CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #301 of 400
The R6 doesn't have a dynamic playlist. You can't select albums and queue them or insert them into the queue next, last, or shuffled for example. The Sony players can't either. I believe the Lotoo and A&K players can though.

Feb 19, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #302 of 400
I think that is the only way to go with CA. Their universals just fit so horrible in my ears and i dont seem be to the only way who shares that opinion.
No, I had the AndromedaSS and it was always a pain to fit properly, I ended up selling them.

How did they change the sound of the Valkyries. I purchased the Valkyries at the show...... absolutely fell in love.
Were you the guy getting the ear impressions done?

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #303 of 400
Were you the guy getting the ear impressions done?

I think Empire guys were doing impressions right at the table for free, like they usually do at all the shows.

Btw, always check with your local audiologist, many do impressions for hearing aid. I had appointment with one on Monday, my left earcanal was clean while the right one had a piece of wax wedged pretty deep, and after cleaning they also did 3 pairs of impressions for me. The doctor is in my health insurance networks, so I just paid $35 copay for the visit.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #304 of 400
The R6 doesn't have a dynamic playlist. You can't select albums and queue them or insert them into the queue next, last, or shuffled for example. The Sony players can't either. I believe the Lotoo and A&K players can though.
In fact it does...with UAPP. I don't use playlists so it's not a feature I look out for, but I often use play next and queue. I don't bother with the HiBy app that comes preloaded on the R6 Pro and go straight to UAPP. Anything else is second best. UAPP also gives me crossfeed, PEQ, built-in Tidal support. And with the latest firmware update the R6 Pro is also the first Android player that supports system-wide EQ. Try doing that with your SP2K.

Feb 19, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #305 of 400
Any andro owners get a chance to try the Solstice from Campfire?

I demo'd both and found the Solstice to sound a little warmer, though that could just be due to it being a custom in a universal demo shell. I'm kind of interested now that CA is doing customs.

Yep, sure did. The Andro is one of my very favorite earphones and I plan to get myself a Solstice. Sounded excellent. Very much like an "upgraded Andromeda." So if you did the Andro sound signature, I'd highly recommend Solstice.

Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Feb 19, 2020 at 11:09 AM Post #306 of 400
Yep, sure did. The Andro is one of my very favorite earphones and I plan to get myself a Solstice. Sounded excellent. Very much like an "upgraded Andromeda." So if you did the Andro sound signature, I'd highly recommend Solstice.

Did you get a chance to try SE Solaris?

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:12 AM Post #307 of 400
In fact it does...with UAPP. I don't use playlists so it's not a feature I look out for, but I often use play next and queue. I don't bother with the HiBy app that comes preloaded on the R6 Pro and go straight to UAPP. Anything else is second best. UAPP also gives me crossfeed, PEQ, built-in Tidal support. And with the latest firmware update the R6 Pro is also the first Android player that supports system-wide EQ. Try doing that with your SP2K.
R6Pro is poo, I've had 2 units, all plagued with Rf noise. They gave it Android and didn't bother with the shielding at all! Decent midfi sound, awesome features, good power, but can't listen to it with horrible Rf noise

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #308 of 400
R6Pro is poo, I've had 2 units, all plagued with Rf noise. They gave it Android and didn't bother with the shielding at all! Decent midfi sound, awesome features, good power, but can't listen to it with horrible Rf noise
Sorry to hear that. I'm one of several R6 Pro users that have had zero RF issues. Ok, not zero - if I put my phone on the R6 Pro and use Wi-Fi I can hear some scratching noises, but further than 15cm away the noises are gone. If you're someone that needs to strap your phone to a DAP, look elsewhere. Otherwise, zero issues. As always, YMMV, mine does...

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #309 of 400
How did they change the sound of the Valkyries. I purchased the Valkyries at the show...... absolutely fell in love.
Same here! Amazingly fun IEM. Did you go custom?

