CanJam New York 2024 Impressions Thread (March 9-10, 2024)
Mar 29, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #662 of 707
Loving all the impressions. After hearing most of the things on my list I ran back through trying to capture video before the show floor closed.

Great video!

You preferred the Sus connected to the CFA-3 over the Stax 9000 connected to the Grand Cayman? That is really good company.

How did you feel about the Tungsten connected to the CFA-3?

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2024 at 2:35 PM Post #664 of 707
Loving all the impressions. After hearing most of the things on my list I ran back through trying to capture video before the show floor closed.

So you're Mid-Fi's HF username!

At Canjam NYC 2022, someone on the floor stopped me to ask if I was "Mid-Fi Guy" and if he could have a selfie with me. Had to kindly inform him I'm not you but I can see where he's coming from lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 29, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #665 of 707
Great video!

You preferred the Sus connected to the CFA-3 over the Stax 9000 connected to the Grand Cayman? That is really good company.

How did you feel about the Tungsten connected to the CFA-3?

Thanks man, and good question. For whatever reason I had such a great time during my extended session with the Stax 9000 and the humble ES8 that it kind of overshadowed the other estat amps. Sounds crazy I know but it could've also been as simple as the Woo room was quieter than the busy Headamp room that had a line waiting behind me. I don't doubt the Grand Cayman is a killer amp too.

Going off a 3-week old memory but the sticking points are the Tungsten on the CFA sounded bold & authoritative, with exceptional clarity. The Headamp effortlessly drove it as I cranked the volume. That said I preferred the Susvara pairing more than either that or the 1266.

Nice video! You have a very soothing voice, is that why your username is what it is? 😂

Hah! Thanks but no, it's a really old dumb inside joke with my friends. 😁

So you're Mid-Fi's HF username!

At Canjam NYC 2022, someone on the floor stopped me to ask if I was "Mid-Fi Guy" and if he could have a selfie with me. Had to kindly inform him I'm not you but I can see where he's coming from lol :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Bahaha!! No lie I was visiting South Carolina and someone spotted me and introduced themself. I was shocked but felt super cool in front of my daughter.

In hindsight you should've said you were me and acted like a complete jerk 😂

Mar 29, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #666 of 707
Still, I rarely watch videos from the beginning to the end—it's more fast-forward, but yours, man, the first three seconds and your voice got me watching all the way.
And the video itself is great, too...it was fun!

Cheers!

Mar 30, 2024 at 4:29 AM Post #668 of 707
Can't believe CanJam NYC '24 was only 2+ weeks ago, and now the SGP show is just around the corner. So, I had to hurry up and finish my CanJam report sooner. For those who are interested, enjoy the read! Lots of stuff to cover :)

Now, the wait begins for CanJam NYC '25, and like The Audio-Terminator: I'll be back!

canjam_nyc-2024-039-showroom-39.jpg
Well, here is my memory with you.

Image_20240329_222713.jpeg

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #669 of 707
Did you draw all those T-Rex with headphones stickers back in like 2015? I think that was at RMAF, my first CanJam 😁 I think I still have one.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #670 of 707

Apr 3, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #671 of 707
Agree with you on some IEM impressions, disagree with others.

I wish I knew how good the Titan was before I spent so much time with Storm and Singularity, which I'm glad I did, but I wanted to dedicate more time to Titan after I listened to my 1st song with it, but only got through about 5 songs because a line was forming around me and I've been at the Symphonium table too long at that point.

The Titan was one of the few IEMs I thought was worth the high but not outrageous asking price. I disagree that they're an improved MMK3 (more refined maybe), but they are definitely a great all-arounder IEM like MMK3, but with a lot more boosted bass. High quality, well-controlled boosted bass. A true audiophile basshead IEM. I'd say, the best basshead IEM in the world once it releases hopefully within a month.

Symphonium guys were awesome and the highlight booth/table at CanJam for me too. They're such passionate audiophiles, are chill, and really cared about getting the best audition possible for attendees and visitors to their table. Before going to CanJam, I didn't know much about them or their IEMs, but have heard good things. Now, I'm a fan. Going to start buying their IEMs, starting with Titan.
Hey there! How is the fit compared to the Helios / Helios SE? Is it such a chunky boy?

