CanJam London 2023 Impressions Thread
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #211 of 463
Nah, they did allow people to handle it:

1692600503703.png 1692600522100.png 1692600552140.png
1692600574559.png 1692600604777.png 1692600619543.png
Satoshi from final was there to share more information about the 6 years of R&D involving a collaboration with a famous acoustic engineering lab in Kyushu University to study HRTF responses and more beyond just the headphones and drivers. It weighs ~220 g, is extremely comfortable despite not looking so. Shame we could not plug it in to listen to it though!
It looks absolutely atrocious O.o

220g is quite special though.
Well this instantly killed all my interest in it.

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #212 of 463
It looks absolutely atrocious O.o

220g is quite special though.
Well this instantly killed all my interest in it.
It does look like some stripped-down headphone skeleton, but we have to be open for innovation. If it is comfy and sounds good, who cares? :)

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:15 AM Post #213 of 463
A few years back when I was working with K&S Distribution (Finals UK distributor) we had a prototype of the D8000

It ended up being nothing like the finished product, so I'd be careful judging on such an early prototype.

I think it was there to show off their new lightweight driver.

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:43 AM Post #215 of 463
Nah, they did allow people to handle it:

Satoshi from final was there to share more information about the 6 years of R&D involving a collaboration with a famous acoustic engineering lab in Kyushu University to study HRTF responses and more beyond just the headphones and drivers. It weighs ~220 g, is extremely comfortable despite not looking so. Shame we could not plug it in to listen to it though!
Interesting mesh like pads.
Very interesting design (to avoid reflections?) would love to know more about them and of course listen to it.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 3:45 AM Post #216 of 463
Yeah. Why the change from the Chicago setup..? DCS was there, too.
I imagine it's because Convince Me Audio recently compared the HE-1 to Aperio and considered that the Aperio took the lead when paired with a proper dac. And now, the Empire strikes back :)

Aug 21, 2023 at 3:51 AM Post #218 of 463
I imagine it's because Convince Me Audio recently compared the HE-1 to Aperio and considered that the Aperio took the lead when paired with a proper dac. And now, the Empire strikes back :)
wait what happened, why would Convince me Audio's opinion of HE-1 affect it's presence at the show?

Aug 21, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #220 of 463
My first headphone show and very much a noob. I've owned a couple of headphone amps - Whammy and DV337SE for some years but not used them much. Just two pairs of headphones - ancient HD580 and Sony ...XM2 noise cancelling. Stopped serious listening on loudspeakers some time ago - hoping to move to a detached place. So a decent pair of closed back required. Not interested in IEM. Spent many hours watching Youtube videos and liked what I was hearing about ZMF.
Planned to visit the show for 4-5 hours Sunday but ended up going for both days and using a B&B.
Nice venue. Was a little surprised nowhere to leave my small rucsac, but sensibly left MacBook at home so parked bag by organisers desk. Not too many light fingered people there anyway in the depths of the smart hotel.

I tried various headphones out in the main hall. Hifiman - Didn't those models with huge ear space. Nothing impressed me particularly there. I tried a pair of Meze Liric. Female vocal had (for me) something nasty going on in the mids. Could only focus on the problem and not the music. Suprised me as not a budget model. Tried some DC Aeon 2 Noire - quite liked them. Tried the Audeze LCD/XC that I had heard much about. Didn't like the weight and discounting that I didn't think I would enjoy long listening sessions. Tried LCD 5 pretty good but quite noisy down there for trying open cans. Focal - tried briefly Celestee. Not bad.

I went to ZMF's room upstairs expecting a queue to listen to a few headphones. No queue and lots of headphones. Zach and Bevin and their team were wonderful. So friendly and helpful.
The room was quiet compared to the large hall and I started off with their prototype phones due to be released in the coming month/s and price expected in region of $1000.
I thought they were very very good for that money. I then tried VC and Atrium. I couldn't get on with the Atrium. Loved the VC though and kept going between them and the prototypes. I had a very quick listen to the Caldera which were very good indeed but open back though I think I heard Zach say they are working on a closed.

I spent hours in that room. I think if I'd heard only the prototype I might have bought a pair but it became obvious comparing them with VC that the latter had more of the magic and you would expect it with the price difference. In the end I shrugged off thoughts about being in the dog house when I told my wife, and came away with a lovely pair of VC.

Never spent this much on a single item of hifi and some little used items will be up for sale to get back in my wife's good books.

Note to Zach and Bevin - could you bring a wider range of classical, baroque especially and jazz next time? Was very happy listening to Yes- Roundabout tracks. Good material for headphone testing. I believe you are making something rather special. Enjoyed meeting you and the team.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #221 of 463
What would 'REC' indicate..
Will it have an ADC functon?

Could be short for 'receiving' or similar. On the M15 there's a light to indicate that it is connected to a source, and then a separate light to indicate a data stream (i.e. it is playing).

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2023 at 4:44 AM Post #223 of 463
What would 'REC' indicate..
Will it have an ADC functon?

Screenshot_20230820-114249_Samsung Internet.jpg

It has an AKM chip for DAC purposes, and an aditional Cirrus chip for ADC purposes - so yes, it has ADC functionality.

I'm really looking forward to this coming out, it looks really interesting.

Aug 21, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #224 of 463
Any impressions of the new Astell&Kern UW100 MK II?
Sadly when I came by towards the end of the show, the charge had run out and they must have forgotten to charge it. So all I have are photos:

20230820_141757~2.jpg

20230820_141727~3.jpg

20230820_141742~2.jpg

Fit was fine, and in their defense most people were just trying out the DAPs and the Aura which sounded like a more neutral VE Phonix:

20230820_141304~2.jpg

20230820_141320~2.jpg

It's smooth and resolving, albeit the new VE 10 handily bested it in both metrics and was the best new IEMs at the show for me:
20230820_123057~2.jpg

20230820_123121~2.jpg

Aug 21, 2023 at 5:01 AM Post #225 of 463
Ah. I only heard Aperio with it's own DAC, as well lol :\ But I liked HE-1 vanilla over Aperio vanilla. The Warwicks are too sharp/piercing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back