CanJam 2009 Impressions
Jun 10, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #586 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...gradual crumbling of the Audiuophi8le world...

Many people have been predicting the "death of high end audio" for some time now, at least as long as I've been around (which is a long time).

Sure, some companies are hurting, but others are doing very well. In fact, most of the companies I deal with on a daily basis are doing better than ever and are looking at a very bright future.

High end audio is not going anywhere, it may change a bit, but there will always be a substantial group of people that want, and seek out, the best.

I do agree 100% with you take on DIY though. A healthy DIY community seeds the next generation of manufacturer that become the "established" companies of tomorrow that everyone seems to love to hate.

Peace,

Lee

Jun 10, 2009 at 5:16 AM Post #587 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[photos will be uploaded tomorrow, and inserted throughout this post, and the conclusion post(s) of my Can Jam 2009 impressions/journal]

Quote:

part 2

Quote:

part 3

You big tease!
popcorn.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #588 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... or even non-US.

How about Montreal some day?

or even somewhere in Europe.
biggrin.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #589 of 636
Europe has a lot to prove before there will be a full blown international Canjam over here. A couple more big UK/Netherlands meets with attendance from other countries are needed and then, minimum, 1 large successful Europewide meet.

Jun 10, 2009 at 11:42 AM Post #590 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Europe has a lot to prove before there will be a full blown international Canjam over here. A couple more big UK/Netherlands meets with attendance from other countries are needed and then, minimum, 1 large successful Europewide meet.

GO for it! We have at least a few Danes who will be there...

Jun 10, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #591 of 636
Quote:

Some day, some day!
popcorn.gif

Jun 10, 2009 at 3:44 PM Post #594 of 636
Quote:

True, First the UK national meet failed to materialise and now the European one seems to be heading in the same direction. There are lots of EU head-fi'ers but we are all spread thinly around the continent that a big meet never seems to happen. Hopefully one day it will come together.

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #596 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about Montreal some day?

or even somewhere in Europe.
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by rasmushorn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
GO for it! We have at least a few Danes who will be there...

Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some day, some day!
popcorn.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
True, First the UK national meet failed to materialise and now the European one seems to be heading in the same direction. There are lots of EU head-fi'ers but we are all spread thinly around the continent that a big meet never seems to happen. Hopefully one day it will come together.

Talk is cheap. Make it happen, guys!

It all starts small, but you gotta be consistent. Host one at least once a year. It's best to eventually get a decent venue like a small hotel. Over time you will all get better places, more people, and it will get bigger and better every year. You'll also find ideal dates during the year that appeals to the most people.

I remember when the first few larger SoCal meets were at people's houses, then they moved onto someone's office place, then a dance studio, and eventually a hotel. We didn't hit 100 people right away. Not by a long shot.

Remember, if you don't start somewhere, you'll never get anywhere.

-Ed

Jun 11, 2009 at 6:17 AM Post #599 of 636
Damn, looks like I've been missing out on some good yet increasingly expensive and intriguing gear!

Jun 11, 2009 at 1:16 PM Post #600 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Remember, if you don't start somewhere, you'll never get anywhere.

I don't know that people have used the tactic here in the states, but you could also talk to the Eurpean makers (Sennheiser, AKG, Meyer, and local audio stores) and ask them for help in getting folks into the hobby by using their mailing lists.

I would think you could begin to drum up new Head-Fi members by holding meets at audio stores (this has been done). The store will publicise it and you'll gain some numbers.

Sounds like work?

Yup. God helps those who help themselves. Keep working it and it'll happen.

And I'll be GLAD to go to a European CanJam!
clap.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back