Apr 4, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #672 of 707
Post 1 of 2

Welp, the CanJam Singapore preview video is uploaded, which means I'm late to posting my impressions again. Work has been super busy since CanJam NYC, and I'm only halfway done editing my photos from the trip. I'll post my impressions for now and work on photos more in the next week. Maybe these impressions will help someone make some decisions for future CanJam events.

Ironically, I'm typing this draft up in Notepad++ and the last thing I worked on in this program was the CanJam SoCal 2023 impressions, haha.

As it was for CanJam SoCal, this CanJam event was more like a vacation plan for me and muinarc. Unlike CanJam SoCal though, the trip to NYC was more touristy and adventure-filled.

I'll post Flickr links to my photos here if you're interested in where I visited. For now, I only have 3 full days' worth of photos edited.
Day 1:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/miceblue/g4b5V67276

Day 4 (Monday after CanJam weekend):
https://www.flickr.com/gp/miceblue/5gB9Tk048g

Day 5:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/miceblue/76X604gn99

Day 6:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/miceblue/qg76yt5o21

Day 7:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/miceblue/771mPLmr48

CanJam NYC has a special place in my heart. Back in 2017, I was working with FiiO for the event and we had a lot of good memories from the show. I was a student at the time and it was my first ever solo CanJam event. For CanJam NYC 2018 I was also working with FiiO for the event and I had a blast then too. Both of these events were in February, so the winter chills of NYC were still in effect.

Between then and now, I've had a few people come up to me and say they remember me from the NYC events, so it's been really cool to catch up with acquaintances and friends.

CanJam 2024 was a different experience since I came here as an attendee this time, and the event was a month later in March when the weather has warmed up. Coming as an attendee, I had a blast catching up with friends and folks from the other side of the table and even tying in a bit of my work in conversations.

There also happened to be the Tri-State Leukemia and Lymphoma (LLS) blood cancer conference going on at the same time as CanJam on the Saturday (which is the field I work in), so it was kind of weird taking time off from work to coincidentally end up at a conference related to work.

City
SoHo:
We opted to stay in a hotel in SoHo (South of Houston Street) since we weren't too fond of the idea of being around all of the Times Square peoples where CanJam was being held, and where I had stayed previously in past CanJam NYC events. There was a protest going on during CanJam weekend that we luckily avoided. There is a lot to do in SoHo, and a lot of them are either walking distance, or a couple subway stations away, so this was a really pleasant location to stay at.
01.jpg

One World Trade Center:
On the second-to-last day of our stay, we went to the One World Observatory. That view was definitely worth the ticket price. We went to Tokyo Skytree in Japan a few years ago and this view was very much akin to that: tall glass windows with a 360-degree view of the city and New Jersey. I've seen photos of views from other towers in NYC such as the one from the Empire State Building and the views from there can't compare. We timed the viewing to be at sunset, so that was a breathtaking scene to see.
02.jpg

Subway:
We also opted to take the subway system (via unlimited 7-day MTA tap card over OMNY). That was fun. We got to experience a lot of the subway stuff we've seen on social media/movies. There were a few rats along the tracks, scary-looking long track corridors, graffiti somehow painted in the middle of the subway tunnels, suspicious-looking zombie apocalypse gates/doors, NYC police activity that halted train schedules, a power outage at one station, street performers, ancient and newer train cars, got lost on which subways to take, and the wonderful smells of the system. We didn't see any influencers filming, people break dancing in the trains, nor any Spidermen jumping across the tracks unfortunately.
03.jpg

There was a serious incident that weekend however that even made its way into the local SoCal news outlets.
04.jpg

Street Photography:
I got into photography because of this hobby, and more specifically product photography. The street photography scene in NYC though is freaking amazing. The graffiti and general aesthetics of the streets of Manhattan are great photography subjects. If I lived here, I would definitely be more into street photography. It was really cool seeing the closed shutter doors of businesses plastered with graffiti, and it gives the streets a character even at night. The graffiti scene in Los Angeles looks pretty lame in comparison, unless you count the unfinished skyscraper that was in the news a few months ago.
05.jpg

Also, I dunno what the steam is coming from the sewers and random construction columns, but there were a lot of them, as typically shown in movies. Are these just ventilation holes from the subway system?
06.jpg

Food
Bagels:
I think NYC is known for their bagels, and boy did we have some good bagels from Popup Bagels. They were so airy, divine, and steaming hot fresh! We got some schmears but didn't realize how much they give. These were probably my favorite food of the trip since I haven't had anything like that before.
07.jpg

