CanJam 2009 Impressions
Jun 2, 2009 at 6:44 PM Post #392 of 636
Wow - there is a lot to write about here and I'll try to get to it tonight. I ended up out by the pool on Sunday night and didn't get home until 1:30AM or so. Then I was at the office at 9AM yesterday and was kept to midnight. I'll be doing the same through Thursday night, so this is a long week of late ones.

About the products:

1. The HF-2. I loved it and zero regrets about the impulsive order. I can't wait to get it!

2. I can't remember the model number, but I listened to the top of the line full-sized Shure headphones. Oh, they're good. Ridiculously good for the price. I plan to order a pair.

3. The Audeze orthos. Again, terrifically good. They let me take a pair over to my rig and I put my reference discs through them on both the Moth and Zana. They sounded excellent and I liked the fit. I gave them my email address and asked for them to drop me a line when they go into producion. I want a pair.

4. The ECPP phono stage was excellent. I got a listen with HD-600s, a Zana and a DL103, which is pretty close to my setup. The ECPP is a no-brainer and I told Craig I'll buy one with the MC board when they go into production.

5. Donald North's 6H30 amp. Very impressive sound and a great design. The 6H30 gets some use in preamps, but has been neglected in headphone circles save for a couple of DIY designs. There's a good reason the 6H30 gets dropped into high-end preamps. Couple that with sweet soundin output transformers and the ability to drive Grados, Denons, etc., and this should become a popular amp. Further, I reall enjoyed talking to Donald North. He and I like almost all the same things and he's a nice guy. I'm sure I'll talk to him a lot and I'm trying to justify buying (yet another) amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

I heard lots and lots of other great equipment, too. But this is the stuff I've bought, plan to buy or really want to buy. Maybe the HD-800 should go on the "really want to buy" list, but I'm still on the fence.

Also, that Team Florida is a pretty good time. Who knew?
wink.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #394 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2. I can't remember the model number, but I listened to the top of the line full-sized Shure headphones. Oh, they're good. Ridiculously good for the price. I plan to order a pair.

Its Shure SRH840. They are really good.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:35 PM Post #395 of 636
how many of you got to check out this table?
P1013920.jpg

the amp underneath the lcd screen is called mccormack micro integrated drive. very few people have heard this amp let alone know anything about it. yet it is one of the top 5 best.

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #397 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the amp underneath the lcd screen is called mccormack micro integrated drive. very few people have heard this amp let alone know anything about it. yet it is one of the top 5 best.

Top 5 best in what area? In the world?? According to who?
confused.gif

Jun 2, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #398 of 636
Unkle Erik, what did you think of the HD800 compared to your other phones? The only thing I'm interested and will get in the future is the JH13 at this point. And that's just based on impressions from trusted members here.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #399 of 636
Talk about Jet Lag.....I am about as wiped out as can be. Me and Jude where on the same flight out of Ca. I think he got like 10hrs of sleep during the meet. He kept falling asleep while we were talking on the plane
tongue_smile.gif

Big Thanks to the folks that put the meet on. Cant say enough about what an amazing job they did. The bar was definitely raised up a notch.

Thanks to all that stopped by the table. Amazing feedback and always a pleasure to put a face behind all the emails I get from you guys.

I did not get to spend as much time wondering around as I had wished, but that is what happens when you are a Vendor. I did manage to take some pics of our table but kind of fuzzy. Sorry. Hoping to have a better camera soon. Been eyeing up Jude's camera rig...

Still on the fence about the HD800 vs PS1000 vs ED8. Will have all of my gear back in the house in about a week. Will be able to do a much better sit down for a determination. I really like all 3 for different reasons.

The PS Audio PerfectWave Transport and Dac where off the hook. PS Audio shipped direct to the show, so it was the first time I got to play with them. Truly a benchmark product in my mind.

The Cary Audio Xciter Amp and Dac received the biggest praise at the table. Dennis Had at Cary is the man.......

Will be posting all the demo gear for sale over in our forum as soon as I get an inventory list when it shows up from UPS this Friday. So check Here this wknd sometime.

Here are our table pics. Enjoy…..

CanJam%201.jpg

CanJam%202.jpg

CanJam%203.jpg

CanJam%204.jpg

CanJam%205.jpg

CanJam%206.jpg

CanJam%207.jpg

CanJam%208.jpg

CanJam%209.jpg

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jun 3, 2009 at 2:31 AM Post #400 of 636
Many thanks to JP### and all the other guys and gals who helped to run this meet. I would also like to thank Tyll for lending me his HUGE tape gun, and putting forth the extra effort on Saturday night to make sure that everyone at the meet had a great time.

Like many meets I had more fun chatting with other audiophiles and designers BUT this time I actually took a moment to listen to some music!

Starting off:
The big woo electrostatic amp: sounded very good with the O2. Jack said that he still had some work to do on getting the amp set up and dialed in right. It is already very good, but with even a little improvement this will be a great bit of gear when it gets running full tilt. This is definitely on my "must hear" list for the next NYC meet.

