CanJam NYC 2018 Impressions (February 17-18, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 19, 2018 at 9:30 PM Post #62 of 335
On the previous page, @gloco wrote "McIntosh table ...". Um, whut?! They were there? Where?

Feb 19, 2018 at 9:53 PM Post #64 of 335
Best of the day for me. Sennheiser HE-1 were the best I've ever heard and at $60,000 that is expected. The second best were the Sennheiser HD820. Fit so well, all the stuff you love in the HD800s with a bit warmer treble (yes) and fuller mids (yes) and more bass quantity and extension (yes). I hope the new tech finds its way to the HD6-- series. Maybe a semi open HD670 or fully closed (with that glass lens) HD680 and a HD690 that can do both? I digress. The next best were the new over ear from iBasso. Just one click too small for my head on both sides, so it still fit but not comfortably. Smooth yet detailed highs, incredibly full mids with no mud, mid bass punch without bloom and sub bass extension for days, & easy to drive. The not yet released Advanced GT-R Planar fit great, had the best sub bass I've heard on a planar, actual "slam" for once. Mids were full and highs very warm, but for treble sensitive folks, just right for long use, without fatigue. The Sundara fit great, sounded great. Beat those in every way except sub bass extension, but still good bass overall. Smoother than the HE560, HE400i, HE400 but just not quite as amazing as the HE-X V2 The LCD-MX4 had similar qualities with smoother high treble, and that forward Audeze midrange that it managed better, and good sub bass extension, it's Audeze that really "slam" in the bass, though a bit less than the Advanced GT-R and of course no planar does sub bass quantity like better dynamics (like the iBasso & Meze 99). Prototype Meze Planar was amazing in fit, build comfort. Just lacked low sub bass extension and quantity. If it had the subs of the GT-R it would be THE planar to beat in every way. So that's about it.

Feb 19, 2018 at 10:00 PM Post #65 of 335
Anyone got any pictures of can jam? In general ?

Just a few with my phone, not the best quality or the best angle, but nevertheless...

cj_nyc_show-01.jpg cj_nyc_show-02.jpg cj_nyc_show-03.jpg cj_nyc_show-04.jpg

Feb 19, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #67 of 335
Truly sad to miss Canjam NY this year. ☹️

Hopefully Singapore and LA will be as cool

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 19, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #69 of 335
That's me in the grey long sleeve shirt at the iBasso booth with John.

I just realized that the left hand banner was falling down!

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #70 of 335
Any impressions of CTMs Davinci's IX or X iems? As a CT-6E owner im curious.

Feb 20, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #71 of 335
Anyone who visited Advanced booth and remembers what was the name of the IEMs on the far right. Was it the m4? I looked at their site and that IEM is $40 the one i am talking about was $399.

edit* think it was the m5.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2018 at 12:41 AM Post #72 of 335
Anyone who visited Advanced booth and remembers what was the name of the IEMs on the far right. Was it the m4? I looked at their site and that IEM is $40 the one i am talking about was $399.

edit* think it was the m5.

Yup. The Advanced M5.

Feb 20, 2018 at 1:29 AM Post #75 of 335
Went the canjam for 2 whole days, and did not waste a minute.
Through my whole life, I have tried to be a man of reason and logic, in fact, I am about to graduate with a phd in mathematics, if that implies anything.

I am only into the hobby for a few months, but learned as much as I could. This is my 1st Canjam, and it was awsome!

There are many positive things I'd like to mention but I'd rather focus on some very bad trend that struck me the most, especially on the IEM part, which has gone long for some time:
I felt utterly disgusted by a few snake oil vendors selling an universal IEM for $2000+ and even near the $4000 range. Sure, some costly marketing might have done to get some celebrities wearing their products.... so what? They are performers and entertainers.. not 'audiophiles'. But guess whos ending up pay for it? I feel sad for those being exploited by these vendors for their passion. But after all, it is capitalism and analogues things are happening everywhere.

Punching a hole at some particular spot on the IEM housing call it a technology that eliminates listening fatigue? Stuffing as many as divers as they can into it and call it a "world first"? Comon...

FYI, I and my friends struggled to hear any difference between the flagship and their "lesser" products, which are, btw, in the $1k to $3k range as well.

At last, I just want to say to my fellows who share the same passions as I do: WAKE UP!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back