Can you have a hassle free deal on Head-fi?
Mar 8, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #32 of 34
yes; I think its totally possible to have a hassle fee sale here on head-fi. regardless of my recent highly public issues, the vast majority of dealings I have had here have been quite pleasant actually. only one I can think of that was actually terrible. i've had a couple of other hassles, but not with the people concerned; just shipping problems and/or items related to mods not being as advertised correctly on ebay. in general this place is full of nice and reasonable people. but I agree with the fact that not many people actually post feedback. I think the number with me has been more like 1 in 3 or 1 in 4, at least one time even when I have started a feedback thread for someone as its been their first transaction. I did have someone try and take advantage of me early in the piece because I made the mistake of telling them I was really keen for the money because I had a couple of orders I had to pay for. he kept on loweriong his price for a large order and then cut his order to about a third its size, but still wanted the same price divided by 3. I put him on ignore in the end, something I should have done more recently

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:15 AM Post #33 of 34
I've only had one deal here, no problems on that one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 8, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #34 of 34
Zero posts and zero feedback is not such a big problem with BUYERS. At least as a seller, you can have some assurance by making sure you're paid before you ship the item.

If the payment goes into your PayPal bank account, and you have any doubts about the buyer, you can transfer the funds into another bank account. Don't ever keep a substantial balance in your PayPal bank account because they (PayPal or the people you transact with via PayPal) have been known to mess with it!

But assuming you've been paid and nobody will have further access to those funds (wait for the check to clear if it's a personal check, etc.), then there is no big risk in selling to an unknown newbie member.

But buying from a newbie SELLER with zero posts and zero feedback has caused a lot of our members grief! To help protect our members we now have a rule in place that restricts access to the Buy/Sell/Trade sub forums to only those members who have been registered from more than 30 days and have more than 50 posts.

While occasionally this rule serves as a bit of a hardship in the sense that we could have a member who has been registered for years, but yet has never posted much (and is still under 50 posts). He may want to sell his Sennheiser Orpheus system for an extremely fair price and has to turn to Audiogon instead. Although, in theory, this could happen, it rarely does. More often, we have the scammers who try to sell a pair of R10s at an EXTREMELY low price, but of course they don't own them.

So if you happen to see a for sale thread started by someone in any forum EXCEPT for the Buy/Sell/Trade sub forums, that means that the seller does not yet have access to those forums and is attempting to bypass the rules. It sometimes takes a while before such threads are noticed by a moderator or reported to us by other members. Please understand that if you see such a post and respond via PM and enter into a deal with such a member, you're doing so at your own risk (which I guess is always the case, but even more so in that instance).

Bottom line is that we do the best we can to keep our Buy/Sell/Trade forums free of scammers, but there is no way that we can guarantee any specific transaction and/or member that you choose to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back