CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:04 PM Post #76 of 704
I assume you might mean less expensive, unless if you mean that the Singularity would be worth the extra cash if the TS-316 were 20% more expensive than it currently is. I can't get up there to try it, but I very much like prominent high quality bass which is why I wish I could give it a spin.

You are also the only one I really know who has been able to try both and give input, so I figured I'd get other impressions if possible since it never hurts.
Sorry my mistake. I just meant the Singularity is much more expensive and marginally better imo. It did handle bass very, very nicely for a single DD.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #77 of 704
Photo dump from day one. Fun times and great people.

Attachments

• IMG_0859.jpeg
    IMG_0859.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0858.jpeg
    IMG_0858.jpeg
    152.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0857.jpeg
    IMG_0857.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0855.jpeg
    IMG_0855.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0853.jpeg
    IMG_0853.jpeg
    72 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0852.jpeg
    IMG_0852.jpeg
    119.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0851.jpeg
    IMG_0851.jpeg
    132 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0850.jpeg
    IMG_0850.jpeg
    120 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0848.jpeg
    IMG_0848.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0844.jpeg
    IMG_0844.jpeg
    138 KB · Views: 0
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:24 PM Post #78 of 704
Canjammed even at 10:30am. Headfonia is flourishing.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #79 of 704
Caldera Closed kicks with Mass Kobo
IMG_1669.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:35 PM Post #80 of 704
20240309_150903.jpg

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #81 of 704
Note the lines at all the tables in the above picture, it was mobbed!

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #82 of 704
Just home from CanJam, it was quite a show this year! A few brief impressions:

• Raal Magna & Immanis impressed, as promised. Immanis more so than Magna, but both were amazing. If you’re looking for bass weight and body to the sound, you won’t find it here. But if you want clarity & openness beyond what even e-stats deliver, you’ve come to the right place.
  • Valkyria didn’t impress me quite as much as last year. Very midrangey with incredible clarity & dynamics. Similar to Utopia, but maybe a bit less balanced. Not sure why my impression this year is so different from last year - different chain, different ears? 🤷‍♂️
  • Caldera’s bass is at least equal to if not better than 1266 TC. Fight me.
  • Caldera Closed was a mixed bag. I could definitely hear the Caldera DNA in it, but it was quite different from Caldera Open. Bit more soundstagey than CO, but the treble seemed a bit peaky. The one I heard had thin pads on it, though, and I’m not overly fond of CO with the thin pads either so take my thoughts here with a grain of salt.
  • I really liked the looks of the new ZMF Aegis, though I didn’t have a chance to hear it with anything other than CO, so I can’t really comment on the sound.
  • Tungsten deserves every bit of the hype. Heard it on the HeadTrip amp and had to turn the volume DOWN a notch when I switched to Susvara. Very much in the same lane as ZMF Caldera; quite different from Susvara.
  • FIR Audio RN6 impressed every bit as much as the hype would suggest. Really well balanced, weighty sound with excellent timbre & clarity.
  • Canpur CP622B wasn’t my jam. Too midrangey & thin, didn’t line up at all with the reviews I’ve read (maybe I had the wrong tips on them?). Its little brother Canpur CP54E, on the other hand, at half the cost of its big brother, was a surprise hit. Solid Legend EVO / FatFreq competition.
  • Campfire Audio Trifecta was perhaps the biggest surprise of the day. I spent about 15 minutes listening to it just trying to understand what I was hearing. These do things I’ve never heard an iem do before, though a brief listen isn’t enough to figure out whether it’s revelatory or a gimmick that would get old fast. Definitely on my radar for further consideration, though.
  • Got to listen to Susvara on 4 or 5 different chains and think I finally understand why it is so beloved. It does wide open soundstage in such a holographic organic way that I think it may sound more like a e-stat or ribbon than it sounds like any other planar or dynamic.
  • Warwick Aperio did indeed come across as the most complete, even-keeled, “does absolutely everything well” system I’ve ever heard. Wide open soundstage? Check. Perfect timbre? Check. Deep dynamic bass? Check. Subbass rumble? Check. It does no wrong. I could easily be happy with just this and nothing else if I didn’t already have a rack full of gear.
  • HE-1 was every bit as amazing as its legend suggests. It made average to above average recordings sound almost like binaural recordings. I listened to my favorite song of all time and it sounded as live and impactful as I’ve ever heard it. I can’t fathom spending $70K on it, nonetheless it probably deserves its reputation as THE best headphone in the world. *SPECIAL THANKS to @szore for sharing his demo slot with me - it was great meeting you!
  • Led Zeppelin II on reel-to-reel via WA33 + 1266 TC was positively jaw dropping. I’ve never heard reel-to-reel before, the sense of being just 1 step removed from the live performance is very real. It’s a shame the cost of entry and availability of tapes puts this out of reach of anyone without very deep pockets. I’m grateful to the Abyss guys for lugging that to NYC for us, though, it was a real treat to hear.
  • I really appreciated the quiet environment of the DCS room, and really want to thank them for providing a space that is actually conducive to analytical listening. I spent some good time there with Susvara & 1266 TC powered by the Rossini DAC + Lina clock & amp and came away once again amazed at how of all the myriad options & technologies for DACs, DCS's ring DAC is probably the most reliably "audibly different" than the rest.
My biggest takeaways are probably the question whether Campfire Trifecta is a revelation or a gimmick, and that there is almost certainly a Susvara in my future.

