CanJam 2009 Impressions
Jun 3, 2009 at 1:31 PM Post #422 of 636
Quote:

The Decoder is going to debut at RMAF instead.

Lee, Can you comment on what the Decoder is/does? Thanks for bringing a few of the Sonicweld pieces to the unwashed masses here,ha.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:07 PM Post #423 of 636
First and foremost, my thanks and appreciation to David, Peter, Greg, John and the rest for making this meet happen. Your time, labor and stress – the vast bulk of it unseen—resulted in a very successful meet and a wonderful time. You guys basically gave up your meet so the rest of us could have one. Thank you!

This meet was overwhelming in scale and breadth of activities and equipment—truly an abundance of riches for our community. Mostly, I “baby sat” my DIY electrostatic amp, but I did get a chance to listen to other Stax-based systems. I’m still not sure if I’m a “Stax guy”. All the Stax systems had more similarities than differences. The others were more detailed and analytical, whereas I think mine was warmer and lusher--which is to be expected with an all-tube, zero feedback, dht-type topology. In the end, it boils down to personal preference.

My favorite “real world” Stax system was “Mikeymad’s” Omega 2/ES-1 (the Bluebliss Omega 1 system is an elevated world of its own). I’m a tube fanatic, so I imagine Mike’s use of 50’s Mullard EL-34s had something to do with the choice.

It was my privilege to have “Ironbut”/Steve as my neighbor. Every time I listen to his reel-to-reel set-up, I’m reminded how flawed all other sources are. Anyone with audiophile interests needs to hear this to get an idea of what a truly reference-level source is. Listen to the music, but pay particular attention to the audience clapping. It’s startling and different than with any other reproduced sound. As always, this system was “Best of Show”.

The greatest highlight of the show for me was a chance to talk with “Filburt”. We’d never met before but got to talking about DACs. He described his highly modified Sonic Frontier Assemblage DAC, and eventually we swapped it into my electrostatic system. Solid-state over-sampling DACs of a particular price point usually sound pretty similar to me. My usual preference is for filterless, NOS DACs with tube analog sections. Boy, was I wrong here! From the first few notes, the difference was apparent and stunning. The sound stage expanded greatly, the dynamics became punchier, and there was an increased sense of power and headroom. All solid state, yet it gave up nothing in analog, like warmth and richness, to my Audio Note. I was amazed that a DAC of this type would seamlessly and stunningly mesh with a hard-core dht amp such as mine. There was none of the etched “digitus” that is often associated with all but the best solid-state DACs. I tried to buy it on the spot but it is his “baby” and he didn’t want to part with it. (The offer remains open, Filburt!). Hopefully, one day I can get him to make me one. This sort of “pushing the envelope” is diy at its best.

Lastly, I can’t forget “Boomana” (who could?). She brought her Stax Omega 2 Mark 1 from Florida specifically so I could have a reference-level headphone to demo my amp. Thank you, Vicki!!! Your enthusiastic support of my amp projects has been a key factor in my own continuing efforts to push the envelope.

Jun 3, 2009 at 2:21 PM Post #424 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by paddo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was me asking about the Zino's, thanks. What is the likely price and release date?

Also good to hear a few things about Shure too. What's the soundstage like?

Ok the ultrasone guy said that they will be $99, and that they would become available next week on amazon, but they wont ship for like 2 weeks. Then in a month or so they will be available from all retailers including fry's electronics.

To be honest i don't remember too much about the headphones as they were kinda of dwarfed by other cans at the table. But i know i liked them and i thought of them like a super version of the portapros. Being more detailed the bass being less muddy and having less clamp on the head. One thing is that the build quality didnt feel as strong, like they seemed kinda of flimsy i am assuming that plastic used for the headband wasnt the best. But they are very light and would be good for portable.

I am thinking of getting a pair because it is kinda of troublesome to be carrying an amp around to drive the PK1s but i will see how it goes...

Jun 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #425 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a USB-to-S/PDIF converter in a bling-bling housing.

You mean the bling-bling doesn't make it sound better? Say it ain't so AMB!

Jun 3, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #427 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a USB-to-S/PDIF converter in a bling-bling housing.

24/96 USB to S/PDIF converter. Not using CEntrance or Gordon's code, like everyone elses. First of its kind. And, a "bling bling" case!
bigsmile_face.gif
Although the chassis is an essential part of the overall design, so not just for looks.

More info here:

CryoParts Sonicweld Diverter 24/96 USB to SPDIF Converter

Peace,

Lee

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #428 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dan Millheim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Lee, Can you comment on what the Decoder is/does? Thanks for bringing a few of the Sonicweld pieces to the unwashed masses here,ha.

Hey Dan!

I put a link to my page on the Diverter above in another post, so I won't spam the forum here with the details.

I am going to keep the Decoder details under wraps a bit longer, sorry.

Peace,

Lee

Jun 3, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #430 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by nikongod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reel to reel system in the back was SCREAMING for attention, anyone who took the time to listen got a treat. .

LOL,

You noticed? I get a little pushy to get folks to listen to the tapes. Some folks are a little intimidated by the whole reel to reel thing since they're so unfamiliar with the format so they quite often need a little coaxing to sit down and listen.
It also takes a little baby-sitting on my part to be sure that a tape is all queued up and ready to be listened to. So the quicker I can get someone listening, the faster I can get away and check out the other members rigs. I aways end up with posts from attendee's that say that they weren't able to listen because the tape had ended or that I wasn't there to help them and that makes me feel a little guilty.

I'm always interested to get the opinions of members like nikongod whose posts have always been thoughtful. The whole tape rig is in constant flux and I've never displayed it the same way twice so the opinions of those I respect is very important to me.

Thanks for all the kind word members have offered and while I realize that the Tape Project tapes are extremely expensive, I'd like to think that giving everyone a chance to hear them is in some way a kind of service in their pursuit of audio heaven.

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #431 of 636
So who was the guy on Segway with an entourage???

Jun 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #432 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by peanuthead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So who was the guy on Segway with an entourage???

That was Noel Lee, CEO of Monster Cable. When I see him rolling with the people following, I'm reminded of a postmodern version of Xerxes from 300. Actually, I've briefly met Noel, and he was a nice guy. I do believe he rides the Segway due to a medical condition that affects and/or prevents his walking any substantial distance.

I'm going to be posting my impressions soon, by the way. I'm just buried in work that I didn't do while I was gone.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #433 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Diverter did:

P1013953.jpg

The Decoder is going to debut at RMAF instead.

Peace,

Lee

I got to hold that thing in my hands briefly before the ceiling collapsed in the room (literally).

Man, it's a solid block of milled aluminum. No cheap plastic there. It's got some weight to it!

-Ed

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:25 PM Post #434 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I got to hold that thing in my hands briefly before the ceiling collapsed in the room (literally).

Man, it's a solid block of milled aluminum. No cheap plastic there. It's got some weight to it!

-Ed

Is that what makes this a four digit line item over a $75 m-audio transit that performs the same function?

It would take a less then $5 to add on an coaxial out to one of those with a total of 6 or 7 solder joints to attach hookup wire, a resistor, and connector.

Jun 3, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #435 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

-Ed

not realy interested in this but like the look of it - I'm kind of guy that likes nice looking staf ( or girls
smily_headphones1.gif
) - but c'mon that is worse rip off than SAA 1400$ HD800 cable
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back