CanJam London 2016 (August 13-14, 2016)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 6, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #601 of 688
  What's the easiest way to get from St. Pancras International Station to the venue? Hop on the underground from King's cross and take the black line to Waterloo?

Either take the Picadilly Line (Dark Blue) to Leicester Square then switch to the Northern Line (Black) to Waterloo

or

Victoria Line (Light blue) to Green Park then swtich to Jubilee Line (Grey) to Waterloo.

Both should be around 15-20 minutes.

Aug 7, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #603 of 688
My suggested route to Waterloo from St. Pancras is a little bit different.

• From Kings Cross St. Pancras take the Victoria Line southbound.  
    The Kings Cross St. Pancras Tube station is huge and complicated, so there are many ways to get from your Eurostar to a given Tube platform.  There's plenty of signage, but in case it's helpful I'll describe one particular way.

• Coming from the street end of the St. Pancras side of the station you would go past the first set of gates to the Tube (the Hammersmith & City / Circle Line ones) and continue to the next (Victoria and Piccadilly line ones).
    • Go down the Victoria Line escalator, and your southbound platform will be on the left.
    • If you have time before a train arrives, move on down to roughly the middle of the platform.

• At Oxford Circus, change to the Bakerloo Line.
    • As you step off the train at Oxford Circus, imagine that the platform for the Bakerloo Line in the direction you need to go is exactly ahead of you.  Because it is – just a few dozen metres away.  Walk in that direction, going around obstacles as necessary (when in doubt, go around them to the right).
    • Congratulations, you're on the Bakerloo Line platform headed towards Waterloo.  Board a train.

• Alight at Waterloo.

Stepping off the train at Waterloo is easy.  Finding your way to the surface world can be a little bit messy.  Here's one way to do it.

• Basically, we're going to follow signs that say "Waterloo" or "Rail" with the double red ziggags that mean "train services rather than Tube services."
    • Find your way from the Bakerloo platform to the big main corridor on your level, and then turn right, and take the escalators to the level above.
    • From that level turn slightly left and go out the Tube gates.
    • Now go somewhat left again on this level and go up the next escalator to the Waterloo (National Rail) train station.

• Get to the CanJam venue.

I have not actually been to this hotel, but looking at where it is, here is how I would do it.
    (This is from the train platforms level of Waterloo Station.  If you took a different route and exited at street level, then follow the big streets anticlockwise and you should be fine.)

• With the train platforms behind you, head to the far, far left (past the highest-number train platforms) and out the side door that leads to a pedestrian walkway over the street.
    • Continue all the way along this walkway and down the stairs at the end.
    • The stairs have pointed you in the right direction; keep going that way (along A3200 / York Road).
    • After a couple of blocks the street you're walking alongside diverts in a big loop around the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge.
    • Find your way in (I have no advice, as I haven't been there)
    • Congratulations, you're at CanJam!

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:26 AM Post #604 of 688

My suggested route to Waterloo from St. Pancras is a little bit different.

• From Kings Cross St. Pancras take the Victoria Line southbound.  
    The Kings Cross St. Pancras Tube station is huge and complicated, so there are many ways to get from your Eurostar to a given Tube platform.  There's plenty of signage, but in case it's helpful I'll describe one particular way.

• Coming from the street end of the St. Pancras side of the station you would go past the first set of gates to the Tube (the Hammersmith & City / Circle Line ones) and continue to the next (Victoria and Piccadilly line ones).
    • Go down the Victoria Line escalator, and your southbound platform will be on the left.
    • If you have time before a train arrives, move on down to roughly the middle of the platform.

• At Oxford Circus, change to the Bakerloo Line.
    • As you step off the train at Oxford Circus, imagine that the platform for the Bakerloo Line in the direction you need to go is exactly ahead of you.  Because it is – just a few dozen metres away.  Walk in that direction, going around obstacles as necessary (when in doubt, go around them to the right).
    • Congratulations, you're on the Bakerloo Line platform headed towards Waterloo.  Board a train.

• Alight at Waterloo.

Stepping off the train at Waterloo is easy.  Finding your way to the surface world can be a little bit messy.  Here's one way to do it.

• Basically, we're going to follow signs that say "Waterloo" or "Rail" with the double red ziggags that mean "train services rather than Tube services."
    • Find your way from the Bakerloo platform to the big main corridor on your level, and then turn right, and take the escalators to the level above.
    • From that level turn slightly left and go out the Tube gates.
    • Now go somewhat left again on this level and go up the next escalator to the Waterloo (National Rail) train station.

