Digital is digital, it's all ones and zeroes. Except that, no it isn't. Beyond the fundamentals of the digital-to-analogue conversion process, there are a host of additional factors that can dramatically affect the sound of your DAC — and consequently, what you will hear through your signal chain. Discover how power supplies, analogue devices and circuit design, galvanic isolation, digital cables and more can dictate your listening experience. But most importantly, learn how sometimes, digital isn’t.
SPEAKER: Rob Watts, Digital Design Consultant, Chord Electronics

Ear Pads As Critical Acoustical Devices
4:00p to 5:00p

Many Head-Fiers view ear pads as simple replacement parts and nothing more. And whilst they are undoubtedly consumables, ear pads are also coupling devices that form part of the complex acoustic chamber between your headphones and your ears. As such, their mechanical and material properties can dramatically affect what you hear. Join Tal Kocen, Co-Founder and COO at Dekoni Audio, to explore how ear pads can preserve — or even perfect — the sound signatures of your favorite headphones.
SPEAKER: Tal Kocen, Co-Founder and COO, Dekoni Audio

How To Start A Headphone Company
5:00p to 6:00p

Zach and Bevin Mehrbach's entry into the headphone industry was unconventional. They'll share their business journey, including anecdotes and images from their early days to the present, covering multiple measurement rig upgrades, various workspaces from apartments to basements, and the design of an 8000 SQ foot manufacturing facility. Come by for a fun time and bring questions!
SPEAKERS: Zach & Bevin Mehrbach, ZMF Headphones

Sunday, March 10, 2024

New Headphone Target Curves Defined on the B&K 5128: How Different Do They Sound and Which One is Most Preferred?

The release of the Brüel & Kjær 5128 HATS in 2018 ushered in a new standard in accurate measurements of headphones. Its introduction also meant that headphone target curves defined on the older standard were no longer valid when measured on the 5128. Since then, several different headphone target curves for the 5128 have been proposed, but most lack scientific validation based on controlled listening tests. This raises an important question: how different do they sound from one another, and which one is most preferred? My talk will give an overview of the various headphone target curves proposed, how they were derived, and some analysis of how different they sound from one another.
SPEAKER: Dr. Sean Olive, Senior Fellow, Acoustic Research, Harman International

A Novel Approach to Measure Headphone Transient Response

The Farina logarithmic sweep test method, in use since 2000, enables engineers designing electroacoustic products to obtain a device’s impulse response from a constant-amplitude sinusoidal sweep. Due to the non-transient nature of this stimulus, this impulse response may differ from a response generated when using a transient stimulus. This presentation discusses how one can characterize transient behavior of headphones using single-cycle tone bursts to augment measurements obtained through sine-based testing.
SPEAKER: Dan Foley, Do No Harm Music

Making Great Sound from Thin Air

What if we told you that the perfect membrane can be made from—air? Learn how we engineer solid-state AIR drivers using modulated ultrasound, delivering exceptional bass from compact speakers while reproducing highs flawlessly. Explore their current applications and the transformative potential they hold for the future of audio. Join us to unravel the magic of AIR drivers and their groundbreaking impact.
SPEAKER: Moti Margalit, CEO, SonicEdge Ltd.

Critical Listening: How to Judge

Many designers use listening tests to improve the design of their products. But since the provenance of recordings are unknown, how can one be sure that genuine improvements are being made so that real progress towards transparent reproduction is being achieved? It is very easy to think that an "improvement" is actually better when it's worse. Objectively assessing sound quality is key and this seminar will explain how. This will be followed by a Q&A session when you can ask any question about Digital audio.

Ask The Reviewers AMA @ CanJam New York 2024!

What was best-in-show at CanJam NYC 2024? Is there a "correct" sound signature, and what might that be? How much power do we actually need to truly drive our headphones? What is the best in-ear monitor or headphone, for my music, within my budget? You have questions, bring them all to our panel of expert reviewers as they answer them all live, and in real time!
SPEAKERS: Crinacle, DMS, Golden Sound, Resolve and ZEOS Pantera;
SPECIAL GUEST MODERATOR: Zach Mehrbach, ZMF Headphones

Feb 19, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #404 of 726

Many Head-Fiers view ear pads as simple replacement parts and nothing more. And whilst they are undoubtedly consumables, ear pads are also coupling devices that form part of the complex acoustic chamber between your headphones and your ears. As such, their mechanical and material properties can dramatically affect what you hear. Join Tal Kocen, Co-Founder and COO at Dekoni Audio, to explore how ear pads can preserve — or even perfect — the sound signatures of your favorite headphones.

We are extremely excited to talk about the science behind ear pads! Thanks for having us.

Dekoni Audio Stay updated on Dekoni Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Dekoni Audio @dekoniaudio http://www.dekoniaudio.com sales@dekoniaudio.com
Feb 19, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #405 of 726
24NYCheaders_seminars.jpg

Come join us in the Ziegfeld room on the 4th floor (directly below the 6th floor Broadway Ballroom) of the New York Marriott Marquis for a series of interactive discussion panels with some of the industry’s leading experts in audio technology. Always entertaining, extremely engaging, and very informative, these seminars give you a behind the scenes look at the headphone audio industry like nothing else. Spaces are limited, so be sure to arrive early. See you there!

