Can you hear a difference between DAC's?

Can you hear a difference between DAC's?

• Total voters
Apr 23, 2022 at 12:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 613

tlite

Head-Fier
Assuming same headphones, no EQ, and same amp- can you really hear a difference?

I really wanted to but just can't.

I'm leaving no 3rd option- just yes or no and if in the middle pick which one you think is the most honest...

(Bonus points if you post what DAC's you could or couldn't tell the difference between... FWIW I have tried a Motu M4, Dragonfly Red, and iFi ZenDAC v2, usually on Sundaras or HD6XX. I don't hear much of a difference, if any at all between those three.)

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:10 PM Post #2 of 613
If the transducer and amp are transparent and resolving enough, I can easily discern dac differences, often startling differences. Using my HD800 and Bha-1, I actually used to dac-roll if you will, and it was very eye opening at the time. There were some stark differences between the Eximus Dp1, Violectric v800, Audio gd ref 7, and a lower priced but punched above is weight Nuforce D100 (D1000? can't recall exact model). As a counterpoint I find it much more difficult discerning dac differences through a less resolving rig, in general. Fwiw

Apr 23, 2022 at 3:42 PM Post #3 of 613
Yes, but not always.

Some DACs which are incredibly similar, such as the Gustard X18 and Gustard X26 Pro, I cannot tell a difference between the two in a blind test.

Others I can but it will be dependent on the music, with some particular tracks showing a particular characteristic of a DAC more and making it easier.

And some DACs it's extremely easy to tell a difference between.

Apr 24, 2022 at 1:21 AM Post #6 of 613
Assuming same headphones, no EQ, and same amp- can you really hear a difference?

I really wanted to but just can't.

I'm leaving no 3rd option- just yes or no and if in the middle pick which one you think is the most honest...

(Bonus points if you post what DAC's you could or couldn't tell the difference between... FWIW I have tried a Motu M4, Dragonfly Red, and iFi ZenDAC v2, usually on Sundaras or HD6XX. I don't hear much of a difference, if any at all between those three.)

Apr 24, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 613
I can tell the difference depending on the filter they use, like the Topping D10s with it's sharp filter sounds better for music but not as good for 48khz gaming. The d10b I have is more detailed and in 48khz the filter is better, but for 44.1khz music it's not as good for music as the D10s.
My rule is with a similar sinad score, get the one that has filters best for the mode you run it in most. Then of course features and connections are worth paying more for.

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 613
And some DACs it's extremely easy to tell a difference between.
Which ones would you say might be easy to tell the difference between? Thx!

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 613
I can tell the difference depending on the filter they use, like the Topping D10s with it's sharp filter sounds better for music but not as good for 48khz gaming. The d10b I have is more detailed and in 48khz the filter is better, but for 44.1khz music it's not as good for music as the D10s.
My rule is with a similar sinad score, get the one that has filters best for the mode you run it in most. Then of course features and connections are worth paying more for.
That's interesting- never thought about trying with anything but music. Maybe that would reveal some other things.

Apr 24, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #10 of 613
Which ones would you say might be easy to tell the difference between? Thx!
Depends, I've tried quite a few :p

Gustard X26 Pro vs a Chord DAVE? Easy
DAVE vs Holo May? Easy
Gustard X26 Pro vs X18? can't tell

A friend and I built an ABX testing device for doing true blind tests on DACs/Amps
20220421_144404.jpg
1650875401901.png

Video of the prototype showing theory of operation:
https://streamable.com/tuuyzg

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 613
Yes, I can hear differences, but barely. And those differences I notice mostly don't indicate improvements nor do they favor one over the other, in most cases.
My 2001 Marantz CD 5000, which cost 250 euro at the time holds up perfectly well with my 2016 TEAC UD-301 and Marantz HD-DAC 1. Yes, I do favor the HD-DAC 1 in the end, but to be honest, with most material the CD 5000 sounds equally fine, just a tiny bit less refined and fluid.

Apr 24, 2022 at 7:08 PM Post #12 of 613
Last edited:
Apr 24, 2022 at 7:09 PM Post #13 of 613
Depends, I've tried quite a few :p

Gustard X26 Pro vs a Chord DAVE? Easy
DAVE vs Holo May? Easy
Gustard X26 Pro vs X18? can't tell

A friend and I built an ABX testing device for doing true blind tests on DACs/Amps
20220421_144404.jpg

Video of the prototype showing theory of operation:
https://streamable.com/tuuyzg
Off topic, but in your opinion what was the best D/S dac you've heard?

Apr 25, 2022 at 4:31 AM Post #14 of 613
Off topic, but in your opinion what was the best D/S dac you've heard?
It's a little hard to say for sure. Proooobably the Bricasti M1SE.

Apr 25, 2022 at 5:59 AM Post #15 of 613
Yes, and pretty easy. I can hear the difference between fairly simple dongle DACs (Meridian Explorer and AudioQuest Dragonfly) and quite expensive and advanced ones (Holo May and Chord DAVE). To be honest, every time I read such topics, I can't imagine how anyone can not hear it. The difference is very significant, in my opinion. Perhaps it is important how a person listens to music. When I sit down to listen, I do nothing else, even close my eyes. This is not music playing in the background during work or reading, but only a listening session.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back