CanJam NYC 2022 Impressions Thread (February 26-27, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 7, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #421 of 489
You mean Audio 46?

Mar 7, 2022 at 7:28 PM Post #423 of 489
While on the topic of show specials... Can someone remind me how the $30 off special by Linsoul works/ed? And do you know if it has expired? (The item I want hasn't been in stock anyway)

Mar 7, 2022 at 7:35 PM Post #424 of 489
Did you audition the monarch MKii at the show? I'd love to get your comparison on it vs the OG monarch. Any plan to upgrade?
MK 2 is a very balanced iems, nice tunning but what I like of the OG version (sub bass/rumble) I didn't find it in the MK 2, I can see what people prefer the MK 2 over the original, the upgrade to the Monarch OG in my opinion and for my taste was the UM MEXT, but it's just preference at the end, all 3 iems are fantastic.

20220215_170951-01.jpeg

Mar 7, 2022 at 8:26 PM Post #425 of 489
MK 2 is a very balanced iems, nice tunning but what I like of the OG version (sub bass/rumble) I didn't find it in the MK 2, I can see what people prefer the MK 2 over the original, the upgrade to the Monarch OG in my opinion and for my taste was the UM MEXT, but it's just preference at the end, all 3 iems are fantastic.

Thank you for your input.

While on the topic of show specials... Can someone remind me how the $30 off special by Linsoul works/ed? And do you know if it has expired? (The item I want hasn't been in stock anyway)
I used mine today on an item that was not currently in stock. Doesn't answer your question about when it expires but I can confirm it's currently working.

Mar 7, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #426 of 489
I used mine today on an item that was not currently in stock. Doesn't answer your question about when it expires but I can confirm it's currently working.
Thanx for the fyi.
P.s. I remembered I have a photograph of a discount code assigned to me at the table. So will use that right away.

Mar 8, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #427 of 489
How do I update firmware? The units at the booth were not updated?
They came from the factory with firmware 2.2, and for the second day we updated them to 2.3.0 overnight. Bit more volume headroom and button responsiveness, and a few other things… we have been pretty active with them, should be releasing another update with an improvement to battery standby time this month (maybe as early as the end of next week? Soon as it’s done cooking!).

There’s a demonstration of how to update the firmware, and a whole bunch of other helpful videos & documentation at https://help.grellaudio.com/grell/grell-tws-1

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2022 at 8:18 AM Post #428 of 489
My biggest regret of Canjam was not asking the guys at audio 46 if they had a cash show special on this item. Really want it now.
Please don't feel too bad since Audio 46 only had a few select items available for show discount.

Mar 8, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #429 of 489
Has the idea of portable isolation booths ever been discussed?

Like something you could walk into, plug in headphones, and demo with much reduced background noise?

Mar 8, 2022 at 10:42 AM Post #430 of 489
Best bass response I have heard in a headphone which is important for a bass head like me. And, the WA33 really balanced out the sound.
It was interesting hearing these off the WA33, I've owned these headphones 2 months ago and found them to be better sounding on my chain (B135sst2 taps fed by May or Dangerous DC2).

It's the king of midbass, and "slam", but if you start comparing to other flagships, you'll notice the bass is very one-note and lacking texture and layering, and then heavily rolled off below 120Hz. Then the bigger problem in my ownership more than lack of sub bass is the dark upper mids, then spike up around the presence/ low treble to give it artificial shimmer (detail) and the again rolling off the treble. It makes for a very 2-channel sound, à la vintage JBL or Klipsch of the 70's, with whopping boominess but no foundation.

It also makes these headphones quite forgiving (which is awesome) yet sounding quite technical still. It's the perfect headphone for metal and classic rock where recordings are less than stellar. Unfortunately for me, it's not as technically proficient as headphones much lesser in price (ex. LCD4, HE6 OG, Focal Utopia, TH900 if thinking bass response-wise).

