CanJam Chicago 2022 (June 18-19, 2022)
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 23, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #136 of 356
Hey guys, excited to announce that CEntrance is coming back to CANJAM in Chicago! After all, this is our home, so we will enjoy seeing the enthusiastic Chicago Head-Fi crowd after a brief pause!

Are you coming to the show on June 18th? I hope you are, in either case, here is a quick preview. We are planning to show the following gear:

1. HiFi-M8 V2 is a portable headphone amplifier and D/A converter for audio enthusiasts on the move. It offers Bluetooth support, four headphone outputs, LED VU meters, USB-C, and many other features. The updated device fills an important gap for audiophiles, who like to listen to music with a variety of headphones. The new product has two balanced and two balanced outputs for extra flexibility while jumping between sensitive and hard-to-drive headphone models. Powered by a rechargeable battery and charges from USB-C. HiFi-M8 V2 works with smartphones and tablets running Android and Apple iOS, as well as MacOS and Windows-based computers. It supports all standard sampling rates including 24-bit/44.1 kHz up to 32-bit/384 kHz, and DSD. An ASIO driver is available for Windows 10. The original HiFi-M8, released in 2013, garnered critical acclaim from CNET, HiFi+, Part Time Audiophile, and many other respected publications. Inner Fidelity placed it on its ‘Wall of Fame’ for portable headphone amplifiers.

CEntrance engineers worked very hard to offer “pitch-black noise floor” for users of Balanced Armature In-Ear-Monitors (IEM). HiFi-M8 V2 was designed to eliminate audible hiss by using low-noise D/A converters and amplifiers. All of this, combined with the ability to deliver high power for overhead headphones, makes it a flexible, unique portable tool.

HiFi-M8V2-noir-1--1200.jpg

HiFi-M8 V2 by CEntrance

2. Ampersand is a pure analogue, portable amp with 6W of output power. It stacks nicely with the HiFi-M8 and delivers the the extra juice for the hard-to-drive planar headphones. It’s built-in rechargeable battery will make sure your beloved headphones will keep singing as you move around the house, or travel around the world. Don’t have travel plans? Ampersand is happy sitting on your desk or bedside table, powered through its USB-C power jack. Our innovative battery charging circuitry measures the battery voltage once every second and turns on charging only when necessary. This allows you to keep Ampersand plugged-in indefinitely, without harming its high-quality, long-life Lithium-Polymer battery. Ampersand features balanced and single-ended connections on input and output. Enjoy total flexibility to use any equipment in your arsenal — DACs, DAPs and any other sources. With modern connection options, such as 3.5 mm, 4.4 mm PENTACONN and 4-pin XLR you’d be hard pressed to find audio equipment that’s not compatible with Ampersand. Use a balanced source with unbalanced headphones, or the other way around — your choice. extensively tested with with Susvara, HE-6, Aeon Noir, Stealth, HEDD and many other headphones, Ampersand is the only portable amp to unleash the power of your planars!

