Can Woo Audio 2 drive the Beyerdynamic T1 properly ?
Nov 27, 2010 at 11:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

akart

100+ Head-Fier
The rating on the T1 is 600 ohms. The rating of the Woo Audio 2 is from 30 ohms to 600 ohms. The T1 is therefore on the very outer edge of the rating on the Woo Audio 2. Is this all right? I would imagine that there is some kind of a distortion in amplification when the amplifier is operating at the boundaries.

The sweet spot is usually in the middle of the operating range, at least from my experience of the simple multistage amps that I have designed in school. I've gone through the threads about the WA2 being used with the T1 and people say that it sounds awesome. Maybe it is more awesome with the WA5 since the operating range extends to 800 ohms?

Any opinions on this?

Thanks a lot,
AJ

Nov 28, 2010 at 3:37 AM Post #2 of 16
Dear,

I use my WA2 to drive my DT880/600, which is nice to match. I dun think driving the T1 will have any difference at all.

However, you may ask Jack and he is nice to answer any inquiries for his amp.
dt880smile.png

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 16
A few people on head-fi have a Woo2 and the T1's (Skylab springs to mind) and state that its a very good match.

Nov 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #5 of 16
The WA3+ is also a very good match for the T1 if you are looking to save money. I find it gives them more than enough power.

I briefly heard the WA2 and it had the same sound signature as my WA3+, but the WA2 has more power. I would think it would drive the T1 better than my WA3+.

Nov 28, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 16
The WA2 does an absolutely fantastic job driving the T1 - it's my favorite amp with the T1, in fact.

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:07 PM Post #8 of 16
Thanks a lot for your replies everyone.

I have settled on a Beyerdynamic T1 for a headphone. I am trying to decide between the WA3 and the WA2. Budget is not a deal-breaker, but if I have exactly the same sound from WA3 as from the WA2, I would not play extra $ for the WA2. Also, the money can be spent in getting tube/parts upgrades for the WA3.

Do the Sylvania 7236 NOS power tubes make a difference in the audio signature for the WA2/3 with the T1?

Thanks everyone!! :)

Nov 28, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 16
If you have the $$$, the WA2 is a much better amp.

Nov 28, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #10 of 16
Yes the WA2 and WA3 have the same or nearly the same tone, but the WA2 is a more powerful amp. IMO they both can power the T1 perfectly fine, but the WA2 will give you more control over the T1's drivers. Bass would be tighter and details would also stand out more. Just more refinement of the sound. Either way you will be happy with the one you pick.

Nov 29, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 16
Thanks Zombie_X and Skylab!

I think for now I am going with the T1 and WA2. I have to still decide on the DAC - any ideas? Ideally something in the $500 range would be preferable. I was thinking about the DAC from Cambridge Audio, but a couple of folks on this forum seem to have had not that great an experience with the DAC.

Thanks,
AJ.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:42 AM Post #12 of 16

Quote:
Thanks Zombie_X and Skylab!

I think for now I am going with the T1 and WA2. I have to still decide on the DAC - any ideas? Ideally something in the $500 range would be preferable. I was thinking about the DAC from Cambridge Audio, but a couple of folks on this forum seem to have had not that great an experience with the DAC.

Thanks,
AJ.

I've had a DacMagic for about 2 years, It's been a solid piece of equipment. I used it with my WA2 and now a WA22. It's more versatile than anything else in the price range making it something you can use for a long time.  

Dec 3, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #13 of 16
I use the Music Hall DAC25.2 and I believe it's a great DAC for the money. Just as good as the DACMagic if not better, plus you can use tubes on the RCA output.

Dec 4, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #14 of 16
Thanks a lot, @fatcat, @zombie. I will get one of these DACs (havent really decided which one yet) ... Will keep you folks posted if I decide to purchase something :)

Dec 4, 2010 at 9:55 AM Post #15 of 16

Quote:
Thanks a lot, @fatcat, @zombie. I will get one of these DACs (havent really decided which one yet) ... Will keep you folks posted if I decide to purchase something :)

i have the dacmagic > wa2 > t1 setup youre referring to.  if your budget for a DAC is 500, i dont know if you should get the dacmagic.  i got it because i have limited desktop space but its only been a month or 3 and im already wondering what a new dac would bring.  i dont have money to upgrade right now because im upgrading my IEMs but when i do have some spare money, ill be looking for a new DAC b4 anything else.

Edit: i think i would have kept the musichall dac25.2 i purchased but it was damaged and he didnt have any replacement.  its really a beautiful unit.  i purchased it solely on zombie's recommendation.  wish i couldve used it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back