Can you hear a difference between DAC's?

Can you hear a difference between DAC's?

• Total voters
Aug 2, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #451 of 613
There should come a time where people on both sides of a discussion reach the conclusion they won’t change the other persons opinion and move on.
The time where I reach that conclusion is usually before I respond for the first time. I’m not trying to change the other person’s opinion as that’s typically impossible but this is a public forum and I politely explained the actual facts and questioned the false assertions for those who value the actual facts.
The ‘science’ of it is the music is identical but my perception of it is completely different.
So in the context of the thread topic, the answer would be “virtually never” but if the question were “Can you perceive a difference between DACs?” the answer would be “virtually always”.

G

Aug 2, 2023 at 7:35 AM Post #452 of 613
People can obviously hold whatever views they wish. If someone wants to hold the view that say the earth is flat or 1+1=3, that’s entirely up to them but if they’re going to express that on a public forum as a fact, then why should it be unacceptable to politely explain that 1+1=2 and challenge that incorrect view for the benefit of the “environment” (including those who may want/prefer the correct facts)?

You seem to also prefer the former option, not caring whether the “environment” is poisoned by false information, only about an environment “where people are not permitted to hold or express” the actual facts if they falsify, contradict or challenge an alternative/incorrect view.

G

That is all far to logical for the mentality of many “audiophiles” whose definitive response when challenged is some version of ”I know what I hear, I can’t help it if you can’t hear the same thing”.

Unfortunately in this hobby it seems that everyone with two functioning ears is an expert but very few are willing to issue a healthy bit of self doubt or acknowledge the significant limitations of human auditory memory.

Edit to add ….. or to consider the role that specific circumstances, feelings and all manner of other stimuli have on what we percieve we hear rather than only the input created by the sound waves entering our ears. We ultimately hear with our brains and other stimuli are hugely influential in respect of perceived sound. Some days everything sounds good and on other days nothing sounds good despite that the music and the gear are identical.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 8:18 AM Post #453 of 613
Unfortunately in this hobby it seems that everyone with two functioning ears is an expert but very few are willing to issue a healthy bit of self doubt or acknowledge the significant limitations of human auditory memory.
In my experience and observation many people are just not able to differentiate well enough between different questions and their different solutions. They just mix everything together until they have their preferred theory about a certain problem. Because that’s the easiest way to go. As castleofargh already pointed out the brain tends to reduce the level of abstraction to not overthink something or to get carried away. This costs a lot of energy which could be spent for other tasks.

But if someone politely (of course it is debatable what counts as being polite) tries to reveal, where errors lie in their causality of thoughts, they immediately feel attacked, leading to even more irrational arguing. I mean, this is a natural defense-mechanism within animals and uncivilized humans, but shouldn’t be in respectful discussions between reasoning people.

Emotions play a huge role in hobbies like this. And I think everyone needs to be reminded of that from time to time.

Aug 2, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #454 of 613
So in the context of the thread topic, the answer would be “virtually never” but if the question were “Can you perceive a difference between DACs?” the answer would be “virtually always”.

G
It depends how far down the perception stack you place your ‘sensor.’ If it’s at the entrance to the ear canal then virtual never is true. If it’s deep in the cortex of the brain then it’s virtually always.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:05 AM Post #455 of 613
…… discussions between reasoning people.

Emotions play a huge role in hobbies like this. And I think everyone needs to be reminded of that from time to time.

I am of the opinion, based on observations here and on a couple of Facebook groups that I peek in on occasionally, that most people involved in this hobby are not by nature “reasoning people” which creates the situation where they believe they are definitively correct regardless that their position has no logic to it other than “I know what I hear”.

In my humble opinion the ones that most often need to be reminded of the role of emotions are also usually the ones that also don’t use reason. That said it is easy to get frustrated (that’s emotive) when trying to discuss something with someone who is so blinkered by their own perceptions that they can’t for a moment consider something outside their own current thought process and certainly that isn’t constructive either.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 9:12 AM Post #456 of 613
After reading through this thread I think it's pretty unfortunate that threads like this can't exist without devolving into condescending lectures from a select few who seem unable to let people just enjoy a hobby that's typically about the passion for music and the emotions it creates. If someone wants to enjoy music in a different way then that's their prerogative but I feel that no one on these forums should be telling others they're doing it wrong or that they're not hearing what they say they are. We all have different ear shapes as well as brains that process and interpret the information we're receiving, so it's not clear to me why anything other than the listener's perception would matter for their enjoyment of the music or what they say they hear. No blind test is perfect enough to turn "perceiving" into pure "hearing" and no one does their listening in a vacuum where the DAC is the only variable.