Ampersand-with-DCA Stealth-1200x900.jpg

Ampersand V2 by CEntrance

3. DACmini 2 is a D/A converter and a headphone amplifier that stacks with Apple Mac mini, reducing clutter and adding premium sound to the modern desktop. The new model retains all the features of its award-winning predecessor, but adds balanced 4.4 mm outputs, a premium-quality Bluetooth input with aptX and LDAC, and a pair of XLR jacks for driving desktop speakers. DACmini 2’s precision-machined, aircraft aluminum body matches the outline of the new Apple Mac mini and Mac Studio, creating a slick look on the desk, or in the listening room. The original DACmini, released in 2013, remained on the Stereophile Magazine’s list of recommended audio components for years. It received numerous awards for its pristine sounding D/A converter, powerful headphone amplifier, ease of use, and clean presentation. Now that Apple introduced a new desktop computer line-up based on the powerful M1 CPU, CEntrance updated its DACmini, adding a slew of modern features and taking the audio quality and convenience to the next level. Like its predecessor, DACmini 2 comes with a number of innovations. Gone is the external power supply – DACmini 2 takes its power from USB, reducing cable clutter on the desk. Dual headphone outputs let the user select from standard or balanced headphone cables for lower noise and cross-talk. Volume is adjusted with a large analog volume knob that feels smooth and satisfying, thanks to the internal hydraulic pressure absorbing system. The volume is controlled in the digital domain for lowest distortion and perfect channel balance. DACmini offers a USB audio input with up to 768 kHz sampling rate, Balanced Bluetooth input with aptX and LDAC, as well as Optical and Coaxial SPDIF inputs for wide compatibility. Fixed or variable-level outputs are available, including RCA, 3.5mm and balanced XLR connectors. Custom-tuned EQ controls from our award-wining HiFi-M8 allow fine-tuning the sound of any headphones.

DACmini2-controls-1200.jpg

During the product design phase, CEntrance surveyed its user base and received hundreds of comments and feature requests. Based on this feedback, CEntrance made sure DACmini 2 was compatible with Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android and Linux. It could be used with computers, tablets, phones, and network servers. Its balanced Bluetooth implementation, first introduced with award-winning BlueDAC adds aptX HD and LDAC formats for pristine audio reproduction that sounds like a wired connection. Users can stream audio to DACmini 2 from their phones. The new DACmini 2 has an MSRP of $1850 USD. While CEntrance arranges production, customers may still preorder the unit for only $1099 (first 50 customers: $999) at the CEntrance website. All preorders will ship in September 2022.

DACmini-stack-full-1200.png

Note: Mac mini and Mac Studio not included.

4. Surprise. We may have a special surprise for everybody, but you have to tune in to the CANJAM preview video from Head-fi to learn about it!

Hit me up with any questions, either by replying here or emailing through our site, http://centrance.com. There is a "contact us" form at the bottom. Let me know your thoughts!

Cheers,

Michael Goodman
CEntrance

May 23, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #137 of 356
May 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #138 of 356
Are you storing music on the Poly? Or pairing it with something like an iPhone for streaming?

I have one of these for single end pairing with amps. But, it doesn't do the Orr justice. I sounds so much better with balanced xlr input.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Tower-3-5mm-Cable-Black/dp/B00EPX5PA8/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3LZ6PJ2OYU3PX&keywords=3.5+mm+to+dual+rca+male+audioquest&qid=1653328803&sprefix=3.5+mm+to+dual+rca+male+audio+quest,aps,178&sr=8-3
Just streaming from my Poly right now. I have a Kimber Kable GQ-Mini AG that I use, but agree that an XLR or balanced input would be better.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #139 of 356
@third_eye would there be a chance to test the Feliks Envy in Chicago?

May 23, 2022 at 5:43 PM Post #140 of 356
Just streaming from my Poly right now
Can you stream from your iPhone to the Poly? I could never get that feature working on my Poly with my iPhone's hotspot, so I gave up.

May 23, 2022 at 5:52 PM Post #141 of 356
Can you stream from your iPhone to the Poly? I could never get that feature working on my Poly with my iPhone's hotspot, so I gave up.
Yes, my iPhone recognizes the Poly as an Airplay device and streams easily to it. I think you have to be on the same WiFi network to get the Poly to work as a hotspot. I haven’t tried myself since Airplay works so well

May 23, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #142 of 356
Yes, my iPhone recognizes the Poly as an Airplay device and streams easily to it. I think you have to be on the same WiFi network to get the Poly to work as a hotspot. I haven’t tried myself since Airplay works so well
I see. I thought wifi sounded better than Airplay which is why I always use it in wifi mode with mconnect. I thought it should work with the iPhone hotspot, but as I said I could never get it to work. Airplay is absolutely more convenient. I'll have to try that with my Orr at home to see how it sounds.