It was great seeing & meeting many of you there, I’m only sorry I didn’t have it in me to stick around longer to hang out with my fellow head-fi nutjobs. :wink: By early afternoon that crowd gets to me, my battery runs out, and I have to retreat back to my cave. :wink:

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #83 of 704
Everyone. This is a must do. ADV is taking ear impressions for free with a purchase of custom tips. Worth doing because it will be done correctly and you will get stl files later

IMG_2404.jpeg

Look at these beautiful ear impressions.

IMG_2405.jpeg
How come they did not do it in SoCal CanJam, maybe next year, I will definitely buy one, or two.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #84 of 704
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #85 of 704
Mar 9, 2024 at 6:18 PM Post #86 of 704
Trifecta is the star of the show for me today.

0309241800b.jpg

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:19 PM Post #87 of 704
Trifecta is the star of the show for me today.

0309241800b.jpg
Same. If not the star, certainly the thing that most surprised me. These do things no other IEM has ever done. Not entirely sure what to make of that, but I'm certainly intrigued and motivated to dig deeper into them.

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #88 of 704
Same. If not the star, certainly the thing that most surprised me. These do things no other IEM has ever done. Not entirely sure what to make of that, but I'm certainly intrigued and motivated to dig deeper into them.

I can see some people not liking these, but they're unique for sure, no arguing that. I'm going to spend my morning with them. And talk myself out of asking what the show discount is.

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #89 of 704
Which amp are you using to drive the Susvara in the hotel room?
The Vera Audio P150/600 RS, a Purifi-based class D speaker amp with highly adjustable gain and a beefy power supply. At home, I stack an Audio Research tube pre in front of it, but for the trip I'm just using my Benchmark DAC3. It sounds quite excellent for a "portable" system, but virtually all of the best systems I heard today at the show ran tubes, and any reference headphone rig probably needs some glowing glass at least somewhere in the chain... IMHO, of course.

desktop1.jpg

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #90 of 704
This is the single best Headphone AMP I have ever heard. It's not even close. I got to hear it with the Audio Technica ATH-AWKG and Susvara. It is so good that you need to be aware of the source files you feed it because it will render bad music as it is. The subbbass nuance is amazing.

ATH.jpeg
Thank you. I’ve been so curious about this one. 🤝

Users who are viewing this thread

Back