Vegan options:
One thing that struck us both is how many vegan establishments there are in Manhattan. In Los Angeles, there's a few vegan places here and there, but in Manhattan, you could walk a couple blocks and find a vegan restaurant; it was kind of surreal to see. We had some vegan soft serve and a milkshake made with oatmilk and those were delish. We also went to a vegan matcha cafe that had all things matcha green tea and I'm still salivating over how good the vegan matcha brownie was. Oddly enough, they were selling some products from Erewhon (nohwere) from the Hollywood area, which is that stupid expensive, celebrity-endorsed grocery store with the Hailey Bieber $20 smoothie and $40 turmeric water.
08.jpg

Pizza:
So, pizza in NYC is pretty established. I came across a post from Reddit about Lombardi's Pizza, so that's one pizza place we went to. They make a really solid Neapolitan-style inspired pizza, as they claim to be the first pizza restaurant in America. We've both been to a handful of Naples-certified pizzerias (as per the Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana, AVPN), and this was a nice spin on that style. "Buddy's" Cake Boss pizza had a great balance of bitter arugula, salty prosciutto, and sweet mozzarella and basil; the rustic double pepperoni had small cupped pepperoni that was a flavor explosion in your mouth. We tried Grandma Grace's meatballs and they were super flavorful and had a nice fennel flavor. I also got an Italian soda that was a blast from the past of my childhood.
09.jpg

After CanJam, we went to Scarr's pizza since it was within walking distance of our hotel and we wanted more pizza. This is a more classic take on what I think people say NY-style pizza is compared to what Lombardi's offers. We opted to dine-in rather than to do the NY take-out and we really digged the vibes in the restaurant. I just looked them up and apparently, they have a location in LA too!
10.jpg

Bakeries:
Manhattan has so many bakeries! I come from Seattle and I'm used to having a bunch of bakeries around the area. In LA, small bakeries (not just places that sell baked goods) are kind of an afterthought and they're pretty hard to come by. I'm one of those people who thinks Portos is severely overrated; they're just OK. We went to a handful of French bakeries throughout our trip. Lafayette was pretty good, but the Kouign-Amons from Dominique Ansel Bakery were to die for! I haven't had a good Kouign-Amann in years since visiting Seattle. I brought back 2 boxes of those for my coworkers (one of whom is from France) and they approve the Kouign-Amann.
11.jpg

Pastrami:
Katz's Delicatessen's pastrami was super juicy, smokey, and tender! I tried the corned beef sandwich and wasn't as impressed with it compared to the pastrami. The bread they use doesn't hold the sandwich very well at all and I had to knife-and-fork 3/4 of the sandwich. The ordering system is ridiculous too and it was a nightmare to experience; I don't want to go through that again.
12.jpg

Cantonese:
Throughout this trip, I heard a bunch of Cantonese Chinese conversations. I wasn't aware of how many Cantonese-speaking people there are in NYC and I'm kind of curious as to where they came from. I know San Francisco, Seattle, and Vancouver Canada were big locations for people from Guangdong and Hong Kong to travel to, but NYC is kind of a mystery to me; I don't think they went through Ellis Island, but this will be a history homework assignment for me later. It was weird for me to go into the Arc'teryx store in SoHo and every customer there was speaking Cantonese. LA has more Mandarin-speaking people than Cantonese, and Seattle is becoming more 2nd/3rd/4th generation Chinese-Americans with the language being lost.

Anyway, We wanted to get Chinese food, so we ended up getting dim sum from Tim Ho Wan. This was quite a culinary experience for me as I've never had a more upscale dim sum experience before, and was pleasantly surprised with the quality and taste of the food. They were playing 80s Canto-pop music overhead and a lot of the customers were speaking Canto. I also just found out they have a location in SoCal and it's interesting reading the reviews for that location. SoCal has such a high density of Asian foods that Tim Ho Wan is pretty expensive for what you get compared to what other restaurants in the area offer. I liked their yuenyeung HK-style milk tea coffee though; that was a refreshing beverage to have in the morning.
13.jpg

Starbucks:
There are also so many Starbucks around. I was surprised at the number of locations they had.

The Roastery was a disappointment to me. I've been to the Seattle, Chicago, and Tokyo locations and they are all their own buildings with giant facades and intricate interiors. The one in NY was just the first floor (plus mezzanine) and basement of some Yext corporate building next to a Google building and was very plain-Jane-looking. If you walked along the street, you wouldn't even notice the Roastery signage because it's so nonchalant and blends in with all of the other buildings' signs.

