CanJam London 2017 Impressions Thread (July 15-16, 2017)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2017 at 5:19 PM Post #16 of 147
if u attended it many are more cursious about it04 than the already established it03
The It04 is even better, better texture and mids at the very least and a big detail step up.

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #17 of 147
Today my "mission" was to try several IEM to find the best match for my A&K SP1000 SS.

- The LCD-i4 surprisingly needed more power than the SP1000 can provide. It more power hungry than my "big" HE-X ! Volume was loud enough, but sound was "flat" out of the SP1000 (I could not try balanced since Audeze do not propose a balanced cable, which is STUPID). The LCD-i4 definitively need an external amp ! Powered by the HUGO 2 if became a totally different animal !

- Very very disapointed by the sound of the Empire Ears Zeus XR ! And I did not finded it confortable, with the adele option is it really BIG.

- 64 Audio U18 and Fourté were very pleasant, and confortable. U18 more accurate and Fourté, more... fun. But the fun of the fourte IMO is reached at the price of a lack of reality. They add something that is not in the recording... to please us :wink:

- the SHURE KSE 1500 electrostatic again was my final choice. They are as enjoyable as the fourte while being Faithful to the reality of the recording. No artificial input in the sound. My first reaction when I heard the SHURE out of my SP1000 was "HOW SWEET !" Finally my SP1000 has find his perfect match and is 100% musical. And then when I listened to the intro of Mahler 3rd symphony I was shocked by the extreme energy and Bass that this system can provide. It can be a Sweety or a Monster...depend of the music. Plus they are so small that they are super confortable. They fit 100% inside the ear.

AND SO....I BOUGHT TODAY ON THE SHOW A SHURE KSE1500 :ksc75smile:

IMG_5332.JPG

So, I failed in my quest to find an IEML as good as the SHURE (for the SP1000) that will not need an extra amplifier. It seems that this extra energizer box is the price to pay to get such a sweeeet, punchy and accurate sound !

IMG_5310.jpg IMG_5302.jpg IMG_5297.jpg

Jul 15, 2017 at 6:18 PM Post #18 of 147
The It04 is even better, better texture and mids at the very least and a big detail step up.

Was it on sale, it just a demo version? Anyone listen to the new Fiio X7ii if it was on the Fiio stand?

Jul 15, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #20 of 147
Where's the first shot of a MDR-Z1R?

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #21 of 147
Jul 16, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #23 of 147
I am green of envy. Anyone that could give a listen to the FlareAudiosPros? Have great fun.

Jul 16, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #24 of 147
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at CanJam today.
  • Auditioned the Shangri-La System which was beautiful. Though I bloody hope so for that price!
  • Was awed by the style and design of the Kennerton equipment
  • Simply loved the BeyerDynamic DT 1990s and thought the team were a lot of fun. They have some great products.
  • Tried the Hugo 2 and compared it with the Mojo (it was immediately clear that the H2 was better. Though, again, I hope so at that price!)
  • Enjoyed chatting with the Chasing the Dragon team. Ask Mike Valentine to play you the same track in Stereo and then Binaural. He's also got some gorgeous music on sale.
  • Compared the Sennheiser HD 650 and 800s with my own travel pair (DT 770s).
  • And much more...

974129IMG1008eee.jpg

Thanks for the photo of the stand Kennerton; Here is the link for the detailed explanation of the exposed material.

https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/n...m-fischer-at-ifa.732814/page-88#post-13602976

Jul 16, 2017 at 7:50 AM Post #25 of 147

IH8EwPv.jpg

A Schiit Mjolnir 2 with the Gungnir Multibit. As an owner of the DAC myself, I can highly recommend it to anyone at the show today for demo. It's at the Schiit Audio/MrSpeakers/Dekoni booth run by Mark over at Electromod.

asnvEal.jpg

One of Dekoni's pads. A perforated one that reminds me of the pads on my Focal Utopia.

5P1S2pz.jpg

This was my second time hearing the Schiit Yggdrasil and I walked away with the same impressions as last time. It is a drier sound than my Gumby, but quite a step up in just how clean and analytical it sounds - while retaining a natural tone across the board.

W9AbMS6.jpg

i1FCt8u.jpg

I listened to the Questyle Gold Stack with the Focal Utopia at their dual-booth. I felt that the Questyle, while it had neutral midrange reproduction, had an accentuated low end - definitely a more weighty experience of the bass of the Utopia than I'm used to.

4nfkf9Z.jpg

7mzV4X4.jpg

More Dekoni pads in their very stationary shop (in a good way) packaging.
LLblF0P.jpg

The lower-treble peak of the Susvara made it a bit painful for me to listen to, falling directly into where I'm sensitive. They had a HE-1000 V2 plugged into the same amp, and when I switched over it was like dipping your feet into a cool stream of water after walking in hot sand. I am told, however, that Hifiman's usage of the older amp does not do the Susvara justice - but that they had some mixup at DHL so they weren't able to use their source that was meant to be paired with the new $6000 headphones.
KFYWnUJ.jpg

That being said, I listened to it out of this amp as well and found it similarly sharp in the treble.
SBMtltt.jpg

fc035537-f9bf-4962-8748-444ba2524944
xuleNZA.jpg

A really nice surprise for me. This DAC/Amp combo does not even have a final chassis yet (this is a 3D printed placeholder) but it sounds quite incredible. It fully drove a pair of Focal Utopias and has such a detailed but natural sound to it that neither leans into warm nor bright territory. It left me wanting to hear more as, despite the Yggdrasil being quite a bit more analytical and revealing - this had a "sweet" sound to it by comparison that was very apparent to me as I went through familiar tracks on Tidal.

khHqGtn.jpg

With my recent intense interest in tube amplifiers, and recent purchase of a Feliks Audio Elise from a gent here on Head-fi, I was looking forward to their booth quite a bit. Their first event in the UK, the brothers at Feliks Audio wished that their father could have joined them (the man who started the company with forty years of experience) but admitted that he was too elderly to travel.

