Canadians: Portable Headphones for Harsh Arctic Winters?
Aug 3, 2004 at 5:23 AM Post #16 of 44
I didn't mean to upset you with my post about the toque thing Zanth, sorry about that. I just felt like pointing the 'dead wrong' part out. As in, the guy isn't completly insane, he used the word in another language... I guess you could see that as being cultivated.......... or something like that.
wink.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 6:30 AM Post #18 of 44
up here in godforsaken winnepeg it reached below -30*C quite often
what works really well is your regular cans with a (preferably fleece) hood over top
great at keeping you and your cans warm

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #19 of 44
I was thinking about those too, elnero. I think the 250-80s are more "tried and true" in this case so that's what I'll go with. I would very much like to hear the HD-25's sometime, though. (You better get a pair and come on over, bln.)

I knew Zanth was just messing with me. It's "toque," ok... but "colour"? Never.
tongue.gif

- Chris

Aug 3, 2004 at 7:17 AM Post #21 of 44
If anyone has had more success than myself in finding the Sennheiser HD-25 series cheap online, please post where. I'm looking to get the 25-1 for close to $150, or the 25SP for $70 or less. These are damn expensive for portable phones.

Aug 3, 2004 at 12:00 PM Post #22 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by minya
I was thinking about those too, elnero. I think the 250-80s are more "tried and true" in this case so that's what I'll go with.

I'd like to hear the 250-80's (and 250-250's for that matter) but the oversized plug on the cable has always turned me off. It looks extremely uncomfortable.

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:46 PM Post #23 of 44
my akg k271 studios keep me nice and warm in the winter months
smily_headphones1.gif

a little too warm right now though
frown.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #24 of 44
Don’t worry about the cold; southern Ontario is not that bad. It is unlikely you will experience the –30C we can get in Alberta. Water will affect the cans more than the cold. But yes, you will have to cover your head from mid November to end of March.

Canal headphones like the Etymotic would work very well. Alternatives would be Senn PX100 or Koss would do well.

Welcome to Canada

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:07 PM Post #25 of 44
My own only use for the DT250-80 after evaluating them was as a pair of earmuffs during the winter. They're toasty and comfy. You don't have to listen to them... you can always take the cable off and wear the E5 underneath, as I did.

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:10 PM Post #26 of 44
Hah, funny post
smily_headphones1.gif

I live in K/W, it does not get too cold, the wind can be harsh in the winter though, don't let your headphones freeze to ur head
580smile.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #27 of 44
I work outside year round and your question was one of the considerations that i had to take into account. For that and other reasons I chose the IEM route, and find a pair of shure's and folding earmuffs sufficient for all but the most windy of days. (Its windchill v. exposure)
etysmile.gif

Aug 3, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #28 of 44
The last time I was in the Waterloo-Kitchener area it was like 75 F in April.....

Anyways, I've worn Shure E2's at Packer Games in Green Bay in December/January (Post Season!...
biggrin.gif
) and they worked out well.

They are just flush enough to fit under a hood or hat if you choose, and they seemed tolerant when going in and out of the cold weather...though I was careful to prevent condensation during these times. Also, though $70 is a big investment on these....it's not the end of the world if they got trashed as compared to E5's. To be honest, the Shure warranty seems generous enough that they would probably help you out if they broke.

Aug 4, 2004 at 6:27 AM Post #30 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zanth
A fellow Ottawa boy! You have to come out to our next meet!

I'd love to go to the next meet! That would be awesome.

Oh and sorry for spelling toque tuque, I can't spell. Ya, I know it's sad, I even spelled my own name wrong in Grade 7. It never happened again since then, though, but I did come close once.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back