This location did all the roastery stuff like the other roasteries, except they had very limited merchandise and seemed pretty vacant overall. They were open for at least an hour by the time we got there, but the counters were mostly empty, so it was really weird. It wasn't until we passed by the Reserve store at the Empire State Building later that night that all the merch was found. I guess the Empire State Building is the face to the Roastery? Seattle and Chicago both have the Roastery merch within their Roasteries (e.g. the mugs have the coordinates and building designs of the Roastery locations); NY's branding was all Empire State Building, totally ignoring the Roastery itself. I guess that makes sense since the actual Roastery's location is pretty lame.
14.jpg

15.jpg

Irish Pubs:
There were so many of these around too. I think I saw more Irish pubs around Manhattan in the 7 nights I stayed here than in the 7 years I've been living in LA! Since Saint Patrick's Day was coming up, I got an Irish sausage and champ dish at one pub, and a Black Rock Irish stout at another. Good stuff!
16.jpg

Anyways, that was a long detour from CanJam itself and was more of my experience in NYC this time around. Onwards to CanJam.

I'll list the impressions by company in alphabetical order. Head-Fi posts are limited to 25 reduced-resolution photos per post, so if you're interested in the full-resolution photo album, you can check it out here:
https://www.flickr.com/gp/miceblue/51Xz97427j

Vibes:
This CanJam event was quite loud, and unlike previous CanJam NYC events I've attended, the whole show floor was occupied, including the side rooms. Previously, the walls were mostly used for storage and only a couple of the rooms were used for exhibitors; this time everything was filled. There was a lot of people there on Saturday, but Sunday was a good chance to hear things more critically with a quieter venue, which is where most of these impressions were made.
17.jpg
^ it's a @jude

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg
^ The seminars were quite interesting this time around. I attended a couple of the more technical presentations, including the unannounced one at the dCS room. If you're interested in the talks, I recorded them here:

^ https://www.head-fi.org/threads/susan-rogers-highlights-from-our-session-at-canjam-nyc.972294/

The SP3000T paired with the Novus was a stunning combo, and was probably my favorite system at the show.
21.jpg

Normally I don't like demoing in-ears because they either 1) have way too much bass or 2) don't fit my ears. The Novus was surprising lightweight and had a good fit in my ears.

The two were meant to be paired together (with the Novus being tuned to be used with SP3000T), so I'm not sure how one or the other sounds individually. Being a Tube-based system, along with a traditional A&K sound, the overall sound signature was pretty warm, but not overly so for my tastes. The bass was well extended, midrange very lush-sounding, upper-midrange free of any harshness, and treble that was very smooth but not too rolled-off.

Soundstaging was average for an in-ear in my experience and seemed more intimate/medium than large.

The instrument separation wasn't the best I've heard in an in-ear system, but it was quite good overall. I ended up listening to the pair for a few full songs actually, which normally never happens to me with in-ears.

I'm curious to know how this fares for an MDAQS score; I'm guessing it's pretty high.

Bravo A&K!
22.jpg

I heard and liked The Composer headphone at CanJam SoCal last year, but hearing it again on Sunday when it was quieter really made it shine.
23.jpg

I like the AKG K 701's sound, and that kind of sound signature is my preference for headphones. The Focal Clear, HiFiMAN HE560 and Arya Organic, and STAX Lambda-series headphones all have a similar kind of tuning, and The Composer is no exception.

The bass sounds pretty neutral and linear to me, which is how I find the Clear and STAX Lambda-series headphones to sound too. If you're looking for a warm sound, these definitely don't have that.

The mids are slightly on the shouty side to me, but my ears are accustomed to that sound, as evident on the other headphones mentioned above too. They're shouty, but tolerable to my ears.

The treble has some sparkle in it, but it's not overdone to me.

Soundstage is kind of mid-sized-sounding, which is my preference as well. It doesn't sound expansive, nor does it sound intimate.

The instrument separation is also pretty good on the Ferrum DAC/Full Score One amp.

Design-wise, The Composer seems very well thought-out both in terms of material choices and functionality.

Were it not for the steep price, I would probably consider buying one to replace the K 701.

I had zero expectations for Creative as I haven't even heard the CAL before.

