CanJam Global 2018 Event Thread (NYC, Singapore, SoCal, London, RMAF, Shanghai)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #841 of 1,303
Jack had one of each IEM when the doors opened at 10am. I wouldn't count on it, but he's reading this thread and perhaps he'll weigh in.

Edit- pardon, this is the CanJam thread, I haven't seen him on here.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #842 of 1,303
Same with the VOCE, only paired with blue hawaii, a combo I wasn't impressed, and I suspect it was the amp.

I have an Ether, and with proper amping, can dig down to the bass.
You suspect the BHSE is at fault? Sorry to break the news to you, but the BHSE is definitely a proper amp. To each his own, but this is most ridiculous and contrary to what I've been reading from. many others impressions about the VOCE/BHSE combo. Why is the amp suspect? Because you planners "with proper amping dig down to the bass"? SMH

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #843 of 1,303
Jack had one of each IEM when the doors opened at 10am. I wouldn't count on it, but he's reading this thread and perhaps he'll weigh in.

Edit- pardon, this is the CanJam thread, I haven't seen him on here.
Did you try any of the 64 Audio IEMs? Curious about the Trios.

Apr 7, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #844 of 1,303
You suspect the BHSE is at fault? Sorry to break the news to you, but the BHSE is definitely a proper amp. To each his own, but this is most ridiculous and contrary to what I've been reading from. many others impressions about the VOCE/BHSE combo. Why is the amp suspect? Because you planners "with proper amping dig down to the bass"? SMH
Because I've heard the sr009 is comparable to the VOCE, with the VOCE being more neutral, but the details were lacking, the mids and treble lacked energy and the bass was anemic. I would suspect the performance of an electrostat to surpass a planar by sheer laws of physics, all other things being equal.
The SR009 from a Stax amp seemed more dynamic, and a what-should-be-inferior Ether (non-flow) open, being powered by a MAC 1900 seemed more impressive.
I felt similarly (unimpressed) about the SR009 and the Woo pairing. Even funnier, there was obvious distortion in the SR009 and Woo at slightly elevated volume, which is also supposed to be top-shelf amp. I really think Stax would have been better off displaying the SR009 with the Stax srm-007, if at least to do a side-by-side comparison with the Woo and prove my hearing memory wrong. The VOCE only had the BH too. I think it was a poor choice to only provide one amp to display these high end electrostats.

If you like to let other people listen to a headphone/amp combination and decide how it sounds for you, that is definitely a valid and efficient choice. I'd rather listen to the pairings myself, even if it requires more work. I don't see why reputation, price, and other peoples' opinions should be accurate measures of what I find to be pleasurable listening.

Apr 7, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #846 of 1,303
Sorry guys, Ping Pong will be cancelled because there is a private event tonight, and the available ping pong table is only for hotel guests. Next year hopefully!

Currently some of us are at nearby The Dolly Llama - feel free to come on over if you’d like! Info here:

611 S Spring St
Los Angeles CA 90014
United States

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2018 at 12:51 AM Post #847 of 1,303
Sorry guys, Ping Pong will be cancelled because there is a private event tonight, and the available ping pong table is only for hotel guests. Next year hopefully!

Currently some of us are at nearby The Dolly Llama - feel free to come on over if you’d like! Info here:

611 S Spring St
Los Angeles CA 90014
United States

Phew. I was bummed I couldn't make it out tonight.
Luckily I didn't miss anything :beyersmile:

Next time I'll claim the championship from you!

Apr 8, 2018 at 1:48 AM Post #848 of 1,303
You suspect the BHSE is at fault? Sorry to break the news to you, but the BHSE is definitely a proper amp. To each his own, but this is most ridiculous and contrary to what I've been reading from. many others impressions about the VOCE/BHSE combo.
I've had a chance to spend time listening to the Blue Hawaii paired with both the VOCE and the Stax SR009 on two different occasions.. The VOCE sounds great! My personal preference is still for the SR009.

Same with the VOCE, only paired with blue hawaii, a combo I wasn't impressed, and I suspect it was the amp.
Sorry @squee116, but it wasn't the amp you didn't like. .....it's the VOCE.

BTW - An SR-009 was available to listen with the Blue Hawaii, but a little later in the day. Side by side - I prefer the SR-009
The Blue Hawaii is an amazing amp, period.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #849 of 1,303
Well had a great time, got to visit with @moedawg140, glad to see you keeping on sir; the team at Empire Ears always a treat @Jack Vang; @Dellwolf was a pleasure meeting you, congrats on school you will do fine in life. @Shanling, Franke thanks so much for all the info and time spent with the M0 fantastic device for us concerned with ultimate portability and finally and I apologize for not noting your name but the gentlemen at the Chord display who graciously gave me a micro usb charging cable as mine grew legs at work on Friday that was very nice of you and much appreciated.

On the gear I tried, my intent was to only look at 4 things to curb my spending. I had a budget, stayed within it and broke out in cold sweats trying to buy more in the end prevailed. I listened to the entire Empire Ears hybrid line, I own a CEIM Spartan and was looking for a complementary piece and settled on Bravado. Ticked all the boxes but was very impressed how each step up the line brought more clarity and resolution but stayed true to the house sound of that line. I've been sold on their sound and implementation since 2016 and honestly nicest folks you could ever deal with. The Legend is a beast so nice but I had that damn budget.

M0 posted my impressions in the dedicated thread and IEM Lounge thread, for those of us wanting portability this is the one and the price performance is out of the world.

Hugo2, OMG after listening to this the resolution is off the charts, I heard notes and nuances in songs I know really really well that I had not noticed and it's small. The filter's employed were subtle changes in signature mainly affecting the higher end spectrum, so simple just like Mojo. I could easily replace my desktop with just this unit and be happy. I searched for someone willing to buy a kidney to get one but found no takers, probably a good thing for my marriage.

Schiit staff, nice, tolerant easy going people, they just keep doing what they do with no pretense of anything else, it's so refreshing to see that in a business model no BS just solid gear. The small stack they had for the price was outstanding but I had just listened to Hugo and was still in awe so took no notes. Kind of like grocery shopping after having a wonderful meal.

Tyll was doing an interview on the Meze TOTL headphone, will spell the name wrong so not trying, Will be looking for that out of rabid curiosity, can't afford it but will still dream.

@third_eye great job, talked to your kids briefly, nice polite boys you should be proud(noticed the last name that's how I connected the dots).

All in all great time,wish the show was still in OC, yep I'm selfish don't like driving in LA, and if you've never been to one you need to go.

Enjoy day 2 everyone!

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #850 of 1,303
Yep, the way to handle this show financially is to limit yourself to about four dealers and then run for the door. I got out cheap, just a Phantom, but I was really itching to buy the AK copper to go with my AK stainless steel. If I had stayed, I'm sure I would have bought three or four more things. My wife is tolerant, and in fact said I came home about $3500 under what she expected me to spend (I knew I should have popped for the AK!), but I felt good keeping it under control. Great show, nice people.

Apr 8, 2018 at 2:01 PM Post #851 of 1,303
Apr 8, 2018 at 2:02 PM Post #852 of 1,303
Apr 8, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #854 of 1,303
I had a great time at CanJam 2018, it was great to see everyone! @moedawg140, it was great meeting you, and thanks to all the guys running the booth who were super friendly!

Overall great time, and I'm stoked to get to the next CanJam!

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:06 AM Post #855 of 1,303
Should have pre event meet up next time.

Saw so many familiar faces outside the event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back