Aug 2, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #457 of 613
That said it is easy to get frustrated (that’s emotive) when trying to discuss something with someone who is so blinkered by their own perceptions that they can’t for a moment consider something outside their own current thought process and certainly that isn’t constructive either.
I hear you. The passage I marked from your post is exactly what I meant when I posted the Family Guy scene on the previous page with the slippery frog as an analogy for a stubborn mind. When you have to explain every little thing because the other person does not bother to look up known facts and generally takes the stance of fight or flight.. I don’t bother with such people anymore, what a waste of time it is.

Then again I’m glad that occasionally other people appear who are actually interested in knowledge beyond subjective opinions. Cheers :beers:

Aug 2, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #458 of 613
…from a select few who seem unable to let people just enjoy a hobby that's typically about the passion for music and the emotions it creates.
No one seems “unable to let people just enjoy a hobby”, unless that hobby is just making up false assertions rather than “about the passion for music and the emotions it creates”. Let’s not forget that the commercial studios, engineers, record labels, distributors and the manufacturers of the equipment we use are not hobbyists, it’s a commercial/professional business and most of the technology we use was invented and/or developed by the telecoms industry, which certainly isn’t a hobby.
We all have different ear shapes as well as brains that process and interpret the information we're receiving, so it's not clear to me why anything other than the listener's perception would matter for their enjoyment of the music or what they say they hear.
It wouldn’t matter but the thread isn’t about “their enjoyment of the music”, it’s about DACs and if they/we can hear a difference between them.

G

Aug 2, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #459 of 613
No one seems “unable to let people just enjoy a hobby”, unless that hobby is just making up false assertions rather than “about the passion for music and the emotions it creates”.
You are unable to let people enjoy the hobby the way they want when you assert that the basis of their enjoyment is merely "making up false assertions." I would hope that you can see how that's belittling.
Let’s not forget that the commercial studios, engineers, record labels, distributors and the manufacturers of the equipment we use are not hobbyists, it’s a commercial/professional business and most of the technology we use was invented and/or developed by the telecoms industry, which certainly isn’t a hobby.
Do you have any evidence for any of this? It is entirely possible to be both a hobbyist and a business owner, and especially among smaller businesses that seems more common than not. Go to CanJam and talk to the owners of the businesses who are there - they are all hobbyists at heart. Producers and engineers are also not merely concerned with how the audio measures, as music is an art and therefore the concern is about how it will be perceived. This is an audiophile forum where much of the gear people are interested in was created and sold by like-minded individuals who aim to maximize the enjoyment of their listening, which comes down to perception and nothing else.
It wouldn’t matter but the thread isn’t about “their enjoyment of the music”, it’s about DACs and if they/we can hear a difference between them.
You're right that this thread isn't about the enjoyment of music, but as I stated it's impossible as a human being to separate "hearing" from "perceiving" since our ears are useless without our brains. No matter how scientific you'd like the world to be, that fact will always remain even when doing our best to eliminate biases and everything that isn't "reality." Therefore any differences someone "hears" between DACs will naturally be due to how they're perceiving the sound, and it's a futile exercise to try to get everyone to "prove" that what they're perceiving is what they're "actually hearing." Even the OP mentioned in this thread that they should have titled the thread something like "Can you perceive a difference between DACs" as that would get around the issue of those who want to nitpick the difference between the two words.

While this thread isn't strictly about the enjoyment of the music, this website as a whole is largely about how one can achieve greater enjoyment from their music. I would argue that's likely the reason people are interested in knowing whether others hear differences between DACS. And I have to say, what this thread most certainly is not about is the differences between DSD and PCM, which you played a big part in making it about for pages on end due to not letting an exchange go that was clearly going nowhere.