The TTVJ/millet 307a and Manley 300B headphone amps both sounded superb with the HD-800, and the HF-2. I gave the PS-1000 a moments listen, but not really that long.

I spent quite a bit of time in the headroom room listening to the HD800 every which way out of every which amp. Their sound is certainly worth their title of flagship headphone, which is not something I so easily say for the HD-580. I quite liked the bass and the effortless flow of sound, with no obvious gaps or spikes. The bass was certainly there in spades, as mentioned, but I think it blended well into the rest of the headphone never sounding artificial or overbearing.

I spent a few minutes listening to the head direct orthos, and they were happy to show their potential. In all fairness, Fang told me they were not broken in (on Friday evening) but I was eager to hear them before the crowds started to gather. I gave them a listen on both his small hybrid tube amp, and my own tube amp. They both showed a good strength in the bass, which I like and have difficulty getting from other orthos. The down side was a wicked treble spike. BUT like I said, they were not broken in at all, and at the end of Saturday the treble had calmed down to a more reasonable level. I have high hopes and good confidence that these will show themselves as a solid headphone with a few more hours on them. This is also another "must listen" the next time there is an NYC meet.

The Donald North amp was cool! I have been running IEC outs on my own amps for some time for the beyers, and am happy to see someone else doing this as well. I listened to the DT-880/250 as they are what I am most familiar with, and they sounded very good from this little amp. The tonal balance and overall range were both very good as the IEC out cures many of the oft mentioned problems of the DT-880.

I spent some time at the next table over listening to namman's various gear. He also had a TPA dac, and I was quite pleased by the bijou with the HF-2. I spent a moment with the B22 and K-701 and that was also a great pairing.

Next over was the group effort of VPIvinylspinner's M3 amp, Thrice's buffalo dac, and someone else's CD player. This system was GREAT with pretty much everything I threw at it, and a real pleasure-fest. The highlight was the balanced HF-2, which grawk kindly declined to listen to so that others could.

I had a great listen to JP##'s stacker 2 amp & my HF-2. This amp took a variety of music and effortlessly got it pumping.

I had the privilege of parking my little amp in my own little group effort table with Nebby's various TPA sources, and both sounded great although I preferred the buffalo. We also had a few of Ctoole's and Sachu's orthos on hand and happily listened.

The high end room was quite high end this year. The reel to reel system in the back was SCREAMING for attention, anyone who took the time to listen got a treat. The 2 SP ES-2's were running full tilt, and sounded great with the omega2 or the HE-90. The balanced R10 from the SDS-XLR was a great pairing.

I missed the golden opportunity to listen to one of the prototype eddy-current amps but took a good long listen to the L3000 on my system. I am happy that I did: they have a very cool and unique sound: very dark, but at the same time quite intimate. I have heard them sound downright funky and weird on the wrong amps, but everything I threw them at got them singing loud and proud this weekend.

The final highlight (and the highest of the highlights IMO) was the Smyth room, and their headphone system. The whole concept is very cool, and I like the possibilities it brings to headphones. After the brief setup procedure I was encouraged to watch the opening scene of "Saving private ryan" and was nothing short of locked in my seat trembling in fear. I could not tell when the bomb was going to get me or what was really happening (I have never actually seen the movie), but I WAS IN IT! This was without a doubt the biggest "wow" moment I had the whole trip.
Quote:

Originally Posted by panda /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by subtle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Top 5 best in what area? In the world?? According to who?
confused.gif

I was also interested in this amp, as they come up on audiogon from time to time at a reasonable price and McCormack gear is generally well regarded. I was disappointed with this amp. I hoped it would get better after a few moments listen, it didn't. it had almost a screechy top end and really didnt get me into the music too well at all.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:38 AM Post #403 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by some1x /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone compare Cary Xciter vs 300SEI?

interested in this, too. the xciter looks amazing and initial reviews have been glowing.

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:40 AM Post #404 of 636
Here are some more pics that I have posted on my website:

CryoParts CanJam 2009

I'll go through the rest and possibly post more after I get my wife out of the hospital, the Internet connection from here is really slow.

Had a great time at the meet. Blubliss' rig with the R10's was simply stunning. I need to find a pair of bass heavy R10s now...

Peace,

Lee

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #405 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by drubrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Talk about Jet Lag.....I am about as wiped out as can be. Me and Jude where on the same flight out of Ca. I think he got like 10hrs of sleep during the meet. He kept falling asleep while we were talking on the plane
tongue_smile.gif

I feel your pain. My flight left LAX at 10:40 pm. Sunday night. I got in at 6:AM. Monday morning, drove home took a quick shower and was at work at 8:00 am. worked all day, That was a long day.

You looked tired on Sunday afternoon! It has to be tuff to be a vendor. I never saw you sit down, thanks for answering all my questions!!!

Tell Dennis to balance the dack and amp!!!!!!!

Man, my hair "is" getting thin on top LOL!!!!

I will PM you about your source for the Sylvania 6SN7 tubes for my preamp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back