The near-identical looking Euphoria and Elise were my main attention-holders. Basically, the Elise has a warmer and more "tube-y" sound while the Euphoria has a cleaner, more analytical and brighter sound with wider staging and more intricate detail retrieval. With these differences, it honestly becomes a matter of preference and taste between the two - as at least one CanJam goer preferred the Elise. I, personally, preferred the Euphoria - especially with the ZMF Eikon and Focal Utopia, as it does so well with their desire to present detail to the listener. I hope to have one in for review so I can compare it to my Elise and do some tube-rolling as well.
qiLpYXg.jpg

The new ZMF Eikon variant, using camphor wood, that Zach from ZMF Headphones sent to the guys at Feliks Audio for their booth. This headphone pairs very well with OTL tube amplifiers.

---------------------------

Overall, I enjoyed CanJam this year but I must admit that I missed some of the vendors from last year - particularly Cavalli Audio and Moon Audio. This is purely selfish on my part, but I wanted to hear more tube amplifier offerings - which Cavalli have with the Liquid Tungsten and Moon Audio have with the Dragon Inspire IHA-1. Very nicely run event though and I hope to see it again next year.

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2017 at 9:06 AM Post #26 of 147

- Very very disapointed by the sound of the Empire Ears Zeus XR ! And I did not finded it confortable, with the adele option is it really BIG.

- 64 Audio U18 and Fourté were very pleasant, and confortable. U18 more accurate and Fourté, more... fun. But the fun of the fourte IMO is reached at the price of a lack of reality. They add something that is not in the recording... to please us :wink:

Totally agree with you here. I actually really like the U18. Very detailed and balanced to my ears. So much better than the A12's. The A12's feels like a bass cannon compared to them. The fourte was also very good. Wish they could have custom versions. The Zeus on the other hand... was not a very pleasant experience. Not really sure what the hype was. Sound was very mid centric, very harsh and not at all worth the price tag. I prefer the R over the XIV, but even then, I feel it's just not worth the money compared to the U18.

Of all the IEM's I've listened to (didn't get a chance to listen to the KSE 1500, I would rank them at least for me:

64 Audio U18
64 Audio Fourte
Noble Katana
Noble Kaiser Encore
Sennheiser IE800
Empire Ears Zeus XR

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #28 of 147
The coolest thing happened today, woke up this morning and thought to my self, should have bought the Ibasso CB13 cable. So I jumped on the train and 30mins later I'm at CanJam. Bumped into the fella that let me listen to his Andromedas, this time I asked his name, the one and only Third Eye. Needless to say, he is a legend and I've ordered the Andromeda. So I popped over to the Ibasso table to get my cable and the guys asked if I had entered the raffle. I hadn't so promptly filled out a ticket and 20mins later, I'm bringing home the Ito3 wow. Massive thanks to Marcus and John who were both really helpful and friendly. Can't wait to see those three guys next year.
CanJam, great event.

Jul 16, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #29 of 147
Random thoughts,

Shangri La has best treble/cymbals i ever heard, made a Zeppelin song ive heard 100 times sound like new.
Mr Speakers Electrostatics had big bass distortion in the Left Cup, pre-production i understand (and apparently the music i was listening to "Wasn't electrostatic music" lol) not doing the company any favours.
Stax L300 were not there to demo, and the music on offer wasn't exactly my thing anyway.
Hifiman edition X sounds as good as i remember, Still not sure i trust their build quality though.
Still prefer Elears over Utopias, was interested in Octave V16 amp till i found out the price :money_mouth:

Sonoma model one was nice, comfortable and very natural sounding, im pretty sure everyone had the Amp turned up to the max. and im not sure how $5000 translates to £5000, ah well.

Orpheus is a work of art, again not familiar with the music on offer so cant really judge

Jul 16, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #30 of 147
Myself and two friends had a great day. We got to the show about 11.00 and didn't leave until gone six!
Attended a very interesting seminar on the future of headphones. A quite extraordinary panel of legends including Jude. Particularly enjoyed what Rob Watts had to say. He exudes passion for his calling. As does Axel Grell of Sennheiser.
Noble have knocked out of of the park again for me with the Kaiser Encore. I keep telling myself that my K10 is a classic but that is only because I cannot afford the E. Things have moved on.
The stars of the day for me and my friends were the Mojo, which I already own and the Smyth Realiser which I backed on Kickstarter. :) For me the Mojo is so good that I do not need better. Personally I question the Hugo 2 but I will leave that debate to better ears.
I have to say that I heard set ups costing thousands that I would not entertain even at an affordable price. Price certainly does not guarantee that a product will float your particular boat.
A great day out though. One thought. I wonder if there is any way of getting hold of the show guide in advance. I've just been sitting here looking through it thinking darn. Missed that!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back