May 23, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #143 of 356

Don't rely on WiFi at CanJam... in NYC it was practically non-existent. Best to have local files (on your iPhone, DAP, whatever mobile setup you have with your music). Just a "heads" up... :wink:

May 23, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #144 of 356
Don't rely on WiFi at CanJam... in NYC it was practically non-existent. Best to have local files (on your iPhone, DAP, whatever mobile setup you have with your music). Just a "heads" up... :wink:
Agreed. He can downloan streaming music to his iPhone, though. The only real issue I have had with the Mojo/Poly is that it does not have a great line out feature. Hugo 2 is much better in this regard.

I am going to bring my N8ii as source. And, after 2 other CanJams, I learned my lesson to assume you need to connect to anything. So, I have a usb-c to usb-b in case I need to connect to a DAC with a usb-b like a TT2. Usb c to usb c to connect to a Mojo 2, usb-c to usb-micro to connect to Mojo 1, 4.4mm to dual 3pin xlr to connect to amps like the Orr. 3.5mm to dual RCA to connect to tube amps.

Last edited:
May 23, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #145 of 356
Agreed. He can downloan streaming music to his iPhone, though. The only real issue I have had with the Mojo/Poly is that it does not a great line out feature. Hugo 2 is much better in this regard.
yes for sure... I download to my iPhone regularly (all my favouriates from Qobuz and Tidal are always downlaoded). But I was referring to his comment that he thinks he need to be on same WiFi to use AirPlay. If that's so, he may not be able ot use it at CanJam if the WiFi is unreliable..

May 24, 2022 at 10:00 AM Post #147 of 356
would there be a chance to test the Feliks Envy in Chicago?
At the moment neither Feliks Audio nor any of their distributors have signed up to exhibit at CanJam Chicago next month, but we'll be sure to let everyone know here in the thread if that changes. You can always see the most up-to-the-minute lineup of brands and exhibitors joining us at CanJam Chicago 2022 here.

May 24, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #148 of 356
At the moment neither Feliks Audio nor any of their distributors have signed up to exhibit at CanJam Chicago next month, but we'll be sure to let everyone know here in the thread if that changes. You can always see the most up-to-the-minute lineup of brands and exhibitors joining us at CanJam Chicago 2022 here.
Ok crossing fingers (hard)… thanks :)

May 24, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #149 of 356
We've had several instances where exhibitors have signed up with just days to go before an event, so there's always the possibility. Looking at their website, Feliks Audio is distributed by Upscale Audio here in the US and Upscale has exhibited with us in the past. Still plenty of time for them to join if the event works for their schedule.

And since I know everyone is chomping at the bit to see what all's going to be there, better get back to work on this year's preview video. We have the new dCS Lina in studio today for some photo time. @third_eye has had it for a bit now - lucky bum - and shared some of his thoughts earlier today too. I wonder if that's going to be at CanJam...

May 24, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #150 of 356
It's that time again!

2022 t-shirts.jpg

2022 Chicago t-shirt_Head-Fi.jpg

To reserve your shirt, please reply in the thread (do not PM) with your Head-Fi handle, the size you want, and how many of that size you want - all separated by hyphens. If you need to order multiple sizes, please start a new line. For example, this is my "order":

third_eye-L-2
third_eye-S-1

CanJam Chicago 2022 T-Shirts are $40
and can be paid for with cash at the Registration Desk until 1pm on Sunday, June 19. All preorders not picked up by then will be released for general sale.

All T-Shirt pre-orders will be both picked up and paid for at the show, although we must have your reservation now in order to guarantee your shirts. The deadline for T-Shirt pre-orders for CanJam Chicago 2022 is Friday, June 3, 2022. We will have a few extras T-Shirts in various sizes on hand as well. CanJam Chicago 2022 volunteers do not need to order their own T-shirts as we will be providing them directly.

Last edited: 1 minute ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back