CanJam 2009 Impressions
Jun 11, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #601 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, looks like I've been missing out on some good yet increasingly expensive and intriguing gear!

Just 8 or 9 months away and see what happens?! Hope you are well and that you find your way to the Bay Area meet on August 8!

Jun 12, 2009 at 7:54 PM Post #602 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Europe has a lot to prove before there will be a full blown international Canjam over here. A couple more big UK/Netherlands meets with attendance from other countries are needed and then, minimum, 1 large successful Europewide meet.

The hi-end headphone market is "thin" and geographically-isolated all over the world. We don't buy many high end amps from NA for the same reason you in NA don't buy many high end European amps. The mfrs are often one step away from either DIY or bankruptcy. Service is non existent. Warranty rules differ vastly across continents and borders. The US does not even have a national sales law, as do most EU countries, and I doubt if many states do, either. This creates risk for cross-continent transactions. One really big difference is that there are more risk takers in the US than in the EU, as evidenced by the SP blow out (and,...., and,......so on).

The US has a lot to prove too, my friend.

Back to my Audio Note gear!

Jun 12, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #603 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hi-end headphone market is "thin" and geographically-isolated all over the world. We don't buy many high end amps from NA for the same reason you in NA don't buy many high end European amps. The mfrs are often one step away from either DIY or bankruptcy. Service is non existent. Warranty rules differ vastly across continents and borders. The US does not even have a national sales law, as do most EU countries, and I doubt if many states do, either. This creates risk for cross-continent transactions. One really big difference is that there are more risk takers in the US than in the EU, as evidenced by the SP blow out (and,...., and,......so on).

Quite frankly I think you missed Duggeh's point entirely, and I fail to see what the US needs to prove. This thread is about the California Can Jam meet, and on that basis your post has wondered into absurdity.

Jun 12, 2009 at 9:28 PM Post #604 of 636
Generally, warranties are void only on grey market items, brought in to a country circumventing the established importer for the area. These people lay out good money to import the lines that they represent. In turn, they set up dealer networks, as they can, to support the sales of said imported components. When dealing with new gear, it's always best to buy locally and warranties do indeed apply.

When an importer finds a product that has been trans-shipped into his area through grey market, they may not offer service at all. This is up to the discretion of the manufacturer and their importers.

There are many American manufacturers actually shipping more product out of the US than are actually sold domestically. This is not abnormal at all.

I for one, carry several lines from over seas sources and service has never been a problem...

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:00 PM Post #605 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackbird Audio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Generally, warranties are void only on grey market items, brought in to a country circumventing the established importer for the area. These people lay out good money to import the lines that they represent. In turn, they set up dealer networks, as they can, to support the sales of said imported components. When dealing with new gear, it's always best to buy locally and warranties do indeed apply.

When an importer finds a product that has been trans-shipped into his area through grey market, they may not offer service at all. This is up to the discretion of the manufacturer and their importers.

There are many American manufacturers actually shipping more product out of the US than are actually sold domestically. This is not abnormal at all.

I for one, carry several lines from over seas sources and service has never been a problem...

Ummm... did anyone say MOT?

"No Members of the Trade can use his/her business name, postal address, e-mail address, telephone number or URL as part of his/her moniker. All Members of the Trade must contact the forum administrator at jude@head-fi.org to notify him of an interest in posting before making any posts. If a forum member who was not previously a Member of the Trade becomes a Member of the Trade, he must notify the forum administrator of the change in status. After notification of the "Member of the Trade" status, the forum administrator will then add the appropriate tag (Audio Dealer, Manufacturer, Distributor, etc.) to the appropriate profile(s)."

Jun 12, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #606 of 636
Well I hope you are not implying anything other than perhaps and administrative issue because Blackbird Audio purchased a table at Can Jam as a vendor, had pictures posted in the Can Jam thread clearly showing his "vendor's table", used his industry contacts to arrange for the loan of the Billybags Audio Stand for the Steve Hoffman presentation at no cost to Head-Fi and donated a Heed CanAmp to the Head-Fi raffle.

Like so many other vendors supporting Head-Fi, Blackbird Audio is a valuable asset. Now back on topic, what does your post have to do with the thread?

