CanJam NYC 2023 (February 25-26, 2023)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 24, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #286 of 792
No show by Sony again?

Jan 24, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #287 of 792
No show by Sony again?
It's been a while since the team at Sony joined us at a show in North America, but you can usually find their gear at one or two CanJam exhibits. The Source AV had the new Sony players at CanJam SoCal 2022 and there are a few authorized Sony dealers attending CanJam NYC 2023. Off the top of my head I know both Audio46 and Woo Audio carry Sony products; both will be in attendance. You might find Sony gear at their exhibits this year.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #288 of 792
Hope to see plenty of you guys there!

If you're on the fence about going: DO IT. Seriously Canjams are a huge amount of fun and you will be incredibly happy you did go.

A few tips for people if it's your first CanJam/Audio Event:

- Make a shortlist
Take a look at the website/exhibitors list and make a shortlist of everything you want to try. There usually won't be enough time to properly demo everything so make sure you get the stuff you really want to hear in first. Also a good plan to take a quick walk around to see what's there when you arrive in case there is something you spot that you didn't see on the website.

- There are usually good discounts at the show
Lots of companies run show-specials so if you are thinking of making a purchase in the near future, might be good to try to get cash together before the show as you will often be able to get stuff cheaper than usual if you buy at the show.

- Bring some of your own music on a phone or DAP
It's not uncommon for wifi to be spotty at events like these and so not all booths will be able to have Tidal/Qobuz etc up and running. If you have particular songs you know well and use to demo gear, make sure to bring those on your phone. Not all booths will let you plug your phone/DAP in but most are happy to let you do so. (Ask first!)

- Attend both days
Unless you absolutely cannot do both, I'd HIGHLY recommend you attend both days. Getting all the good stuff in within 2 days is already a bit of a challenge. If you only go for one day you'll have to be quite selective about what you demo.

- Bringing your own gear is recommended but not necessary
Most booths will have source gear and headphones, you don't 'need' to bring headphones to try stuff and you can always use what's there. But it can help to compare and evaluate stuff if you bring some gear you're familiar with.
Additionally, some booths might have a dozen headphones/IEMs but only a couple amps. So it can help to save time queuing if you have your own portable DAC/Amp to plug headphones into rather than waiting for the one at a booth to free up.

- CanJam is a social event as much as it is about the gear
This is the main reason I love these events. The gear is awesome, but getting to spend time with and talk to so many other audio enthusiasts and wonderful people is an absolute blast. Make friends, encourage others you know to go too, and remember that stuff doesn't finish as soon as the event itself closes!

Great points all!

I'll add a few:

(1) Bring all possible cables/adapaters to connect your portable offline music to the exhibitor's gear (4.4 to dual XLR, 3.5 to dual RCA / USB-B..C..A / headphone cable adapters of all kinds)

(2) Some extra discounts can sometimes be had in the final hour when folks pack up

(3) Read the floor map in advance, plan where you want to go, and beeline there. A bit of focus upfront is very productive.

(4) Come early both days, head first to your top priority/ies for quiet listening time. Let uereka and distraction lead you after that.

(5) Make sure you don't miss on the side rooms - usually the most extensive gear for best listening and key exhibitors can be found there, but it's physically out of sight of the main floor

See you all there, super excited to re/connect in person with all of you!
:beerchug:

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:33 PM Post #289 of 792
No show by Sony again?
My experience working with big companies like Sony, probably the local guys have to get approval from corporate in Japan before they could do shows like CanJam. Seemed like the higher ups like showing at RMAF in the past since they could also show off some of their speakers/2-channel/AV stuff and then they could also show off the Sony gear in CanJam.

I do remember CanJam SoCal 2019 when I was still at TSAV, my Sony rep couldn't get the ok to show but was able to let me borrow their super limited DMP-Z1 for the show when there was probably less than half a dozen units in North America period.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jan 24, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #290 of 792
Hope to see plenty of you guys there!

If you're on the fence about going: DO IT. Seriously Canjams are a huge amount of fun and you will be incredibly happy you did go.

A few tips for people if it's your first CanJam/Audio Event:

- Make a shortlist
Take a look at the website/exhibitors list and make a shortlist of everything you want to try. There usually won't be enough time to properly demo everything so make sure you get the stuff you really want to hear in first. Also a good plan to take a quick walk around to see what's there when you arrive in case there is something you spot that you didn't see on the website.

- There are usually good discounts at the show
Lots of companies run show-specials so if you are thinking of making a purchase in the near future, might be good to try to get cash together before the show as you will often be able to get stuff cheaper than usual if you buy at the show.

- Bring some of your own music on a phone or DAP
It's not uncommon for wifi to be spotty at events like these and so not all booths will be able to have Tidal/Qobuz etc up and running. If you have particular songs you know well and use to demo gear, make sure to bring those on your phone. Not all booths will let you plug your phone/DAP in but most are happy to let you do so. (Ask first!)

- Attend both days
Unless you absolutely cannot do both, I'd HIGHLY recommend you attend both days. Getting all the good stuff in within 2 days is already a bit of a challenge. If you only go for one day you'll have to be quite selective about what you demo.

