CanJam NYC 2018 Impressions (February 17-18, 2018)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #316 of 335
For those of you who listened to the Sennheiser HD820, do you think that $2399 is a good value for the sound quality?
These were the 2nd best headphones at the show behind their $60,000 flagship. Third place goes to the iBasso semi-open over ear prototypes. The spaciousness wasn't just really wide like its little open brother, while it could seem slightly less open, that may be due to it just being closed. A combination of placebo effect (expecting it to be closed in sound) and what Dan of MrSpeakers described which is hearing more of the room makes you feel it's more open than it is. The stereo placement was as accurate as it was for width. That's where it goes back to my trusting a mix on them. I really listened and couldn't find a thing wrong with them in an frequency range. Is it worth it? If money was zero object I would get those and probably wouldn't bother with any other headphones. Well, a Bluetooth portable NR set, probably the latest generation Sony that sounds the best, from what I'd heard. The fact that they are light, and so comfortable, the most comfortable Sennheiser or headphone in general that I'd worn (100% fully extended ear cups, of course) is a big deal. If you are going to wear them a long time, you want them to disappear on your head. The isolation is great and they're well built.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #317 of 335
Thank you, places I will never be able to afford to go, and see.
Never say never friend. Ironically enough Scotland is a place that I would LOVE to see before I die (I have Scottish heritage). I hope you can get to a CanJam one of these some days. The hobby has so many nice people in it.

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #319 of 335
Teh problem is those WAMM speakers are not musical, lol. They lack the fine micro and macro detail that a speaker needs to convey the emotions of a song. They smoothed out the top end with that fabric tweeter that they have gone to now that the son took over, but it's still a larger boom boom, sizzle sizzle type of speaker. Convey's an unrealistic and huge stage, but other than huge dynamics, I'll take a VAndestseen (which is what I own or a Tidal or a Rockport over these or Magico's any day of the week). Sorry, not trying to derail.

LOL. I remember visiting a store in Houston a couple decades ago that carried Wilsons. The salesman asked me what speakers I owned. I replied "original Quad ESLs," to which he said, "Well, I guess I'm not going to sell you any speakers!"

Feb 26, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #320 of 335
These were the 2nd best headphones at the show behind their $60,000 flagship. Third place goes to the iBasso semi-open over ear prototypes. The spaciousness wasn't just really wide like its little open brother, while it could seem slightly less open, that may be due to it just being closed. A combination of placebo effect (expecting it to be closed in sound) and what Dan of MrSpeakers described which is hearing more of the room makes you feel it's more open than it is. The stereo placement was as accurate as it was for width. That's where it goes back to my trusting a mix on them. I really listened and couldn't find a thing wrong with them in an frequency range. Is it worth it? If money was zero object I would get those and probably wouldn't bother with any other headphones. Well, a Bluetooth portable NR set, probably the latest generation Sony that sounds the best, from what I'd heard. The fact that they are light, and so comfortable, the most comfortable Sennheiser or headphone in general that I'd worn (100% fully extended ear cups, of course) is a big deal. If you are going to wear them a long time, you want them to disappear on your head. The isolation is great and they're well built.
After reading your very nice analysis I have one more thing I need to try when it's available.

Feb 26, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #321 of 335
There is definitely a market for Hi-Fi components for people for whom money is no object (e.g. https://www.wilsonaudio.com/products/wamm which comes in north of $600K). My theory is that the growing popularity of headphones is causing manufacturers who can to capitalize on their reputations by creating products that are tailored for that market. Sennheiser certainly has the reputation to do this.
Nominal Impedance: 3 ohms / minimum 1.77 ohms @ 310 Hz
Damn!

Feb 26, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #325 of 335
Just came across this video of this high school kid impressions. Very well spoken, he claims to be in the hobby for 6 months but you can tell he has done a lot of research, already had all the audiophile headfier lingo down Lol

Thanks for sharing your impressions.

Feb 27, 2018 at 8:50 AM Post #327 of 335
Never say never friend. Ironically enough Scotland is a place that I would LOVE to see before I die (I have Scottish heritage). I hope you can get to a CanJam one of these some days. The hobby has so many nice people in it.

I’m with you we need to set up a CanJam Inverness! I just did the genealogy test from AncestoryDNA and discovered Robert the Bruce is my 9th Great Grandfather. I’ve spent time and in Edinburgh, Loch Lommand, and Glasgow, absolutely love Scotland!

Feb 27, 2018 at 9:24 AM Post #328 of 335
I’m with you we need to set up a CanJam Inverness! I just did the genealogy test from AncestoryDNA and discovered Robert the Bruce is my 9th Great Grandfather. I’ve spent time and in Edinburgh, Loch Lommand, and Glasgow, absolutely love Scotland!
I am about 2 hours north of Inverness, on the Scottish moors, no neighbours, live in a Croft, 3 feet thick granite walls, would definitely attend Inverness Canjam!.

Feb 28, 2018 at 8:18 AM Post #330 of 335
Teh problem is those WAMM speakers are not musical, lol. They lack the fine micro and macro detail that a speaker needs to convey the emotions of a song. They smoothed out the top end with that fabric tweeter that they have gone to now that the son took over, but it's still a larger boom boom, sizzle sizzle type of speaker. Convey's an unrealistic and huge stage, but other than huge dynamics, I'll take a VAndestseen (which is what I own or a Tidal or a Rockport over these or Magico's any day of the week). Sorry, not trying to derail.

Haven't heard the WAMM, but I've heard the Alexandria and the Sabrina...couldn't agree more with the description! Boom, tizzy, uncoherent sounding mess.
I do like Vandys too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back