Saturday, March 9, 2024

It’s About Time - What New Measurements Reveal About Audio Quality

xMEMS’ new class of transducers deliver the highest precision audio reproduction in the time domain, and this has now been proven via subjective and objective testing by HEAD Acoustics. xMEMS and HEAD Acoustics will present the results of this benchmark testing conducted upon products made with these new Piezo-MEMS µSpeakers utilizing MDAQS metrics. MDAQS algorithms are based on 6 years of cutting-edge research in human hearing and audio perception and validate the praises of golden ears from around the world about xMEMS µSpeakers, that traditional audio testing methods could not reveal.
SPEAKERS: Michael Ricci, Sr. Director of Electroacoustic Engineering, xMEMS Labs, Inc.; Jacob Soendergaard, HEAD Acoustics

Myths About Measurements

Objective measurements are everywhere in audio. Never before has so much data been so accessible so easily, but is that a good thing? Join our panel of experts to learn why measurements shouldn’t always be trusted, why we should always take measurements with a sizable grain of salt, why we should never treat them as absolutes, and how objective measurements are often quite subjective. Most importantly, learn about what’s being done to address these flaws, to achieve better clarity for us all moving forward.
SPEAKERS: Konstantin Davy (Oratory1990), Acoustic Engineer, USound GmbH; Blaine LaCross (Mad Economist); Cameron Oatley (GoldenSound)

Going Beyond "One Number to Rule Them” - Measurements in Perspective

Schiit Audio's history with measurements includes being called “lazy, incompetent engineers,” buying not one but 11 audio analyzers, and then designing both spectacularly measuring gear and stuff that’s “downright scary bad.” Are we crazy? Or is it possible that a single, reductive number just can’t reflect actual listening levels, transient response, or the distortion of transducers. So how do we measure more, measure better, actually measure effectively, and then make that something meaningful to give us genuine perspectives on how things sound? Let’s find some answers.
SPEAKER: Jason Stoddard, Founder, Schiit Audio

Digital Isn’t

Digital is digital, it's all ones and zeroes. Except that, no it isn't. Beyond the fundamentals of the digital-to-analogue conversion process, there are a host of additional factors that can dramatically affect the sound of your DAC — and consequently, what you will hear through your signal chain. Discover how power supplies, analogue devices and circuit design, galvanic isolation, digital cables and more can dictate your listening experience. But most importantly, learn how sometimes, digital isn’t.

How To Start A Headphone Company
5:00p to 6:00p

Zach and Bevin Mehrbach's entry into the headphone industry was unconventional. They'll share their business journey, including anecdotes and images from their early days to the present, covering multiple measurement rig upgrades, various workspaces from apartments to basements, and the design of an 8000 SQ foot manufacturing facility. Come by for a fun time and bring questions!
SPEAKERS: Zach & Bevin Mehrbach, ZMF Headphones

Sunday, March 10, 2024

New Headphone Target Curves Defined on the B&K 5128: How Different Do They Sound and Which One is Most Preferred?

The release of the Brüel & Kjær 5128 HATS in 2018 ushered in a new standard in accurate measurements of headphones. Its introduction also meant that headphone target curves defined on the older standard were no longer valid when measured on the 5128. Since then, several different headphone target curves for the 5128 have been proposed, but most lack scientific validation based on controlled listening tests. This raises an important question: how different do they sound from one another, and which one is most preferred? My talk will give an overview of the various headphone target curves proposed, how they were derived, and some analysis of how different they sound from one another.
SPEAKER: Dr. Sean Olive, Senior Fellow, Acoustic Research, Harman International

A Novel Approach to Measure Headphone Transient Response

The Farina logarithmic sweep test method, in use since 2000, enables engineers designing electroacoustic products to obtain a device’s impulse response from a constant-amplitude sinusoidal sweep. Due to the non-transient nature of this stimulus, this impulse response may differ from a response generated when using a transient stimulus. This presentation discusses how one can characterize transient behavior of headphones using single-cycle tone bursts to augment measurements obtained through sine-based testing.
SPEAKER: Dan Foley, Do No Harm Music

Making Great Sound from Thin Air

What if we told you that the perfect membrane can be made from—air? Learn how we engineer solid-state AIR drivers using modulated ultrasound, delivering exceptional bass from compact speakers while reproducing highs flawlessly. Explore their current applications and the transformative potential they hold for the future of audio. Join us to unravel the magic of AIR drivers and their groundbreaking impact.
SPEAKER: Moti Margalit, CEO, SonicEdge Ltd.

Critical Listening: How to Judge

Many designers use listening tests to improve the design of their products. But since the provenance of recordings are unknown, how can one be sure that genuine improvements are being made so that real progress towards transparent reproduction is being achieved. It is very easy to think that an "improvement" is actually better when it's worse. Objectively assessing sound quality is key and this seminar will explain how. This will be followed by a Q&A session when you can ask any question about Digital audio.

Ask The Reviewers AMA @ CanJam New York 2024!

What was best-in-show at CanJam NYC 2024? Is there a "correct" sound signature, and what might that be? How much power do we actually need to truly drive our headphones? What is the best in-ear monitor or headphone, for my music, within my budget? You have questions, bring them all to our panel of expert reviewers as they answer them all live, and in real time!
SPEAKERS: Crinacle, DMS, Golden Sound, Resolve and ZEOS Pantera;
SPECIAL GUEST MODERATOR: Zach Mehrbach, ZMF Headphones
will there be an he1 and aperio this year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back