CanJam NYC 2018 Impressions (February 17-18, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #17 of 335
Feb 18, 2018 at 8:34 AM Post #18 of 335
We have a wonderful day yesterday, our HA-300 has surprised a lot of friends and visitors, please come and check out this new 300B+6SN7 headphone amplifier from Cayin, weight almost 30kg with outboard power supply unit, it built like a tank and sound wonderful sweat and silent.

We are sharing the room with Meze Audio. Two sets of HA-300 will be demoed with Meze Empyrean, HiFiman Susvara and Focal Utopia at Room URIS. We'll also has a complete lineup of our current Personal Audio products waiting for your audition.
_90A3905.jpg
_90A3925.jpg

_90A3922.jpg

_90A3904.jpg

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
Feb 18, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #19 of 335
Went yesterday and it was really fun. You definitely need two days and more to really appreciate whats there. My hands down favorite for iem is the 64audio u18 then Dita dream if cost is a concern. I have jh audio universal laylas and prefer the u18's. The laylas might go up for sale. The laylas are outstanding, just the u18's are more to my liking. This was my first time and I will be going again next year.

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #20 of 335
Will anyone be at CanJam today - particularly at the Woo Audio booth?
I am new to the Stax train and was there yesterday demoing the Lamda's. They had the new black 353 anniversary amp and a 300/500/700. The rep told me the 300 headphone was the new anniversary addition. I forgot to look for the gold emblem which would indicate so.

I am leery about what he told me as he did not seem that familiar with things and provided several bits of incorrect information. I am under the impression the 300 anniversary cans are not here yet - so most likely I was listening to a regular 300?? The new anniversary edition should have a GOLD Stax emblem on the bottom side.

Could someone check it out?

Feb 18, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #21 of 335
Will anyone be at CanJam today - particularly at the Woo Audio booth?
I am new to the Stax train and was there yesterday demoing the Lamda's. They had the new black 353 anniversary amp and a 300/500/700. The rep told me the 300 headphone was the new anniversary addition. I forgot to look for the gold emblem which would indicate so.

I am leery about what he told me as he did not seem that familiar with things and provided several bits of incorrect information. I am under the impression the 300 anniversary cans are not here yet - so most likely I was listening to a regular 300?? The new anniversary edition should have a GOLD Stax emblem on the bottom side.

Could someone check it out?
Douglas of STAX, or Mike Liang of Woo Audio will be there.
DSC_2531_01.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #23 of 335
Fyiw... this ... THIS, 40 year old rig kicked ass!!! haha HA!!!

Explanation... Thank you Scott (first photo, The Audio Traveler?) for taking the time and effort sitting down with me and letting me have a listen. We never met. I just saw him standing with this around his neck in the middle of the show room floor a minute after I walked in. I made a positive comment and next thing I knew he was setting it up and I was setting up my source. What a nice guy! It handled everything I threw at it with pure luscious sound. What a legendary piece of equipment that deserves a lot more accolades today than I ever hear mention.

I got to and listened to FAR less than I'd hoped. My likes? ...

FOCAL Clear ... aptly named. Period. Hahaha. And could have been helped by the Queuestyle amp driving. Used my Opus #1 optical out as source. What a nice engaging system. On my "would be happy to buy & own" list.

ABYSS Diana. Yes please. I want. Voicing had a lot more presence than the big Frankenstein brother, yet still superb but not over the top bass.

I DID NOT get sybillance cited earlier from its bigger frankenstine brother. Not at all. Bass was as huge as can be expected from headphones without it being 10" Tannoy Coax Monitor Drivers bolted 3" from my ears. Definitely a U shaped voicing. Yet the nuances in the midrange jumped out. An Extraordinary headphone.

After a few songs I queue up the newest Maroon 5 album from what they used, Tidal [?]. I've had it on repeat since getting it for free after buying tickets to their upcoming concert. My friend and I swapped the two abyss headphones twice listening to about 1/2 the album and we were dualy impressed. Maybe we're not critical enough. Lol. I just loved both of them.

But my 'best in show' goes to the Final Audio D8000. Wow. The greatest balance between dynamism and nuance i heard today, driven right from my Opus #1.... granted, it was at max output. It was minutes before closing at 7pm so i didnt want to be an a-hole and pull out my Mojo and keep the guys there after hours. I'll be back there Sunday.

I listened to about twice as many things. So again, I listened to a lot less than planned. Don't take it to the bank these ARE the best ... just best to me of what I heard.

Worth noting if you like the Senn 800 you should like the closed 820. A lot of similarities in their voicing to me. But both were a bit dry; could be the source/dac/amp. It was the only booth where we didn't have control of music choice and only one source for many stations. It's possible they needed a good buffer to distribute the signal; seemed 'drawn down' to me.

Dislikes? No Queustyle. And NO A&K ... were they (the latter) never on the show page? I thought they were listed as an exhibitor, but not there when I just looked :frowning2: My number one desire was to hear and spend a lot of time with the Kann. What a disappointment. (Heard at the end, the guy that ran their attendance at shows resigned. So maybe that's why. Dunno. Still bummed/annoyed)

And No Smyth ... But there, I know why. ... Waiting eagerly for my A16.
Today he's donning a pair of rare, vintage SR-4070 headphones!
DSC_2535_01_01.jpg

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #24 of 335
Douglas of STAX, or Mike Liang of Woo Audio will be there.

Thanks however I was there yesterday and will not be returning today. I just wanted some confirmation however some on the Stax thread replied and confirmed they were the anniversary edition.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #25 of 335
Sigma are flipped over on the second picture...and hell it's important with Sigma :D
@zzz any picture of the Viva STX ? I've listened to a hidden prototype last october in France, paint me curious then :wink:

Ali
I did not take any pictures at the show, but it looks exactly like the Egoista 2A3 that's on their website, except with a Stax jack instead of the 1/4":

IMG_9002.JPG

Feb 18, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #28 of 335
Looking for impressions of the Cayin HA-300 SET tube amp. Esp paired with the Meze Empyrean

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #29 of 335
Unfortunately, I have some last minute obligations so my first CanJam will be a short one, but if anyone is interested in trying out the IMR Acoustics R1 I brought mine with all filters. I have M spinfit tips on them (I also brought AudioWipes), but you’re welcome to use your own.

Also, where would I pick up my t-shirts?

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #30 of 335
Wish i could meet the NYC canjam volunteers :) and grab a tee too haha
All the best, fun and stamina for the ticketing ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back