CanJam NYC 2020 Impressions Thread (February 15-16, 2020)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #331 of 400
What open back is clearly better? Even though I like a more intimate narrower stage from a closed back more

The Audio Technica ad2000, ad2000x, and adx5000 are open backs with an intimate mid focus that may suit you to try out.

Feb 19, 2020 at 8:13 PM Post #332 of 400
The R6 doesn't have a dynamic playlist. You can't select albums and queue them or insert them into the queue next, last, or shuffled for example. The Sony players can't either. I believe the Lotoo and A&K players can though.

You are correct about A&K DAPs (at least the SR15 and SP1000 and SP1000M), I can easily modify playlists on the DAP and while the playlist is playing.

I think Empire guys were doing impressions right at the table for free, like they usually do at all the shows.
You're correct, Empire Ears was doing free impressions at the show, as well as JH Audio. Both have done free impressions at past CanJams for those ordering customs.

I picked up a Valkyrie and Nemesis. I went custom with the Valkyrie but got the Nemesis universal. I’m regretting that. Loving my Bravado custom and should have stuck with custom. I like the Nemesis so much I’m trying to sell it at a loss and buy the custom.

Curious as to why you went with the Nemesis vice the LX? Both are great BTW, and as we've share over on the EE thread, we both love our custom Bravados. :beerchug:

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #333 of 400
TL;DR: It sounds pretty nice, but for the price, I would not be satisfied. Maybe that’s the point though? Half kidding. Mostly kidding. : )

I can’t compare it to the HA-300, but I compared to the Fidelice (Rupert Neve Designs) Percision DAC + Headphone Amp (~$5,000?), and the Fidelice unit wins for me. Ok maybe not a fair comparison, but even the Fidelice Percision Headphone amp (~$1,000) seemed more satifying, enjoyable and memorable.

Not to say the Cayin sounds bad. It sounds pretty nice. The thing is, for that price...it should sound better if it’s sole function is to be a headphone amplifier.

Full disclosure, I’m not a fan at all of using certain newly produced tubes in the signal path like they did with the EH 12AU7’s they put in there (which IMO vary from not great to downright bad usually). So maybe that was partially why.

But, again...it’s a $2500 headphone amplifier...this is endgame pricing territory; it shouldn’t use those tubes in it haha. Maybe it’s better suited for other headphones than what I used, and I don’t remember what they had hooked up to it, but I think it might have been straight from my Cayin N6ii possibly - long day there hah.

Edit - more that I think about it, more I was slightly disappointed. I had heard their other amplifier was very good, so I was excited to try the new model. But I dunno man. I have ultra linear tube monoblocks from the 50’s sitting right next to me, connected to my home stereo. The Cayin didn’t live up to what I’ve come to know and appreciate from the ultra linear/Williamson circuit design. I’m sure it will have its following though.
Hi ,, Thank you for feedback,
i am really interested in this amp and your post is the only feedback about this amp i have read so far , what exactly you didnt like about the sound ?
Also when you say you dont like newly produced tubes , what does that mean ?
Thanks again

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #334 of 400
It depends upon the rest of your gear and what your usage will be. If you plan on using a DAP or phone then I would go with Stellia.
If you have a nice home setup,amp+DAC,then I would go with the ZMF.

Both are excellent headphones,but with my system the VC handily bested the Stellia.

I'll second that opinion, the Stella is an excellent headphone, but the VCs superior in tonal accuracy, soundstage, bass, and smoother treble.

Feb 20, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #335 of 400
Hey guys, Corsonus from the meet checking in here. Just wanted to post up a pic of the amp stacked, as I forgot to have one setup stacked to show the footprint and also a few people thought the power supply was a DAC. It was nice talking to you guys, and a bit weird being on the other end of the booth for the first time. The two amps at the meet were prototypes but the final product will have an engraved logo and amp name so the front of the amp billet enclosure will change a bit... apologies for any confusion that caused. Live and learn, I guess. I'll post up a pic of the rendered final version soon.

Cheers,
Justin

Attachments

• 20200217_101642.jpg
    20200217_101642.jpg
    433.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200217_100723.jpg
    20200217_100723.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 0
Feb 20, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #338 of 400
The Audio 64 N8s were just perfect for me: something about the DD bass really tickled my fancies. JH Audio's Lola were a close second.
Good choice! Two friends have the N8 and really like it. Enjoy!!

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:13 AM Post #339 of 400
Hey guys, Corsonus from the meet checking in here. Just wanted to post up a pic of the amp stacked, as I forgot to have one setup stacked to show the footprint and also a few people thought the power supply was a DAC. It was nice talking to you guys, and a bit weird being on the other end of the booth for the first time. The two amps at the meet were prototypes but the final product will have an engraved logo and amp name so the front of the amp billet enclosure will change a bit... apologies for any confusion that caused. Live and learn, I guess. I'll post up a pic of the rendered final version soon.

Cheers,
Justin
This amp look really nice , cant wait for more feedback about it , the comment about the bass in the website caught my attention ,,
i have one question , what is the volume pot in this amp ?

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #340 of 400
The Audio 64 N8s were just perfect for me: something about the DD bass really tickled my fancies. JH Audio's Lola were a close second.
Great choice! Except that's a $1700 IEM, not $500?
Have you tried the Empire Ears Bravados?
They also have a nice and meaty bass, courtesy of DD, and the price is MUCH lower!
I bought a custom from them in CanJam Socal 2019 and love them!!

Feb 20, 2020 at 12:25 PM Post #341 of 400
Great choice! Except that's a $1700 IEM, not $500?

Hehe with the CanJam discount it's close enough? Is +/-$1000 a big deal in audio? :ksc75smile:

Have you tried the Empire Ears Bravados?
They also have a nice and meaty bass, courtesy of DD, and the price is MUCH lower!
I bought a custom from them in CanJam Socal 2019 and love them!!

I don't remember enough to go into the specific details but the high-end clarity was much better on the 64Audio offerings.

Feb 20, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #342 of 400
But, again...it’s a $2500 headphone amplifier...this is endgame pricing territory;
Thanks for your insight. For the $1500 - $2500 price point what tube amps would you recommend? I'm currently saving up and the Cayin was high on the list. I'd still like to hear it for myself but curious what else is out there.

Feb 20, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #343 of 400
This amp look really nice , cant wait for more feedback about it , the comment about the bass in the website caught my attention ,,
i have one question , what is the volume pot in this amp ?

Thank you! I'll be sending some demo units to reviewers so hopefully you will have some more feedback soon. The volume pot is the TKD 4CP-601.

Feb 20, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #344 of 400
Thank you! I'll be sending some demo units to reviewers so hopefully you will have some more feedback soon. The volume pot is the TKD 4CP-601.
Is there a dedicated thread for this amp?
If not - I suggest you create one! Looking forward to hear more about this amp!!

Feb 21, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #345 of 400
thinking about adding a second listening station. i would just need an amp to power my Audeze LCD2. the benchmark HPA4 looks very interesting (although $3K) or for about $1K less, the SPL Phonitor XE. if i didn't want to spend either of those amounts, there is always the Schiit Mjolinir 2 (under $1K).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back