Can these CK10's be saved?!? Help please!
Jun 5, 2011 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

mephiska

100+ Head-Fier
So after gushing over the famed durability of my CK10's, murphy's law struck and my dog got ahold of them.  Pulled them right off the nightstand while I was watching TV with the wife in bed.

He has a taste for foam eartips, so far this is the third set of IEMs that he's eaten.  First was my Shure E3c's that I had for 2 years, then he ate my Panasonic HJE9000's (which survived the ordeal, surprisingly due to the detatchable cables.  He threw it up and it still works!).   Now my CK10's have been eaten.  Here is what they look like now.

Can they be salvaged somehow?  The earbud itself is in okay shape, its just the cable that got chewed off, though there's not much of it left sticking out.   

Is there somewhere I can send them to recable them?  Do they need to be reshelled completely?  

Please help, I hate being without them! 

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 11
Rewire them, After all you can't use em now anyways or you would turn them into Customs, Maybe you should look into a Dog house and keep the dog outside, Or buy an Otter box or something to stop the dog from getting at them. 
popcorn.gif
blink.gif

Nat

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 11
They came with a case, I'm just going to have to start using it every time I'm not using them.

I have very little to no experience soldering, so I can't really rewire them myself.  Is there a service or somewhere I could pay to have them rewire them?  

Jun 5, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #4 of 11
If the Shell is damaged then you can't really rewire them but you can reshell them from http://uniquemelody.co.uk/ but it will cost you around £200 inc the wire, They will sound better and you will have customs then.

Nat.

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #5 of 11
Thanks again for the replies.

The shell isn't damaged, just the wires.  A little bit of the rubber on the relief is gone, but that's it.  I'd rather avoid customs because at that price I could just buy another pair of CK10s.  

Is there a service that does just rewiring?  Someone on the forums that does it as a hobby for a price?  

Jun 5, 2011 at 6:18 PM Post #6 of 11
That sucks! There should be a way to open the housing and then do a repair. It looks like the one side would end up being a bit shorter than the other though. Maybe check the cable forum or DIY forum for someone who may be able to help you out.

Jun 6, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #9 of 11
Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

I got in contact with Audio-Technica repairs.  They will replace them for $216 + return shipping.  Not too bad, cheaper than getting another new pair I guess, so I'm just going to go that route.

I emailed Fischer hearing as well, they don't do recabling, only complete reshells.  Their price is very nice though.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Reshell them into customs. You can do it for $80 with companies like Fischer Audio, Unique Melody, and Kozee. 

where?  how?

I went to each of those company's sites and none had an offer anywhere near $80 as of 2011-08-04...

could you elaborate, if possible?  thanks much :)

As for Audio Technica's repair service... uhh, thats rape... I've seen Amazon sell the CK10's on special for $260, I think I'd just buy a new pair and sell your broken ones to someone with a good magnifying glass and and soldering gun. (like me)  lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back