- Bringing your own gear is recommended but not necessary
Most booths will have source gear and headphones, you don't 'need' to bring headphones to try stuff and you can always use what's there. But it can help to compare and evaluate stuff if you bring some gear you're familiar with.
Additionally, some booths might have a dozen headphones/IEMs but only a couple amps. So it can help to save time queuing if you have your own portable DAC/Amp to plug headphones into rather than waiting for the one at a booth to free up.

- CanJam is a social event as much as it is about the gear
This is the main reason I love these events. The gear is awesome, but getting to spend time with and talk to so many other audio enthusiasts and wonderful people is an absolute blast. Make friends, encourage others you know to go too, and remember that stuff doesn't finish as soon as the event itself closes!

Great points all!

I'll add a few:

(1) Bring all possible cables/adapaters to connect your portable offline music to the exhibitor's gear (4.4 to dual XLR, 3.5 to dual RCA / USB-B..C..A / headphone cable adapters of all kinds)

(2) Some extra discounts can sometimes be had in the final hour when folks pack up

(3) Read the floor map in advance, plan where you want to go, and beeline there. A bit of focus upfront is very productive.

(4) Come early both days, head first to your top priority/ies for quiet listening time. Let uereka and distraction lead you after that.

(5) Make sure you don't miss on the side rooms - usually the most extensive gear for best listening and key exhibitors can be found there, but it's physically out of sight of the main floor

See you all there, super excited to re/connect in person with all of you!
:beerchug:

All great points here, guys.

Few things from me:
  • Make sure to take care of your ears and be respectful of others with your listening volumes during the show. It should be obvious, but it needs to be said.
  • Clean your ears best, whether with disinfecting wipes or a solid shower after each day.
  • Ask questions from reps at the booth, like me and @Netforce. We're here to help you; there are no dumb questions. If you're new to audio, specify that so we can give the least technical explanation possible to help you understand the gear from your point of view.
  • Listening fatigue is a real thing. No one can sit around for hours listening to gear and not get it. Take the time to use CanJam as a social event and get to know others...by not talking about audio.
  • Another note on listening fatigue: bring a notepad to write things down as you listen to them. When you hear 100+ products at a show, lines blur, and you forget why you like one.

I hope that helps! I look forward to meeting those of you who I haven't yet and seeing those of you for the first time I haven't met yet!

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #291 of 792
Any chance fatfreq will be at the show??

Jan 24, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #292 of 792
Jan 25, 2023 at 1:44 AM Post #294 of 792
Jan 25, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #296 of 792
NYC2023.jpg

CanJam returns to the Big Apple for the 6th edition of CanJam NYC! Join us for CanJam NYC 2023 at the newly renovated New York Marriott Marquis in Times Square! SAVE THE DATES and be sure to subscribe to the thread for updates!

CanJam NYC 2023

New York Marriott Marquis, Times Square
1535 Broadway
New York, NY 10036
USA

Saturday, February 25, 2023
10am to 6pm

Sunday, February 26, 2023
10am to 5pm

Show Tickets (Click here to purchase)
Weekend - $40
One Day - $30

Travel
Surround yourself with the sights and sounds of the city at New York Marriott Marquis. One of the premier hotels in Times Square, its central location gives you easy access to NYC entertainment options and several subway lines to access any part of NYC. We have secured a limited number of rooms for $269/night. Click here to make your room reservations.

CanJam Volunteers
There will be volunteer staff positions at CanJam NYC 2023 to assist at the Registration Desk. You will need to be able to commit to a 4 hour shift on either the Saturday or Sunday of the event. Volunteers will receive free weekend tickets along with an event T-Shirt. If you are interested, please send me a PM or email to ethan@canjam.org with your full name, email address, and T-Shirt size.

We look forward to seeing you at CanJam NYC 2023!

NY23_avatar300x300_v1.jpg
I'll be attending !! when does the floor plan come out ?

Jan 25, 2023 at 9:35 AM Post #297 of 792
Due to occasional last minute changes in exhibitor attendance we don't release the floor plan before the event, so you'll be able to find the CanJam NYC 2023 floor plan in the printed guides available at registration and on posted signage located in the CanJam exhibit space.

Jan 25, 2023 at 3:44 PM Post #298 of 792
Is there a "BRING YOUR GEAR FOR POSSIBLE TRADING" area or plan? It would be fun to just bring some of your stuff and see what other people have. I'm ready to trade up some stuff.

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #299 of 792
Since we take up the entirety of our available space at each event, we don't have dedicated areas for swaps/sales at CanJams. If you've been to one of our previous CanJam NYC events you'll probably remember the side halls of quieter space are fully occupied with the seminar room and exhibitors who need a more isolated listening environment.

For those hoping to buy or sell with fellow Head-Fi'ers at a CanJam, it's common to see buyers and sellers post listings on Head-Fi Classifieds and link to those listings in their signatures. When fellow CanJam attendees see the signature they can reach out and work out details for sales, purchases, or trades to fellow members outside the show floor.

Jan 25, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #300 of 792
Is there a "BRING YOUR GEAR FOR POSSIBLE TRADING" area or plan? It would be fun to just bring some of your stuff and see what other people have. I'm ready to trade up some stuff.
That's actually a really good idea! Could also be a place where you can demo other peoples stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back