What I didn't know is that the Aurvana Ace 2 has the xMEMS driver in it. When I tried them, I was pretty impressed by their sound. I think the xMEMS driver itself sounds pretty bright, and I typically like the sound of dynamic driver in in-ear designs. With the two paired together, they sounded pretty competent overall but I could still tell there was some discrepancy in the crossover.

The company representative at their booth didn't seem to understand that it was a hybrid driver design, meaning it was also being paired with a dynamic driver. He kept talking about the xMEMS driver and it wasn't until I peered over his shoulder than the sign behind him was saying it has both a dynamic and an xMEMS driver.

For it being $150, I can't say too many bad things about it. It didn't do anything seriously wrong for me to not recommend them to someone looking for a TWS in-ear under $200.
24.jpg

The dCS Lina stack has been at a bunch of CanJam shows, and I never got the chance to listen to it. I finally heard it at this event with the Spirit Torino something and Meze Liric. I liked what I was hearing, but the stack is way out of my budget to even consider buying the system.

I can't say much other than it presented headphones with utmost transparency. The background was quite black with terrific instrument separation, there wasn't a hint of coloration to me, and the overall ability for it to image was incredible.

I don't like the feeling of the volume knob though. It has that kind of soft-plastic touch to it that feels like it would get worn with use over time, which is a shame considering the price tag it carries.
25.jpg

Continued on the next post!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 7:54 AM Post #673 of 707
Post 2 of 2
01.jpg

I'm not sure if Drop+Grell gathered feedback from past events, but they really improved this headphone overall. At CanJam SoCal last year, I noted that the earpads and/or earcup design did not flex back enough to make a proper seal on my head, specifically the bottom-back part of my ear, which makes the bass go bye-bye. This area in particular seems to be problematic for other headphones too such as the Abyss Diana and are why I'd never consider purchasing one even if the sound was the best in the world.

This time around, the earpads were able to create a seal on my head and what a difference that made to the sound. The headphone sounded pretty Harman-like overall in terms of the sound signature.

Because of how the physical driver is within the earcup, the presentation of the sound was pretty unique and I'm not sure if I like it. The sound sounded like it was being played from speakers pointed from my feet to my head. It's kind of weird, but definitely not something I'm used to hearing from a headphone.

02.jpg
^ It was cool to see Axel Grell himself at the event interacting with guests

03.jpg
^ the photo isn't well-focused, but I had a hard time getting it to focus even while manually focusing

I tried the Dunu x Headphones.com Mirai in-ear again. I didn't like how it sounded at CanJam SoCal last year, being too crispy at the 9-10 kHz region, but this time around I used my own source (FiiO BTR15) with its stock cable, and it sounded quite good to me.

The standard super thick white cable it comes with feels cheap compared to the extremely thin Litz cable that I'm used to using with my UE RR. I'm not a fan of how it feels, nor looks.

The overall sound signature sounded pretty Harman-like to me and it offered pretty good instrument separation and soundstaging abilities. The crispy sound I was hearing previously was subdued and no longer bothered me on this setup. Maybe I will consider buying a Mirai to go with my Mirai car after all!

04.jpg

I was super curious about the cassette player FiiO had at their table. I know cassette tapes are basically the opposite of hi-fi audio and audiophile stuff in general, but the nostalgia of the cassette player and the revival of the medium from the Sony Walkman scenes from Guardians of the Galaxy are an entertaining thought to me.

They had a Freddie Mercury cassette to demo and I enjoyed listening to a few songs on it; I miss hitting rewind or fast forward on these players when I was younger and there didn't appear to be any wow or flutter sounds on this player.

Apparently, the pre-order sales and interest in the product were so strong that they're backordered and can't keep up with the demand. For now, only the baby-blue color is available as it was originally marketed for females and fashion stuff, but they were showcasing a panda one and a red one.
05.jpg
^ I'll wait to buy the red one for now. I already purchased some cassette tapes from record store shopping in this NYC trip

06.jpg

At CanJam SoCal last year, I heard the Arya Organic and I didn't really know how to evaluate its sound since it was on an unfamiliar system. Trying it out this time around with my own source on the other hand, I can definitely see the appeal for it. It reminds me a lot of the HE560 I liked back when it was still around except it has a little too much brightness and sizzle up top for me.

The bass and midrange sound pretty linear to me though, and the soundstaging and instrument separation are great.

Actually looking back at my previous impressions, I wrote: I tried the Aryia Organic and it sounded good from the bass up until the upper-midrange, which was almost sibilant bright.

