Can you guys help me choose between these headphones?
Sep 19, 2014 at 9:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

YoshiokaKiyoe

New Head-Fier
Hi.

Well i´m from Peru, and i do not really have a music store where i can try some headphones, so i was reading a lot and i´m still very confused.

The other problem is that the headphones on my country are so damn expensive (like 150-200$ more than us stores), so i can only choose from amazon global shipping( i love that).

I want closed headphones, bcz i don´t want to bother ppl with my music.

And the last thing, i don´t mind if its portable or not, i just want a good sound.

Use

I Like to listen to ballad´s,pop and a bit of rock.

Source

I Will be using this (for now) whit an Ipad, then I´m planning to get the fiio x5. And i got a asus xonar essence stx on home (for now).

Sound Preference

I love the vocals and the sound stage, i´m not a big fan of bass.

Headphones

Just these one´s can be shipped to my home and are "good enough" (maybe i´m wrong guys so help me with this), yah that´s a problem, but i have to deal with what i got.

ATH-A2000x

Beyerdynamic T 70 P

Sony MDR1R

V-MODA Crossfade M-100

AKG K545
Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium 32OHM
Sennheiser Momentum

I think these are the only ones I´m able to get, if u guys know any other page that ships globally would be awesome.

Sep 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM Post #2 of 13
The DT990 isn't closed, and it leaks a lot. Also it's bassy and have a very forward treble - you might find it painful to listen to.

The A2000X is a great headphone, but I can't recommend them because they only fit well on certain head types.

The Momentums are decent, IMO.

The M100s have a lot of bass.

I can't comment on the rest because I haven't heard them.

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 13
  The DT990 isn't closed, and it leaks a lot. Also it's bassy and have a very forward treble - you might find it painful to listen to.

The A2000X is a great headphone, but I can't recommend them because they only fit well on certain head types.

The Momentums are decent, IMO.

The M100s have a lot of bass.

I can't comment on the rest because I haven't heard them.

Thanks, now i can rule out the dt990 and the m100s.

Anyone else have some opinion on the headphones i wrote there? gonna be waiting for other replys.

Sep 19, 2014 at 1:30 PM Post #4 of 13
Soundmagic HP100/150 - easy to drive and balanced sounding with good soundstage for a closed HP

NAD HP50 - excellent mids and bass quality, easy to drive, average soundstage size, but comfort is very hit or miss, I returned mine because it was too uncomfortable.

Sep 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 13
  1. The M100 have a bass-heavy v-shaped sound signature. Solid build quality. Uncomfortable without XL memory cushions as ear cup depth is quite shallow. Folds up and comes with a carrying case. Cheapest price I've seen recently is $260ish. Great for EDM, electronic, hip-hop, or any bass-heavy genres. Recommend for bassheads.

1. The Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear actually has an on-ear fit for most users. May be a comfort issue if you prefer over-ears. Recommend demoing prior to purchasing or purchasing from a place with a good return policy due to the on-ear fit. Extremely lightweight. Great build quality with stainless steel and real leather. Does not fold up. Comes with a carrying case. More neutral-oriented sound signature with a slight bass boost. Very good sound quality. Can be found at discounted prices nowadays.

1. The Sony MDR-1R will be refreshed soon with the new Sony MDR-1RA. Old MDR-1R has a colored lush mid-centric sound signature with a mid-bass boost. Great for rock. Extremely extremely comfortable to wear. Build quality is average so may be a concern if you are rough with your headphones. Can easily be found sub-$200. 

1. AKG K545: similar sound signature as the AKG K550 except with more bass quantity. Most users seem to prefer this as the K550 sometimes get characterized as too bass-light. Slightly less sound stage compared to its big brother, but great sound quality overall. Usually $250 or less. Would highly recommend at that price point. 

Hope this information is helpful. I have personally owned all of the headphones I have described above, so let me know if you have any further questions. My personal recommendation would be the K545. 

Sep 19, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 13
  Soundmagic HP100/150 - easy to drive and balanced sounding with good soundstage for a closed HP

NAD HP50 - excellent mids and bass quality, easy to drive, average soundstage size, but comfort is very hit or miss, I returned mine because it was too uncomfortable.

