Canadians: Portable Headphones for Harsh Arctic Winters?
Aug 4, 2004 at 1:29 PM Post #31 of 44
I wouldnt mind coming to the next ottawa meet myself... a good friend of mine just moved out there... it could be a dual purpose vacation
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 2:32 PM Post #32 of 44
beyer 250-80's are the best winter headphones I have tried. They don't have cord microphonic problems or creaking problems and they are nice and comfortable and have good sound. The other closed earmuff headphones I have tried are senn 280, sony v6, jvc 990, denon 750, koss r80, akg 271s, the senn 280's and v6's being the worst. I didn't find the hp2's to be all that great for winter use. Too hard to drive properly, too open, and when its real cold out, they develop condensation around the metal. I havent heard senn hd25's, but you can shoot me in the arm if they are actually good hehe.

Biggie.

Aug 4, 2004 at 5:45 PM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I havent heard senn hd25's, but you can shoot me in the arm if they are actually good hehe.

Biggie.

I'm going to buy a pair, I'll gladly ship them your way for an audition if it'll result in extreme pain and suffering.

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #34 of 44
Sounds good to me. ^^

Biggie.

Mar 26, 2006 at 10:40 PM Post #35 of 44
er6i under a toque for me! Very low-profile so you don't get any feeling of pressing in your ear canals due to the pressure of the toque. Just my own personal preference. BTW, anyone here from Cambridge? It's only 15min from waterloo...

Mar 27, 2006 at 12:13 AM Post #37 of 44
Rather OT, but I'd like to know:

What is it about WLU that is causing you to basically relocate at the other end of a continent?

Now on topic
biggrin.gif
. Well I go to UW, so its the same area, and I use mx400's while out in the freezing cold (and it was in 2004-2005). They aren't exactly hifi, but being not-so-expensive, you really don't have to worry about cold damage and such. The problem with earbuds is that after a while your ears get so cold that they fall out! Not a problem for me, but lots of people I know have this problem with the ibuds.

Mar 27, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #38 of 44
Slightly OT:
Canadians! I'm another Ottawa kid, though I'll probably be at Trent, UofG, or Dal next year.

I'm wondering - where do you guys get your headphones? I haven't found (in my three days of caring) a decent shop in Ottawa, and it's surprisingly hard to find online stores that ship here at a decent rate. What do you guys do?

Also, I commute + walk in headphones fairly often, or with headphones in a bag. Should I be worrying about cold damage?

Mar 27, 2006 at 3:22 AM Post #39 of 44
I am in BC but I have had good luck dealing with takefiveaudio.com in the past.

They are based out of Ottawa IIRC and have a B&M store there. They have the full Grado line at good, for Canada, prices as well as a good/full selection of Beyer's.

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #40 of 44
I work as a messenger here in T.O. and spend a good deal of time outside. My Grados have survived two winters and kept my ears warm during that time. You may not like grados or even open air headphones for outdoor use, but i found being able to hear oncomming trafic quite useful. Not that you'll have much of that problem around campus...i guess.

just my two cents..
biggrin.gif

Mar 27, 2006 at 4:16 AM Post #41 of 44
Another Ottawan here. The rubber on my cheapie Senn earbuds didn't like the cold much last winter, so just make sure to run the cable inside coats and shirts and the like. Your ears should keep IEMs or buds warm enough.

Quote:

I'm wondering - where do you guys get your headphones? I haven't found (in my three days of caring) a decent shop in Ottawa, and it's surprisingly hard to find online stores that ship here at a decent rate. What do you guys do?

The Audioshop is based out on Bank and Glebe, and have been very pleasant in my somewhat limited experience with them.

Quote:

They are based out of Ottawa IIRC and have a B&M store there. They have the full Grado line at good, for Canada, prices as well as a good/full selection of Beyer's.

Take Five isn't based out of Ottawa (they're in Mount Forest) but have been great to deal with so far online.

Mar 27, 2006 at 5:51 PM Post #43 of 44
Any headphones + arctic parka...you'll be so cold in canada when it gets below 60F that you'll want 30lbs of down anyway...so it doesn't really matter which phones you get, there's plenty of room under the hood with the fur ruff...

Mar 30, 2006 at 7:44 PM Post #44 of 44
What the heck, I thought I killed this thread off years ago!
tongue.gif

Biggie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back