07.jpg
^ Tourbillon clock

08.jpg

I can't take this company seriously, but their designs are definitely eye-catching. The nipple volume controls are not very practical at all since they're adjusted individually per channel. The sound of the Audeze CRBN sounded fine, but I had no idea what the audio chain was and I had to turn the nipples to the 12-2 o'clock positions.

09.jpg
^ I didn't see very many photos from the back of the mannequin/headphone stand/amp, but here it is

10.jpg

I previously really enjoyed the Liric from past CanJam shows. The Liric 2 was nothing short of spectacular to me too. If I were to buy a closed-back headphone, I gravitate towards the Liric (probably the Liric 2 because I like the idea of having swappable earpads). I can't compare the two headphones directly, but from memory, the Liric 2's tuning seemed more balanced and even overall in terms of sound compared to the original Liric. They both have excellent instrument separation and are among the best I've heard in a closed-back headphone.

Meze has done a wonderful job over the years at making headphones that sound great, look great, and feel great. I think they're an exemplary company in that regard and their products actually feel like premium products.

11.jpg

There were two headphones at this station. There was one with black baffles and orange earcups, and another with white baffles and carbon fiber-looking earcups. I'm not sure what the differences were between the two, if any, but the orange earcup one had a cable that was fraying and wasn't working very well. Both were hooked up to Mass Kobo amps (orange on to the smaller one, white one to the 465-019).

A friend asked if we could listen to them to confirm the hype and I must say, they sounded pretty good overall. I don't know too much about them, but they didn't have anything offensive-sounding. The bass seemed well-extended and linear, the midrange was pretty smooth with a bit of warmth, the upper-midrange wasn't offensive to me, and the treble was detailed without sounding sizzley.

I think the Mass Kobo amps have a pretty black background, and that paired well with the white headphone was a good combo.

I really like the concept Danny had for the original SR-1 headphone. It was a novel headphone design and using a novel technology that hadn't been used in headphone before (I believe). However, I wasn't a huge fan of its sound, similar to the HEDDphone: it sounded too bright and crispy to me.
12.jpg

13.jpg
Unfortunately for the RAAL 1995 Magna (2-ribbon) and Immanis (3-ribbon), I found the same to be true for their sound. For whatever reason, the sound coming from Danny's amp (even with the correct settings) sounded overwhelmingly bright compared to the sound coming out from the iFi Pro iCan setup with the correct settings. I had to do a double-take because it didn't seem right how different the two systems sounded.

With the two systems, I liked the sound of the Magna on the iFi over the Immanis on the RAAL amp just because of how unbelievably bright it was sounding; I literally could not listen to a whole song with the Immanis because of how shrill it sounded.

Being able to listen to the Magna, apart from the still bright, but manageable sound, the instrument separation and soundstaging were very good overall.

14.jpg
15.jpg
SonicEdge is a new company that's using ultrasonic MEMS devices coupled with a hexagonal attenuator and custom amplifier to create a volume velocity source that modulates ultrasonic vibrations into the audible frequency band. It's quite an interesting and novel technology that's much better explained in their seminar that I recorded in the previous post.

Similar to xMEMS when they debuted at CanJam, SonicEdge had a rough proof-of-concept prototype at their table. Unlike xMEMS though, this prototype sounded pretty wideband overall and covered most of the audible frequency range, including bass. I was pleasantly surprised with their demo unit and I'm really looking forward to seeing how this technology is implemented in the future. It had the same sharp edge kind of sound to it probably in part due to how fast the "transducers" are relative to other in-ear technologies.
16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

The clear top of the DX9 anniversary edition is super photogenic. I got photos of the unit at CanJam SoCal last year but didn't get a chance to listen to it since the booth was always occupied. This time around I got to hear it with a Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro X and HD800S.

Maybe the two headphones weren't a good combo with the DX9, or there was something wrong with the unit. I had the volume at 0.0 dB FS and could still comfortably listen to their selection of music. I had to double check all the settings to make sure I was hearing things correctly. Even on high gain mode, I could comfortably listen to the music at -12.0 db FS.

Also the music sounded kind of mono to me, or as if a major crossfeed DSP was applied to the music. Things just didn't sound right.
19.jpg

20.jpg

I tried the WA7e for the first time. I'm not sure what the amp output specifications are, or if the USB input is limited, but the unit at the show needed to have the volume knob turned up to near-maximum, which is concerning. I don't even listen to headphones at loud volumes at shows and the volume knob was oftentimes past the 2 o'clock position for my loudly-mastered music.