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #608 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Love this small pic of me from the above photo SiBurning!

Small.jpg

Reminds me of my original avatar.

lff.gif

I tried getting a shot of you, but you're a tough nut.

Where'd you go?
Ducking down to pick up a prize.
lff1.jpg

Handing over the goods.
lff4.jpg

Back to your post.
lff3.jpg

After handing out yet another prize to the King of Shwag.
lff5.jpg

And back to your post again.
lff6.jpg

Getting a little brave there, are you?
lff7.jpg

What's this? Your number?
lff8.jpg

Did you have to hand the prize to yourself and shake your own hand?
lff9.jpg

Let's shed a little light on the subject.
lff10.jpg

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #609 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by immtbiker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
We could go full circle and do it in New York, again.

We certainly meet the criteria.
It would have to be done in a place that is as accessible as the Adria, but a little higher on the food chain. I could assemble a pretty nice team once again, along with new, able-bodied brains and brawn.

Dam right. Maybe I would finally be able to attend one.

Too bad we got shafted again for Chicago.
angry_face.gif

Oh well, yet another one I probably won't attend.
I think that makes it what... 5 so far?

Jun 13, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #610 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by velogreg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I hope you are not implying anything other than perhaps and administrative issue because Blackbird Audio purchased a table at Can Jam as a vendor, had pictures posted in the Can Jam thread clearly showing his "vendor's table", used his industry contacts to arrange for the loan of the Billybags Audio Stand for the Steve Hoffman presentation at no cost to Head-Fi and donated a Heed CanAmp to the Head-Fi raffle.

Like so many other vendors supporting Head-Fi, Blackbird Audio is a valuable asset. Now back on topic, what does your post have to do with the thread?

Yes, it was more of a pointer to the administrative issue of MOT status. I think it is in most peoples interest that MOTs are advertised as such, so you know where your information is coming from, even if from a highly regarded and respected member who does good to the community. Don't you agree with this?

And yes, it's great to have active MOTs supporting the community.

But no, it doesn't have anything to do with this thread, sorry about that. Still, it is an important issue, and I don't see the reason why people should get grumpy if it is mentioned to point him in the right (Jude) direction to help him clarify his status.

Again, I think it's great with active MOTs, so please Blackbird, keep on posting!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:15 PM Post #611 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frihed89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Uh what? There certainly were European and Asian customers hurt by Singlepower. And I don't think either of us have enough information to say whether or not the number of European customers or euros affected by Singlepower is any more or less than the number of US customers/dollars.

Mikhail has always maintained that he has a large European/Asian (Esp. Chinese) customer base.

Of course if I were you I'd personally avoid using Singlepower as a leg for the pedestal I put my European self on when preaching to the ignorant/arrogant Americans.

Jun 13, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #612 of 636
Hey Did you guys know that there was this "Can-Jam" thing in LA a couple of weeks ago?

I was unable to attend and I wanted to say thanks to all who have psoted here. Especially the pics. I was hoping to see some Denon table impressions. Was there any particular vendor that was not there that you would like to encourage to attend the next "Can Jam"

Jun 13, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #613 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Towert7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Dam right. Maybe I would finally be able to attend one.

Too bad we got shafted again for Chicago.
angry_face.gif

Oh well, yet another one I probably won't attend.
I think that makes it what... 5 so far?

So why not be a part of your solution and start doing the work to make it happen for the following year.

Also didn't I see you at a SoFlo meet, I know you can travel, Chicago is a scant few hour plane ride from the NYC or Boston area, make it happen you'll not regret it.

Jun 13, 2009 at 4:03 PM Post #615 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Icarium /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course if I were you I'd personally avoid using Singlepower as a leg for the pedestal I put my European self on when preaching to the ignorant/arrogant Americans.

Say what? I was trying to be fair: America has a bigger high end headphone market than in Europe, but it comes at a cost. There's not a big tradition of risk taking in the EU. There is in America. I am an American and proud of it. America is a far more dynamic place.

If I were you I'd personally try to avoid your experience with SP as a leg for a pedestal.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back