• Get to the CanJam venue.

I have not actually been to this hotel, but looking at where it is, here is how I would do it.
    (This is from the train platforms level of Waterloo Station.  If you took a different route and exited at street level, then follow the big streets anticlockwise and you should be fine.)

• With the train platforms behind you, head to the far, far left (past the highest-number train platforms) and out the side door that leads to a pedestrian walkway over the street.
    • Continue all the way along this walkway and down the stairs at the end.
    • The stairs have pointed you in the right direction; keep going that way (along A3200 / York Road).
    • After a couple of blocks the street you're walking alongside diverts in a big loop around the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge.
    • Find your way in (I have no advice, as I haven't been there)
    • Congratulations, you're at CanJam!

This is great advice. I'd just add one thing. If the weather is good, and you have time, and you want a tiny bit of sight-seeing on the way, it's worth getting off one stop early at Embankment and walking across the Thames on the Golden Jubilee Footbridge.

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:47 AM Post #605 of 688
  This is great advice. I'd just add one thing. If the weather is good, and you have time, and you want a tiny bit of sight-seeing on the way, it's worth getting off one stop early at Embankment and walking across the Thames on the Golden Jubilee Footbridge.

Or two stops early at Charing Cross, go out toward Trafalgar Square (exit 7 I think), admire Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery, get exceptional coffee at Notes Trafalgar Square very near the National Gallery, and proceed downhill (Trafalgar Square on your right, Charing Cross a bit away on your left) toward the river, eventually passing Embankment, and proceed along the footbridge.

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:56 AM Post #606 of 688
If you're carrying stuff, be aware that there is quite a long walk between Victoria and Jubilee lines at Green Park. Picadilly to Northern won't be any quicker, but you'll be sat down for most of that time. 

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:14 AM Post #607 of 688
Ha. I guess we're on the same Eurostar then: 9117 departing in Brussels at 8:52?

Thanks for all the tips. Should be easy enough to get to Waterloo it seems.

I think I'm on the earlier one. Brussels-Midi/Zuid 7:56 (Saturday) :p

Aug 7, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #611 of 688
  Is there a full list of exhibitors and their location yet? 

The full exhibitor list is in the third post of the thread....every CanJam show attendee will get an Official Show Guide which will included full exhibitors listings and show locations.

Really looking forward to this. BUT, more importantly, How do I get my Canjam London 2016 badge?  :)

Done!

Aug 7, 2016 at 5:03 PM Post #612 of 688

1. With the train platforms behind you, head to the far, far left (past the highest-number train platforms) and out the side door that leads to a pedestrian walkway over the street.
  2. Continue all the way along this walkway and down the stairs at the end.
  3. The stairs have pointed you in the right direction; keep going that way (along A3200 / York Road).
  4. After a couple of blocks the street you're walking alongside diverts in a big loop around the Park Plaza Westminster Bridge.
  5. Find your way in (I have no advice, as I haven't been there)
  6. Congratulations, you're at CanJam!

Unfortunately the walkway over the road is closed for redevelopment at the moment and they put in steps in both directions.

Make sure you take the left stairs which will point you in the right direction.

Phil

Aug 7, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #613 of 688
Recently completed my studies in the UK and wasn't sure if I'd have left before CanJam takes place but just few days ago decided that I'd be here for the next two weeks so I'm absolutely excited to be able to make it! Asked rather late, but was glad when I heard from @third_eye that a volunteer opening became available so I'll be joining some of you at the registration desk on Saturday morning. Looking forward to meeting friends from last year (CanJam London 2015 and UK meet in Cambridge) and also new ones! Also, may I have that cool CanJam London 2016 badge please? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 7, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #614 of 688
  Recently completed my studies in the UK and wasn't sure if I'd have left before CanJam takes place but just few days ago decided that I'd be here for the next two weeks so I'm absolutely excited to be able to make it! Asked rather late, but was glad when I heard from @third_eye that a volunteer opening became available so I'll be joining some of you at the registration desk on Saturday morning. Looking forward to meeting friends from last year (CanJam London 2015 and UK meet in Cambridge) and also new ones! Also, may I have that cool CanJam London 2016 badge please? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Look forward to seeing you again, badge added!
beerchug.gif

Aug 8, 2016 at 12:39 AM Post #615 of 688
Unfortunately the walkway over the road is closed for redevelopment at the moment and they put in steps in both directions.

Make sure you take the left stairs which will point you in the right direction.

Phil

Ouch, I didn't notice that!  Thanks for the correction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back