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #460 of 613
You are unable to let people enjoy the hobby the way they want when you assert that the basis of their enjoyment is merely "making up false assertions." I would hope that you can see how that's belittling.
If people get their enjoyment from making up false assertions, then yes, my explanation of the actual facts would somewhat curtail that enjoyment but the definition of an audiophile is someone who seeks or is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound, not someone who just makes up false assertions.
Do you have any evidence for any of this?
Sure, call any commercial studio and ask them if you can use it for a few days just for the love of it, without charging you.
Go to CanJam and talk to the owners of the businesses who are there - they are all hobbyists at heart.
Assuming they’re professional business owners, then “at heart” they need to at least put food on a table for themselves and their families.
Producers and engineers are also not merely concerned with how the audio measures, as music is an art and therefore the concern is about how it will be perceived.
I’m not arguing that you can’t be a professional and it’s also a hobby, I’m stating that the vast majority of music that consumers and audiophiles listen to is created by professionals, in professional/commercial studios, marketed by professional/commercial record labels, distributed by professional/commercial distributors and by definition a professional is not only a hobbyist. And incidentally, in order in order to “know how it will be perceived” producers or engineers must also be concerned with how the sound/audio measures.
… as I stated it's impossible as a human being to separate "hearing" from "perceiving" since our ears are useless without our brains.
Of course it is, sometimes separating “hearing” from “perceiving” is as simple as closing your eyes (McGurk Effect), other times we need greater levels of controlled testing.
While this thread isn't strictly about the enjoyment of the music, this website as a whole is largely about how one can achieve greater enjoyment from their music. I would argue that's likely the reason people are interested in knowing whether others hear differences between DACS.
I wouldn’t argue the reason why people would come to this thread. Some seem to get their enjoyment more from audio equipment than from the audio/music itself, some maybe to justify their purchases, maybe some get their enjoyment from being suckered into buying equipment that makes no audible difference, maybe some to just make up false assertions and some to maybe find some actual facts? That’s up to them.

I just stated/explained some actual facts and politely questioned some false assertions, why is that apparently such a terrible thing to have done here? Is this really only a forum for false assertions and politely questioning them or posting the actual facts is unacceptable? Is that really what an audiophile is supposed to be?

G

Aug 2, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #461 of 613
After reading through this thread I think it's pretty unfortunate that threads like this can't exist without devolving into condescending lectures from a select few who seem unable to let people just enjoy a hobby that's typically about the passion for music and the emotions it creates. If someone wants to enjoy music in a different way then that's their prerogative but I feel that no one on these forums should be telling others they're doing it wrong or that they're not hearing what they say they are. We all have different ear shapes as well as brains that process and interpret the information we're receiving, so it's not clear to me why anything other than the listener's perception would matter for their enjoyment of the music or what they say they hear. No blind test is perfect enough to turn "perceiving" into pure "hearing" and no one does their listening in a vacuum where the DAC is the only variable.
exactly.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #462 of 613
Sound, as @gregorio explained, is said to be first stored/treated in one area of the brain.
this could not be more wrong.

as any decent 5th grade science student could tell you, sound is fluctuations of pressure in a medium (like air) and gets nowhere near the brain. rather, the ear drum responds to the vibration and through bones in the ear it is transformed into electrochchemical signals which the brain uses.

constantly making the most fundamental and basic mistakes shows there is no reason to take any of these absolutist sermons constantly vomited on us at all seriously.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:09 PM Post #463 of 613

as any decent 5th grade science student could tell you, sound is fluctuations of pressure in a medium (like air) and gets nowhere near the brain. rather, the ear drum responds to the vibration and through bones in the ear it is transformed into electrochchemical signals which the brain uses.

constantly making the most fundamental and basic mistakes shows there is no reason to take any of these absolutist sermons constantly vomited on us at all seriously.
How dare you challenge them - they're just here to give us plebs the "facts". We should be grateful for their generosity!

Aug 2, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #464 of 613
I’m not sure if you are able to read yet, but if you are you may want to check the definition of sound, which has more than one meaning:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sound

It says

a : a particular auditory impression : tone
b : the sensation perceived by the sense of hearing
c : mechanical radiant energy that is transmitted by longitudinal pressure waves in a material medium (such as air) and is the objective cause of hearing

you seem to think sound is only what point c: refers to but forget that sound is also the sensation of the sound itself.

THIS could not be more wrong.

The pressure waves that reach the ear drum are NOT being transformed into electrochemical signals by bones. The middle ears tiny bones only transport the waves energy and amplify the signal.

