CanJam NYC 2018 Impressions (February 17-18, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #286 of 335
For those of you who listened to the Sennheiser HD820, do you think that $2399 is a good value for the sound quality? I understand the R&D cost factor but it’s such a big increase from the HD800S. The closed aspect is appealing.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #287 of 335
DRJy0G6UIAE9LyF.jpg

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #290 of 335
That store is in the midst of a big renovation more than doubling its size. It won’t reopen until late 2018. The glass cube was removed to make the renovation easier. They’re temporarily in the old FAO Schwarz toy store nearby. As they say, wait until next year!

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #291 of 335
I got rather goofy selfie of myself and @Rob Watts . For the sake of Mr. Watts, who clearly possesses far more decorum than I do, we shall keep that non-public :). I was able to have a lovely lovely chat with Rob and the Chord and Bluebird crew at the Chord booth. Rob's session on Sunday afternoon was well-attended and entertaining.

I was happy to finally be able to listen to the Jerry Harvey line of IEMs. The folks there were great and helpful. JHA wasn't on the floor last year, which disappointed me. I found the variable bass stuff to be far too much and asked them to all be turned down to zero. Didn't expect that, but....

I didn't see Noble there - I enjoyed them last year - that was a disappointment.

The Campfire Audio crew - who I pestered last year extensively - were stupendous. Finally got some Vegas in my ears - alas, not for me. Quite boomy (and that coming from a Shure 846 fan). The Andromeda impressed me, but not enough to ditch my 846s.

The comply folks were fantastic. I'm a customer and a huge fan.

I don't know what I was expecting re: the Senn 820. I had my own modified 800 pair with me and it was kinda "no contest". Admittedly, they were protos still, but in theory the sound is locked in. The tradeoffs to go closed are high - as we all know.

On the closed front, I did pick up a pair of MrSpeakers Aeon Flow closed's. Great deal on a great pair of closed cans for the price IMHO/FWIW. Just wrapped about 150 hours of break-in on them and I look forward to some critical listening. BUSY room that was entirely full-up - quite impressive - maybe the busiest spot at the show!

I really enjoyed the Cayin crew. They were geeking out as much as me and were eager to test anything and everything that I had (admittedly esoteric) questions about. They even let me listen to the "not finished yet" work-in-process - which admittedly sounded like crap - but that was expected. Very honest of them to share and demo what's coming. The Cayin N5ii might be "the one" for me - we'll see. Given the low price point, I'm considering just picking one up for poops and giggles and keeping my fingers crossed on the firmware updates.

Wish I could say the same about the FiiO folks. I've been a long-time FiiO fan and have an ancient X5 v1 I use on planes. I tried to move to the X7 v2 last year, but it was still a bit too constrained for me technically. Many of the issues still haven't been sorted out many months after I sold mine.

Shout out to Erik at Audeze. He's a solid guy I've had the pleasure of meeting a couple times now - and he pulled my ass out of the fire with a 3.5 to 1/4 adapter when I was at the Chord booth. THANK YOU AGAIN, SIR!!!

It felt like there were far fewer portable player vendors this year. Last year Pioneer and Onkyo were there - no sign this cycle.

If I could share some feedback with the CJ/HF crew, I'd rather see the side rooms integrated in that big middle area instead of being "hidden away". I think some people didn't quite get that. But maybe they wanted things a bit quieter (not sure it succeeds, but logical attempt).

NET-NET, I had a great time for about four hours at the show listening to no end of stuff and talking to fellow ear-nerds :).

THANK YOU to the CanJam crew for all the hard work you put in to make this happen each year. See you in twelve months!

Xoxo,
Doody

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #292 of 335
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #293 of 335
All the whinging about the lines to get in - sheesh. Here's a secret for those who aren't in the know: SKIP SATURDAY. Basically zero lines on Sunday. WAY less people. MUCH more pleasant and useful. You can actually talk to vendors and listen to stuff.

FWIW,
Doody

Yeah, but then you're limited on what you can see and who you'll get to test out. One day really isn't enough if you're in the market to get to know the brands and listen to something before you spend a grand or more on IEM's.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:42 PM Post #294 of 335
Actially zero line from early afternoon saturday on too.

I got there late morning Saturday. Line? Yes. Went around the corner to the middle of the wall between the bathrooms. Did it move fast? Absolutely. I'm like What? to all those that bitched.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #295 of 335
Those are the SR1's. Apparently they are more refined than they were at the London show...and they're not done yet. They still have some work to be done on them. But they do sound GREAT.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #296 of 335

I got there late morning Saturday. Line? Yes. Went around the corner to the middle of the wall between the bathrooms. Did it move fast? Absolutely. I'm like What? to all those that bitched.

It wasn't that bad. It was just the initial influx.. There was no need to freak out and do all those posts about the line. And you're right, Saturday afternoon there was zero line at all.

Feb 25, 2018 at 4:54 PM Post #297 of 335
All the whinging about the lines to get in - sheesh. Here's a secret for those who aren't in the know: SKIP SATURDAY. Basically zero lines on Sunday. WAY less people. MUCH more pleasant and useful. You can actually talk to vendors and listen to stuff.

FWIW,
Doody

I went at 5pm on Saturday. Didn't really have to wait for anything other than a few minutes at the focal booth. Always an option, too.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:07 PM Post #299 of 335
If I could share some feedback with the CJ/HF crew, I'd rather see the side rooms integrated in that big middle area instead of being "hidden away". I think some people didn't quite get that. But maybe they wanted things a bit quieter (not sure it succeeds, but logical attempt).
Respectfully disagree...smaller listening rooms away from the main exhibit area are an oasis of quiet and permit some more critical listening. I thought the mix of main exhibit area and smaller rooms was very well-implemented.

Feb 25, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #300 of 335

It wasn't that bad. It was just the initial influx.. There was no need to freak out and do all those posts about the line. And you're right, Saturday afternoon there was zero line at all.

Luckily im local but I strolled in at about 3pm and immediately said hi to @icefalkon and did a quick lap and a cursory look at all the booths. Once I gathered my scouting report I went directly to what was in my 2018 list. The following Sunday I had all the time in the world to dilly dally from noon to 5. No muss no fuss. But if you come to an event in NYC and show up on time; expect a line. This is the birthplace of fashionably late. When God throws you lemons, you find a new god...Sunday is for closers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back