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:24 AM Post #310 of 400
Also need these comparisons because right now... It's between these gorgeous beasts

It's an interesting contest, between two really fine phones. For me, Stellia won out for it's versatility, it scales up, but isn't fussy about amps. It's a great phone even on a humble DAP. Isolation is very good, comfort is very good, and it doesn't have a 'closed in' sound at all. I listen to a lot of choral and orchestral music, and the instrumental separation is fantastic. Also, I was listening to Joyce DiDonato and on the Stellia, her voice emerges without smearing... one thing I try to listen for is positional accuracy, lower tones shouldn't pull towards the center or the sides compared to the higher ones. Another strong point of the Stellia is with orchestral tuned percussion and pianos - not only do they deliver the dynamics, the harmonics decay together in a very tight, natural way. I think there's some apparent 'euphonic' low frequency delay in the lows on some phones, that deputizes for warmth, but it's fatiguing or bloated over time. Stellia's don't do that at all. LOL, maybe the ZMF absorb those frequencies, but my balder head was happier in the Stellia's. But the only way to really win would be to get both phones, and suitable amps for each. Clearly, they're both superior phones, and quite different. I'd definitely enjoy some time with the VC's listening to a wider variety of music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 19, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #311 of 400
It's an interesting contest, between two really fine phones. For me, Stellia won out for it's versatility, it scales up, but isn't fussy about amps. It's a great phone even on a humble DAP. Isolation is very good, comfort is very good, and it doesn't have a 'closed in' sound at all. I listen to a lot of choral and orchestral music, and the instrumental separation is fantastic. Also, I was listening to Joyce DiDonato and on the Stellia, her voice emerges without smearing... one thing I try to listen for is positional accuracy, lower tones shouldn't pull towards the center or the sides compared to the higher ones. Another strong point of the Stellia is with orchestral tuned percussion and pianos - not only do they deliver the dynamics, the harmonics decay together in a very tight, natural way. I think there's some apparent 'euphonic' low frequency delay in the lows on some phones, that deputizes for warmth, but it's fatiguing or bloated over time. Stellia's don't do that at all. LOL, maybe the ZMF absorb those frequencies, but my balder head was happier in the Stellia's. But the only way to really win would be to get both phones, and suitable amps for each. Clearly, they're both superior phones, and quite different. I'd definitely enjoy some time with the VC's listening to a wider variety of music.
I would be using either for techno, minimal, edm music. However looking for a recessed subbass. Rather have a puncher Midbass. Midforward with smooth highs, but detail, resolution and imaging are my priorities

Feb 19, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #312 of 400
Bloom Audio Headphones and Personal Audio with Pitch Perfect Service. Stay updated on Bloom Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/BloomAudioStore https://twitter.com/BloomAudioStore https://www.instagram.com/BloomAudioStore https://bloomaudio.com hello@bloomaudio.com
Feb 19, 2020 at 12:27 PM Post #313 of 400
I would be using either for techno, minimal, edm music. However looking for a recessed subbass. Rather have a puncher Midbass. Midforward with smooth highs, but detail, resolution and imaging are my priorities
I think the Stellia is the perfect headphone for your needs. Have you seen the FR chart of the Stellia? Exactly what you describe. Punchy midbass etc. Maybe @teknorob23 can chime in? As I remember correctly he also loves EDM and had both the VC and Stellia side by side for a few weeks and sold the VC because imaging and resolution, as well as the mids are more forward in comparison to the VC. But I haven’t heard both so maybe ask him!

Feb 19, 2020 at 12:33 PM Post #314 of 400
I think the Stellia is the perfect headphone for your needs. Have you seen the FR chart of the Stellia? Exactly what you describe. Punchy midbass etc. Maybe @teknorob23 can chime in? As I remember correctly he also loves EDM and had both the VC and Stellia side by side for a few weeks and sold the VC because imaging and resolution, as well as the mids are more forward in comparison to the VC. But I haven’t heard both so maybe ask him!
Great points... resolution is hard to beat on the Stellias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back