CanJam NYC 2018 Impressions (February 17-18, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 20, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #106 of 335
Actually a lot of people got to demo the S3 from Keces and everyone was really impressed. Hopefully we will hear from some of them on the forums. We had the new Ultrasone edition 15 which was a big hit along with headphones from Audeze, Sennheiser, Mr speakers, and ZMF so people could have a familiar reference to hear what the S3 was capable of.

Anyone have some pics of this table?

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #108 of 335
Truly sad to miss Canjam NY this year. ☹️

Hopefully Singapore and LA will be as cool

I had my Shanling M1 with me as source for demos, including a few Bluetooth units with which it paired and performed well. Attendees asked me about it's palm friendly form factor, nice display etc... The M1 was a was a great companion at the show and on my 5 hour flights to and from CanJam NYC.

Feb 20, 2018 at 2:58 PM Post #109 of 335
The standouts for me were:

MrSpeakers Voce - liked it better than anything from Stax. Extremely comfortable, cool design. The sound had all the detail and transparency typical of an e-stat but with a richer and more dynamic tone.

Final Audio D8000 - these things rock. Amazing bass. Some commented on rolled off treble, but there was nothing missing for me.

Abyss Diana - the fit is a bit peculiar but it packs some punch for such a little package. A solid build too.

Kennerton Tror - new planar not out yet. Sort of an industrial look to them (very Russian I guess) but they sounded amazing out of the Cayin amp.

Meze Empyrean - I only heard it out of the little iFi mini black label amp so probably didn't get to hear it at full potential but it's an indication that you can get great sound out of a low priced set up. Lacked the muscle of the Tror and D8000 though. I also don't think it's worth the expected price tag.

Sennheiser HE-1 - the King of Kings. It has a wonderfully smooth and buttery tone, very musical and seductive.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #110 of 335
Really liked the 1964 tia 12s and i enjoyed Advanced m5 dynamic i believe (if not m4 furtherest right) which was as close as you can get to the 1964 tia t12 for a fraction of the price.

Did enjoy the Campfire cans and the higher focal forget the name.

Thanks Giuseppe for the free headphones.

which iem are you referring to that sounds as close to tia t12

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #111 of 335
When do you think the GT-R will be released? Will there be a lower introductory price as was proposed with the Kickstarter that ended prematurely? Thanks.

Hey Mark Up, we want to reschedule another campaign asap, unfortunately, for us is very expensive to absorb the tooling cost entirely. We invested a lot into building Alpha first so we must to go crowdfunding route for GT-R. To answer your question for sure there will be an early bird price.

The folks from Advanced Sound were great. They also have a forthcoming bluetooth IEM model 3D which I heard the demo of at their booth. It's a hybrid with two balanced armatures and one dynamic driver. Some other enhancements as well. Not sure when it will be available but my brief listen was very favorable. Good clarity in the mids and treble without sibilance along with that satisfying visceral dynamic driver base. Overall a coherent sound as well. Would love more detail about features and availability. It would be great if the cable had a 2 pin option to increase versatility with other IM's and perhaps a bit longer battery life than their previous Bluetooth IEM, but in any case my first listen whet my appetite to learn more...thanks!

Hey Mark Up, Thanks for stopping at our booth. We appreciate really that. We are planning to launch Model 3D in a couple of months. It will be for sure MMXC connector but we will have soon 2PIN Bluetooth cables available on our website. Some samples were shown in CanJam too.

Feb 20, 2018 at 3:52 PM Post #112 of 335
Thank you for stopping @ our booth! :beyersmile:
7Lho5Sk.jpg

any link to the iem that gets The Advanced M5

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #114 of 335
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #116 of 335
Thank you for all these impressions, and people taking the time to post.Being retired, I could never afford to travel from N/E Scotland to visit,so this has given me a good idea, as to whats going on.
You can always try to go to the London CanJam.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #117 of 335
Edited and updated my post with higher res photos.

Feb 20, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #118 of 335
On behalf of the Campfire team we would like to thank everyone who stopped by and hung out, as well as all the event organizers, Jude, Joe, Ethan and company, thank you. The NYC CanJam is one of our favorite shows. 2x on the Juniors cheese cake.

IMG_4893-e1519162360351.jpg

IMG_4900-e1519162304898.jpg

IMG_4896-e1519162347767.jpg

IMG_4909-e1519162278439.jpg

Ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 20, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #119 of 335
This was my second CanJamNYC. I’m a budding audiophile and the quality of current equipment is amazing.

2. In the ~ $700 range: Campfire Cascade vs AudioQuest NightOwl vs Mr Speakers Aeon Closed

Thanks
Would definitely go with the Aeon Closed. It is very neutral but with a slight shift towards bright.
The AQ headphones are very dark and, IMO, not worth anything close to their asking price.
The Cascade is nice but has substantially more bass than the Aeon. I haven't heard it for very long or side-by-side with the others so I can't say too much more on the sound. Hoping to hear another at a meet or CanJam RMAF.

The AQ NightOwl performs just like its name indicates: dark and darker. I only prefer it when it's silent.
The Aeon has a much better tonal balance although it is still veiled and missing something in the upper midrange.
That's not at all how I hear the Aeon. The Aeon Open is veiled in the upper midrange but the Aeon Closed has no veil. The upper midrange of the Aeon Closed sounds slightly forward partially because of the slight dip in the lower midrange.
Completely agree about the NightOwl though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back