CanJam 2009 Impressions
May 31, 2009 at 4:45 AM Post #121 of 636
IMG_3391.jpg

IMG_3390.jpg

IMG_3389.jpg

May 31, 2009 at 4:50 AM Post #124 of 636
Ha ha ha. I also liked the Audiotechnica AD2000. They sound great. They sounded to me even more detailed than the DT880's. I had never listened to Grado's before. The (GS1000) I think it was was bright and clear, not harsh at all, contrasting nicely with the deep lows.
By the way, I listened to DT880s 250 vs 600 and to my ears the difference was not worth the price differential.
Is my first time at a meet. Next time I am going to take notes and pics. Otherwise it becomes difficult to remember everything. I do know that nothing beat the Stax, not even the HD8000 or GS1000. Next time I buy headphones it will be Stax. Problem is I have 2 kids in college and one in high school. (very expensive!)

May 31, 2009 at 4:52 AM Post #125 of 636
Heavily ABed HD800s in both the Headroom and TTVJ rooms. They will be grail to some people, but I would not consider them delivering everything possible in a headphone. For instance they are not as bloomy as the top end Grados (PS1000 or GS1000 for that matter). They do present a stage and a "3D" presentation to me no other headphone can touch or really even comes close to. Things are bigger, fuller, but still very focused with a lot of detail. Not an easy feet. What also impressed me was that they are able to portray frequency extremes with far more range. Meaning that a bright CD is bright and a non bright CD is not, same with the bass. Hence you will here that HD800s are bright, not bright, not bassy, too bassy compared to xyz. It will depend on your system and music. Some people I guess call this "transparent"; or at least it is a form of it.

PS1000s, had them compared to the GS1000s and HD800s. I will say these are a less bright and much fuller version of the GS1000 sound. Everything the GS1000 needs I guess. Heavy though. If your tastes are to the Grado sound these can trump the HD800s (which my friend thought they did). Still compared to the HD800 the overall sound is not quite as refined to me. I can still hear the peaky edges of vocals that appear on PS1000 (and especially in the GS1000) that do not appear on the HD800s.

Those are the main things I wanted to cover going to Canjam. May try back tomorrow and listen to a few more things.

May 31, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #126 of 636
Which has the bigger soundstage, the ps1000 or the hd800?

May 31, 2009 at 5:01 AM Post #127 of 636
The Hd800's have a very airy sound, big soundstage. I think more than Grado's. And they are so clear. After listening to them, the HD650's don't sound good at all to my ears. It is true the Grados sounded bright and detailed, perhaps at times harsh, but they were almost as nice as the HD800's. I could be happy with either. By the way, Headroom's HD800 were balanced. (not all).

May 31, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #129 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which has the bigger soundstage, the ps1000 or the hd800?

HD800s has "better" stage. HD800s have a stage that can place instruments all around your head giving more impression of depth. In comparison, PS1000s still only creates a wall of sound (relatively speaking). The HD800 head stage experinece is different than any headphone I've heard.

May 31, 2009 at 6:00 AM Post #131 of 636
Well - long day for me today! I didn't listen to much at the meet but I do have some good news to report!

1) I won a Heed Canamp in the raffle and (THANKS Blackbird Audio and Profundo Audio!)
2) I have a new pair of HF-2's to listen to tonight courtesy of Billy.

I will report more soon....

May 31, 2009 at 6:14 AM Post #133 of 636
Wow, what a great event so far. Hats off to the organizers who are working so hard to make this event happen.

I have to give credit for the first pics to SyBurning who just used my account to post them. It was a semi-joint effort to get them up. I am sure more will come soon.

All the people here are just the greatest! Nice putting faces to names. Impressions in the future. It's really hard to do critical listening, at least it was today, with the noise level. Maybe tomorrow will mellow a bit.

Cheers!

May 31, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #134 of 636
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well - long day for me today! I didn't listen to much at the meet but I do have some good news to report!

1) I won a Heed Canamp in the raffle and (THANKS Blackbird Audio and Profundo Audio!)
2) I have a new pair of HF-2's to listen to tonight courtesy of Billy.

I will report more soon....

Congratulations from Bob Clarke (Profundo) and Dan Muzquiz (Blackbird Audio) on winning the CanAmp!... Enjoy it!

Dan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back