The transformation into nerve pulses occurs in the inner ear, the cochlea performed by haircells. Not by bones.

I wonder who is making "most fundamental and basic mistakes" here..

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #465 of 613
If people get their enjoyment from making up false assertions, then yes, my explanation of the actual facts would somewhat curtail that enjoyment but the definition of an audiophile is someone who seeks or is enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound, not someone who just makes up false assertions.
I'm delighted that you're here to give us the actual facts - without your heroism we would all be lost in our false assertions and terribly inaccurate perceptions that lead us to believe there's more to being enthusiastic about about high-fidelity sound than how accurately the audio measures. How foolish of us! What a relief to know accurate measurements and low distortion are the only part of high-fidelity sound that one can be enthusiastic about.
Sure, call any commercial studio and ask them if you can use it for a few days just for the love of it, without charging you.
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're even replying to or trying to say here. I asked if you had any evidence that, as you put it, "the commercial studios, engineers, record labels, distributors and the manufacturers of the equipment we use are not hobbyists" and that "most of the technology we use was invented and/or developed by the telecoms industry, which certainly isn’t a hobby," neither of which you gave evidence for. Yes, I agree commercial studios are not hobbyists. But people working and creating at commercial studios, record labels, distribution and manufacturing companies are all individuals who can simultaneously be hobbyists as well as employees, and who might not share your belief that only measurements matter (which, note, is not the same as saying measurements do not matter and are not a piece of the picture, which is not something I've said).
Assuming they’re professional business owners, then “at heart” they need to at least put food on a table for themselves and their families.
Yes, of course? This still doesn't mean they can't be a hobbyist as well. Some business owners, like Zach at ZMF, started as hobbyists and have remained hobbyists even after making headphones and starting their companies. Some people like him even trust in their own ears, brains, and perceptions enough to put their own artist imprint on the tonality and frequency response of the headphones they make in a way that deviates from what is considered "neutral" or "accurate." And many of these businesses are better off for it, as people who are enthusiastic about high-fidelity sound are drawn to their take on how music is presented, even if it doesn't measure the most accurately.
And incidentally, in order in order to “know how it will be perceived” producers or engineers must also be concerned with how the sound/audio measures.
As I mention above, I've never said measurements don't matter, and I never would say that. I'm just saying it's only a piece of the puzzle when it comes to how things are perceived. This is something you also concede to by saying "producers or engineers must also be concerned wit how the sound/audio measures."
Of course it is, sometimes separating “hearing” from “perceiving” is as simple as closing your eyes (McGurk Effect), other times we need greater levels of controlled testing.
If you're in the business of stating facts, this is not one of them. No matter how controlled a test is, if a human is performing it then the sound is being perceived. There is no such thing as pure hearing without perceiving. We only "hear" sound once it's been interpreted by our brains, so absolutely no one on the planet is ever hearing anything without it being colored by our own biases, brain chemistry, experience, etc. This is okay and is actually one of the things that make life, and this hobby, interesting.
I just stated/explained some actual facts and politely questioned some false assertions, why is that apparently such a terrible thing to have done here? Is this really only a forum for false assertions and politely questioning them or posting the actual facts is unacceptable? Is that really what an audiophile is supposed to be?
There are no rules against stating facts in this forum, despite what you and others want to believe. The reason rules have been put in place is because the manner in which these "facts" (which sometimes have merit and sometimes don't) are presented is so often rude and condescending and seem to be used as a way to make the pure objectivists feel some sense of superiority to the rest of us. You are not politely questioning false assertions, you are insisting time and time again that people's personal experiences are invalid and that they're being duped. Can't you see how this would get tiring? You clearly have different priorities than some others here when it comes to what matters in this hobby, so can't you just let those others be without telling them they're biased and wrong? Of course we all have biases. I don't think anyone in this thread is trying to deny that. But we don't need to hear the same arguments over and over again incessantly. It's also strange to me that you feel people who claim to hear differences between DACs might claim so as a way to justify their expensive purchases, but you never mention that perhaps there is also bias on the part of the "objectivists" where they have incentive to hear everything the same to convince themselves they don't need the new shiny expensive DAC that their 'gear acquisition syndrome' might otherwise convince them to buy? If that's the case, I totally understand the desire to form an opinion that will lead to avoiding shelling out a bunch of money on a setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back