Apart from that, the unit sounded pretty good overall. I think it's a universal agreement that these WA7 units are extremely aesthetic on a desk, and for people who have limited desk space, an all-in-one solution is a Godsend. Having the same aesthetic and functionality for an electrostatic headphone setup is an amazing option to have.

21.jpg

This was at the iFi Audio booth paired with the iDSD Diablo 2. I previously heard the xMEMS 3D-printed in-ears at other CanJam events and found them pretty bright-sounding overall. The combo at this event was still pretty bright-sounding, even compared to the prototype SonicEdge made for the show.

I think the concept behind the MEMS driver is quite interesting and I'm still looking forward to seeing how their driver gets adopted in the industry. The Creative Aurvana Ace 2's implementation of the xMEMS driver was better-sounding than just the xMEMS driver itself like in the above photo.

I will just say this up front: ZMF Audio's general house tuning is not for me. I normally don't listen to Zach's headphones, but I decided to give them a try after not hearing one of them in years. His listening rooms are always packed full of people so it was kind of hard to find a time when it wasn't as busy.

22.jpg
The Bokeh Open was not to my liking at all on the beastly Reference OTL amp. It sounded very edgy, sharp, and warm at the same time to me. I tried to listen to a handful of songs with it in an attempt to see if it was a song selection, but it really did not sound good to me at all and was probably the biggest bust of the show for me. I was pretty disappointed given that the headphone itself is the best-looking one to me, and its name is tied to photography. I really wanted to like it, but it just sounded plain bad to me.

23.jpg
On the same system, the Atrium on the other hand, now that headphone sounded great. It didn't quite have the same warm tuning that I'm not a fan of from ZMF, so it was a nice change of pace to me and I was pleasantly surprised. Overall it still had a warm sound signature, but it was tastefully done. The bass seemed well-textured, the midrange pretty lush-sounding, the upper-midrange almost shouty but tolerable to me (like I mentioned in the previous post in Austrian Audio), and the treble pretty polite-sounding.

Instrument separation was great and the soundstage was pretty large actually, above average for an open-back to me and had great depth.

I'm not sure how the Wi-Fi was this time around, but it seemed that most exhibitors had working music and playlists available, which is highly appreciated. At previous CanJam events, trying to work Tidal or Quobuz on the Wi-Fi networks has been a nightmare. You'd sit down at an exhibitor's system, put on the headphones, press play, and you'd get the spinning loading circle for 10 seconds as you try to adjust the volume knob to make sure you're not actually playing any audio. Then you put the headphones back on the stand and just walk away being disappointed that you couldn't demo said system. I'm glad exhibitors, or the Wi-Fi, were better equipped for this show.

I'm part of the AAMML group, so I have to have an anime-related reference in here somewhere.
24.jpg
^ Found someone with a Fubuki hololive sweater!

Thank you so much to the Head-Fi crew for making this event possible. As the CanJam event came to a close, it was yet another bittersweet feeling. On the one hand, the event was filled with a lot of exciting stuff, a lot of people to talk to and reconnect with, and a lot of new music I got to hear and enjoy. On the other hand, these events are so much fun and is more like a retreat than a headphone convention (as I tell my non-audiophile friends, family, and coworkers), that it's sad to go back to work the next few days.

I hope these posts were entertaining to read, or at least peruse through, and/or found some of the impressions helpful. Thank you for taking the time to look at these posts, and hope to see you at a future CanJam event!
25.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #674 of 707
I'm not sure if Drop+Grell gathered feedback from past events, but they really improved this headphone overall. At CanJam SoCal last year, I noted that the earpads and/or earcup design did not flex back enough to make a proper seal on my head, specifically the bottom-back part of my ear, which makes the bass go bye-bye. This area in particular seems to be problematic for other headphones too such as the Abyss Diana and are why I'd never consider purchasing one even if the sound was the best in the world.

This time around, the earpads were able to create a seal on my head and what a difference that made to the sound. The headphone sounded pretty Harman-like overall in terms of the sound signature.

Because of how the physical driver is within the earcup, the presentation of the sound was pretty unique and I'm not sure if I like it. The sound sounded like it was being played from speakers pointed from my feet to my head. It's kind of weird, but definitely not something I'm used to hearing from a headphone.
Thanks for your impressions.
I'm seriously considering buying them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back