Canadians: Portable Headphones for Harsh Arctic Winters?
Aug 2, 2004 at 10:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

minya

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi,

I'm a soon-to-be Canadian. In one month I'll be attending university in the Great White North, in the desolate snow-blown tundras of Ontario. (That is to say: about an hour outside Toronto.)

I'm wondering what you Canadians do for portable headphones during the frigid 8-month winters (I'm from California). I shave my head regularly so I'm going to have to wear some sort of hat most of the time. Probably a "tuque" or whatever the hell they're called. This leaves me with two options: canalphones and giant closed cans that double as earmuffs. The only two phones in the latter option I can really think of are the Sony V6 (which is disqualified due to migraine-inducing treble) and the Ultrasone 650 (disqualified due to "I ride the short bus" C-clamp headband).

I'm guessing the most practical for me would be a pair of canalphones. I had and loved the Etymotic ER-4s, but their sound isn't really suitable to portable situations, at least w/o an amp (and I'm looking for a strictly MP3 player -> headphone type of deal). Never heard the 4P. Shures are a candidate, but those whom I trust report that they're rather muffled and bassy (which could be a bonus in a portable situation, I guess).

Lastly I have to consider weather damage. If I take my headphones out into the snow, will they suffer from frostbite or can I rest easy?

Are there any other full-size headphones I'm not thinking of?

Any opinions and personal experiences will be appreciated.

Thanks!

- Chris

Aug 2, 2004 at 11:21 PM Post #2 of 44
Trust me... southern Ontario does not really get cold. I actually moved here for the warm weather! When you spend some long term time at -40C (-40F, I have even been at -60C for awhile.. that was *really* fun) you get a feeling for what cold is!

If you are going to Waterloo, it tends to be very snowy (there is a snow belt) but not too cold (the neatest thing there was thunder storms with the snow). If it were me, I would look at something like Senn PX100's (or 200's, I am one of the few that actually likes them) under a toque. I think water damage in snow would be more of a problem than sheer cold (as I said... it does not get that cold in the grand scheme of things). For bigger cans, I favor sealed cans in public places and would be tempted to try something like the AT900's. I have the K271s and I think they would be durable and work well in the wet... and think the concerns about driving them are a bit overstated (little doubt they are a hell of a lot better than the Grado 325's I had... my complaints with them are they get warm and the top end is a little too relaxed).

Aug 2, 2004 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 44
Minya do what zzz did...HP2's
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise, something simple like Koss Porta Pros, 35's or 50's will do nicely and fit well under your "toque."

Aug 2, 2004 at 11:36 PM Post #4 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by CannedHam
Trust me... southern Ontario does not really get cold.

Well... yeah. I was being a bit facetious in my original post, I suppose.
smily_headphones1.gif

I will be in Waterloo, going to WLU. PX100's are an idea I suppose but I may as well keep on using my KSC-35's for that.

- Chris

Aug 2, 2004 at 11:41 PM Post #5 of 44
You're overestimating how cold it gets in Kitchener-Waterloo!
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyway, the Beyer DT250-250 (or DT250-80) are perfect for your situation. Similar formfactor to the V6, but with velour pads (aka. natural earmuffs). Not all that conspicuous. Extremely durable build quality. Most balanced sound of all the full-sized closed phones that I've heard.

Aug 3, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #6 of 44
He's from California... these people are in love with the heat (at least they are here in SoCal)... Ugh! I miss Seattle, perfect weather. You get sun and heat from time to time so you don't forget what they're like but the rest of the time the weather is comfortable and suitable for everyday life. You can wear clothes and not die of heat and it also doesn't get cold enough to where you'd ever need to wear thermals unless you're going skiing during the coldest days of winter.

BTW, I really like the E2's for portables. They're a bit dark and the highs are rolled off but they're a lot of fun for portable uses. They'd work great under a beanie or "tuque."

Aug 3, 2004 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 44
I live in the nation's capital, I treat winter just like any other season, it's all the same, just use the same headphones you would use in hot weather, and even if you wear a tuque, it shouldn't interfere with your headphones. Also, it shouldn't get cold enough to ruin your headphones. Although, I've lived here my whole life and perfere the cold over the heat.

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:08 AM Post #9 of 44
USE BEYER'S!!!!
smily_headphones1.gif

Especially ones with warm , tight velor pads such as DT 831 or 880....

(waaaait a moment, plz do notice that I am suggesting headphones that will keep your ears warm. Well, for DT 831 + 880, they are good cans actually,
just that they aren'y suitable for portable use.)

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:50 AM Post #11 of 44
it's spelled toque.

edit: I guess it's spelled tuque too. hmm.

blink.gif

Anyway, I've used my PX100s on some Ottawa winter days where it is -50C with windchill. I could hear the metal in them start to shrink against the plastic, but they held up ok. Still, I has only walking for about ten minutes..I wouldn't test them any more then that. But, you should fair much better in Waterloo, it doesn't get nearly as cold, just more snowy.

...looks like there are a bunch of us Ottawa people around here..cool.

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:57 AM Post #12 of 44
Look at this, yet another Ottawa head-fier. Coming outta the wood work they be.

and yeah, toque is proper. It is derived from the word toquet which is a hat worn in the mid part of the last millenium or there abouts. tuque is just dead wrong, no harm to foul there minya!

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:12 AM Post #13 of 44
How is tuque dead wrong? That's how it's spelt in french alright
redface.gif
(And it means the same thing...)

By the way, I use my V6's during the winter here (Ottawa too, or close enough) and it's just the greatest thing. Sometimes I go out without my DAP and it just reminds me why I love music so much.

Oh, and about the 'coldness damage' you're worrying about, all I can say is the only thing that could scare me is breaking the cord of my V6 in pieces. When it's -40C with killing windchill, it can get pretty stiff.
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:19 AM Post #14 of 44
What about Sennheiser hd-25's, I keep hearing good things about them for portable use which has been tempting me to give them a try.

Aug 3, 2004 at 5:21 AM Post #15 of 44
Right. That is how it is spelled in another language...just like if I started spelling heaphones as cuffie. It sure is right as an Italian word, but that does not mean it's appropriate for English. A closer examination would be future and futur for our respective languages. One can't start mixing and call it proper!

Yes, this is being picky, but with language it's appropriate!

As for the cold, unless you live way up North, -40 C in Waterloo will be RARE. You may hit some -20's on occasion. Nothing to get yourself worked up over. Honestly I think the 35's are a great bet especially underneath your toque
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back