I like to compare the 1266 Phi TC's bass to a mix of UM MEST MK1 and IER-M9; elevated and punchy, yet smothered/ smoothened to an extent and full but lacking primary note impact. LCD5 being an Odin, Utopia being Z1R with less midbass and Susvara being its own thing where no iem even comes close yet (Trailli reminded me of it in its somewhat inoffensive tone and effortlessness, but still far behind technically).

Try a Susvara with HE6 pads if you like bottomless bass and punch - it's a transformative upgrade that all Susvara owners must do to reel in some dynamics.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 8, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #431 of 489
It was interesting hearing these off the WA33, I've owned these headphones 2 months ago and found them to be better sounding on my chain (B135sst2 taps fed by May or Dangerous DC2).

It's the king of midbass, and "slam", but if you start comparing to other flagships, you'll notice the bass is very one-note and lacking texture and layering, and then heavily rolled off below 120Hz. Then the bigger problem in my ownership more than lack of sub bass is the dark upper mids, then spike up around the presence/ low treble to give it artificial shimmer (detail) and the again rolling off the treble. It makes for a very 2-channel sound, à la vintage JBL or Klipsch of the 70's, with whopping boominess but no foundation.

It also makes these headphones quite forgiving (which is awesome) yet sounding quite technical still. It's the perfect headphone for metal and classic rock where recordings are less than stellar. Unfortunately for me, it's not as technically proficient as headphones much lesser in price (ex. LCD4, HE6 OG, Focal Utopia, TH900 if thinking bass response-wise).

I like to compare the 1266 Phi TC's bass to a mix of UM MEST MK1 and IER-M9; elevated and punchy, yet smothered/ smoothened to an extent and full but lacking primary note impact. LCD5 being an Odin, Utopia being Z1R with less midbass and Susvara being its own thing where no iem even comes close yet (Trailli reminded me of it in its somewhat inoffensive tone and effortlessness, but still far behind technically).

Try a Susvara with HE6 pads if you like bottomless bass and punch - it's a transformative upgrade that all Susvara owners must do to reel in some dynamics.
I would argue the opposite. On the Bartok I felt the 1266 had the much better bass with no loss of timbre, musicality or detail in the mids and treble vs the Susvara. On the WA33 vs the Sus on the HiFiman 1000 amp ( the $15k amp) I found the Susvara bass light and again with no advantage in the mids or treble. I just smiled and enjoyed when hearing the 1266 on the WA33. On the Sus and Hifiman amp I always felt it sounded very good but light ( as you said, still superior to any IEM, so this is all in context). Tks.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #432 of 489
Also surprised I didn't like the LCD-5 as much. The 4 was superior in almost all respects for my ears.

And the Diana always surprises!
lcd5 can be confused as if it is a headphone from a company that has nothing to do with audeze, the lcd4 trumps the lcd5 in every aspect except design and weight.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:33 PM Post #433 of 489
lcd5 can be confused as if it is a headphone from a company that has nothing to do with audeze, the lcd4 trumps the lcd5 in every aspect except design and weight.
Totally subjective, but I completely agree with you. If they move the 4 to that design without significantly affecting the tuning, I think that's an endgame.

Mar 8, 2022 at 12:35 PM Post #434 of 489
Has the idea of portable isolation booths ever been discussed?

Like something you could walk into, plug in headphones, and demo with much reduced background noise?
Yes, check out the CanJam Socal thread.

I owned the UM MEST mki and I currently own the IER-M9, I couldn't disagree with you more on their bass quality relative to 1266TC. They aren't even in the same universe of bass response.

I also own Odin, Utopia, Z1R, Traillii and Susvara and I've demoed the LCD5 for over 2 hours. Let's just say we don't hear things the same way. Empire Ears Legend EVO has the best bass response of any IEM I have heard. 1266TC has the best headphone bass response of anything I have ever heard.

Mar 8, 2022 at 4:38 PM Post #435 of 489
Right, but the 'fidelity' drops; dynamics become congested and there is a slight lack of clarity. Why not skip the EQ, keep the best sound, and buy something suited to your hearing and taste? For my money that would be a more satisfying audiophile experience. :)
I call BS. It doesn't make sense that fidelity would "drop" from EQing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back