CanJam NYC 2018 Impressions (February 17-18, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2018 at 4:04 PM Post #31 of 335
Unfortunately, I have some last minute obligations so my first CanJam will be a short one, but if anyone is interested in trying out the IMR Acoustics R1 I brought mine with all filters. I have M spinfit tips on them (I also brought AudioWipes), but you’re welcome to use your own. Text me at 917-330-2328.

Also, where would I pick up my t-shirts?
by the entrance where you received your show badge. Ask a staff volunteer. They got the list for the tshirt preorders but also the available ones to buy on the spot.

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #32 of 335
Things are wrapping up here. Just wanted to say thank you to all the volunteers and to the organizers and exhibitors! Even though I was only able to get in about 2 hours of CanJam I had a good time!

Also had a bit of a fanboy moment when I got to meet Ken Ball and shake his hand & talk about the amazing things Campfire Audio has done in a relatively short time. All I can say is, keep an eye/ear out for some more great things from them.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #33 of 335
Anyone get a chance to hear Both Meze Empyrean and Final D8000? I spent a lot of time at RMAF listening to D8000, and really liked what I heard, curious about the empyrean.

Feb 18, 2018 at 5:31 PM Post #34 of 335
Feb 18, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #35 of 335
Thanks for sharing that. Definitely helpful. Love to see good competition. If they're priced at 3K or below would probably sell well.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #36 of 335
Viva electrostatic amp.jpg
Woo Electrostatic amp.jpg

Saw two new electrostatic amps at CanJam. First the Viva, top photo. IIRC, uses 6C45 inputs, 2A3 outputs single ended into a step-up transformer. Second, Woo had a new electrostatic amp, uses one 6SN7 input, two 300B output tubes (the middle tube is a rectifier), and "proprietary" output technology, which they refused to specify further. Not plate resistors or choke loads, apparently. When I asked how they got sufficient gain with a single 6SN7 and two 300B output tubes per channel they were equally mysterious.

I listened to both, but show conditions, unfamiliar material, etc., etc.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #38 of 335
This was my second CanJamNYC. I’m a budding audiophile and the quality of current equipment is amazing.

I’m still exploring the low end of the $ point spectrum of equipment.

Now I have some decisions to make. I’m in the market for closed back over ears.

What are your thoughts on....

1. In the ~ $300 range: Meze 99 (Neo) vs 1More Triple Drive Over-ears

2. In the ~ $700 range: Campfire Cascade vs AudioQuest NightOwl vs Mr Speakers Aeon Closed

Thanks

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #39 of 335

2. In the ~ $700 range: Campfire Cascade vs AudioQuest NightOwl vs Mr Speakers Aeon Closed

Thanks
My vote goes to Cascade. In fact, I bought one at CanJam special price.

Feb 18, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #40 of 335
This was my second CanJamNYC. I’m a budding audiophile and the quality of current equipment is amazing.

I’m still exploring the low end of the $ point spectrum of equipment.

Now I have some decisions to make. I’m in the market for closed back over ears.

1. In the ~ $300 range: Meze 99 (Neo) vs 1More Triple Drive Over-ears

Thanks

The Cascade was best in show in my opinion. I think i spent nearly an hour between both days on them; i didnt want to take them off. And around $300 I really liked the velvety smooth Dekoni Blue T50RP; so comfortable. Also the NAD HP70 was excellent. I think that was closer to $400 tho.

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #43 of 335
The Cascade was best in show in my opinion. I think i spent nearly an hour between both days on them; i didnt want to take them off. And around $300 I really liked the velvety smooth Dekoni Blue T50RP; so comfortable. Also the NAD HP70 was excellent. I think that was closer to $400 tho.

Thanks
I agree
The Cascade was hard to take off
I listened to it twice
I am regretting not coming home with a pair
I missed the Dekoni, actually don’t know much about it
Thanks for the advice

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:53 PM Post #45 of 335
Any must have gear come out of the conference? Couldnt go this year but last year I came home with the Meze 99 and Meze 12
Cascade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back