Thanks for ur reply, but i can´t buy those headphones from amazon, and i dont know any other global shipping web page that sells them.

1. The M100 have a bass-heavy v-shaped sound signature. Solid build quality. Uncomfortable without XL memory cushions as ear cup depth is quite shallow. Folds up and comes with a carrying case. Cheapest price I've seen recently is $260ish. Great for EDM, electronic, hip-hop, or any bass-heavy genres. Recommend for bassheads.

1. The Sennheiser Momentum Over-Ear actually has an on-ear fit for most users. May be a comfort issue if you prefer over-ears. Recommend demoing prior to purchasing or purchasing from a place with a good return policy due to the on-ear fit. Extremely lightweight. Great build quality with stainless steel and real leather. Does not fold up. Comes with a carrying case. More neutral-oriented sound signature with a slight bass boost. Very good sound quality. Can be found at discounted prices nowadays.

1. The Sony MDR-1R will be refreshed soon with the new Sony MDR-1RA. Old MDR-1R has a colored lush mid-centric sound signature with a mid-bass boost. Great for rock. Extremely extremely comfortable to wear. Build quality is average so may be a concern if you are rough with your headphones. Can easily be found sub-$200. 

1. AKG K545: similar sound signature as the AKG K550 except with more bass quantity. Most users seem to prefer this as the K550 sometimes get characterized as too bass-light. Slightly less sound stage compared to its big brother, but great sound quality overall. Usually $250 or less. Would highly recommend at that price point. 

Hope this information is helpful. I have personally owned all of the headphones I have described above, so let me know if you have any further questions. My personal recommendation would be the K545. 

Thanks for ur reply! So u think the k545 will be better than the ath a2000x or the Beyerdynamic T70P? 

Sep 20, 2014 at 12:14 AM Post #7 of 13
  Thanks for ur reply, but i can´t buy those headphones from amazon, and i dont know any other global shipping web page that sells them.

Thanks for ur reply! So u think the k545 will be better than the ath a2000x or the Beyerdynamic T70P? 

never tried the ath a2000x or beyer t70p so cannot comment on that :p hahah

Sep 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM Post #8 of 13
Since there is a $150-200 premium when buying them in Peru, I wonder if having a US based friend buy them for you and then ship them to you. I am not sure if Peru Customs would be a concern. But for the huge additional price they cost there, I would look into it. Good luck!

Sep 21, 2014 at 4:21 PM Post #9 of 13
The ATH-A2000x I actually would recommend, but it might be a good idea to get some black rubber band to fix up the 3D-Wing Design, as it is a tad loose, the rubber band will tighten it up. (play with size & Strength of the band to fit your preference)

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #10 of 13
Have the k845s, which is just the 545 plus Bluetooth. ANd that's basically the 550 with a smaller sound stage and more bass. You will probably want the 550's

Form my experience the 845s has punchy bass (but doesn't overwhelm at all, in fact I think the sound is neutral with a bit of a mids emphasis), the akg mids and clean highs. It also has above average sound stage (the 550 will sound even bigger and more open) and the superb imaging gives you a non congested yet intimate sound. A solid all rounder.

It's not without its problems however, there is a slight (very slight) treble roll off, the vocals which are very realistic and visceral, can get shouty at times. It's also pretty unforgiving. But my cans haven't been fully burned in yet and the sibliance problem is slowly get better already and my amp fixes the treble roll off while making the bass even punchier. 

Another option is the K271 mk2 from akg, they should be cheaper than the 550's, offers more accessories and if the k545 is just a 550 with more bass and less sound stage, the mk2s should have slightly more prominent mids. The mk2 also has a better soundstage than my k845s so it should be as good or close to the 550's sound stage. It's also more comfy with the classic akg band. The bass should be as out of the way as you like it, but it's also ultra deep and detailed. However it doesn't sound as open as my k845 and definitely the 550s. Still a solid choice if you like mids and not bass.

So tldr, from your list I would choose the 545s, but the 271 and the 550 are better choices for your tastes.

Nov 15, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #11 of 13
"I love the vocals and the sound stage, i´m not a big fan of bass"

Try to find some AKG550, those are VERY good headphones given that quote from you. And should be hopefully cheaper than the 545

Users who are viewing this thread

Back